The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 11, 2021, 02:01 PM   #26
stagpanther

Enjoy the cartridge--in the end all that matters is that you like it. I may revisit it one day--but having one blow up on me has given me pause for thought.
Old June 11, 2021, 02:03 PM   #27
mehavey

You and me both Stag -- but figured out the factors (brass and powder-specific) and avoid like the plague now.
On a supporting note, have there been other incidents that fit the pattern ?
Old June 11, 2021, 02:19 PM   #28
stagpanther

Quote:
You and me both Stag -- but figured out the factors (brass and powder-specific) and avoid like the plague now.
On a supporting note, have there been other incidents that fit the pattern ?
Google for it--used to be lots of "issues" but maybe they are fading away as time goes on. Winnie may have also changed their specs (same thing happened to the valk as I recall), there's a video on YT someplace where a Winnie rep at shotshow mentions in some cryptic language that they worked out a few kinks.
Old June 11, 2021, 11:02 PM   #29
hounddog409

"The 350 Legend is a solution for a non-existent problem"

This is a very dumb statement giving all the states with cartridge restrictions.

Is a very good solution to a very real issue.
Old June 12, 2021, 12:31 AM   #30
Txhillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddog409 View Post
"The 350 Legend is a solution for a non-existent problem"

This is a very dumb statement giving all the states with cartridge restrictions.

Is a very good solution to a very real issue.
50 states, and only 4 or 5 with stupid straight walled cartridge restrictions.
Yeah, That's a bunch of them isn't it!
Old June 12, 2021, 05:58 AM   #31
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44AMP
Unless you are restricted by some state law, there are many, many better rounds that can be put in a bolt action rifle.
I live in OH. That plus a few other states create the demand for this cartridge based on their laws..

That said, without the state law, I’m thinking 300 BO, 350 Legend, 300 Savage, 30-30 would be about right for most hunting here.
Old June 12, 2021, 06:02 AM   #32
mehavey

300 Savage in a `99 is the very definition of just 'pure class'
Old June 12, 2021, 06:02 AM   #33
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch
If you are going to go full custom, a Kimber action with the bolt face opened up from 223 size to 350 L size would work, but typically these kinds of "cool projects" get a harsh reality check when it comes time to execute them and the prices start rolling in and stacking up. If you were using a push-feed action, a Remington Model 7 action would be ideal, but CRF adds a few twists to the road.
I agree. This is why this is an internet idea. If Ruger did it for under $700, maybe. Even then, OH is a rough place to hunt. It is wet, sloppy, add in some mud, falling down and days of rain and this rifle becomes a rust bucket.

Last edited by Nathan; June 12, 2021 at 06:07 AM.
Old June 12, 2021, 06:06 AM   #34
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
The 350 Legend is a solution for a non-existent problem.
I would agree until I bring in the youth hunter. We started asking our youth to shoot grandpas 12 ga. That sucks for most, then the 20 ga. My daughter hates the recoil.

350 Legend though from my Win XPR is enjoyable for her to shoot. So, it helps bring in the recoil sensitive with an effective round.

Quote:
I've never understood those stupid laws in the few states that have them. And have also wondered why the citizen's (Hunter's) of those states don't protest or boycott those states Wildlife agencies to change those restrictions.

They make no sense!
In OH, you are always shooting at a house....we’ll never intentionally, but behind every tree is a house or a road, even in the country. Generally miles away or completely hidden by trees. The land is flat with few rolls. We need a round that is guaranteed to hit the ground and dissipate energy by ground tumble. I know many rounds can do this, but how do you mandate this to folks who just want to grab a rifle and a box of ammo without knowing much about ballistics.

Last edited by Nathan; June 12, 2021 at 06:13 AM.
Old June 12, 2021, 06:18 AM   #35
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther
Get a cheap 350 legend rifle first and see if you really like the cartridge (it's one of the few I've come across that I think is ridiculous), otherwise a big exercise in gunsmithing for something that just isn't worth it.
I have one. Winchester XPR. From a practical viewpoint it is a decent rifle. Accurate, good trigger, mag fed, nice Cerakote finish.....

No way I would buy a custom 350 legend. I’d be at $2500 minimum starting with a Ruger base rifle.
Old June 12, 2021, 06:51 AM   #36
stagpanther

Quote:
I know many rounds can do this, but how do you mandate this to folks who just want to grab a rifle and a box of ammo without knowing much about ballistics.
I wonder what the statistics are on accidental shootings in states that have these restrictions vs the ones that don't. I suspect that per capita, hunters/bullets flying around during hunting season in the states with restrictions vs the ones that don't the correlations to cartridge size/type is ambiguous at best. I have a muzzleloader that is superbly accurate well beyond 300 yds and can deliver a hammer of energy too. So then the argument seems to come down to what is light enough for kids. What ever happened to sneaking up on deer with a 357 mag lever gun? I know bow hunters do it with success.
Old June 12, 2021, 09:18 AM   #37
hounddog409

"50 states, and only 4 or 5 with stupid straight walled cartridge restrictions.
Yeah, That's a bunch of them isn't it!"

Whats your point ?

Still a stupid comment no matter how you try to defend
Old June 12, 2021, 11:32 AM   #38
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddog409 View Post
"50 states, and only 4 or 5 with stupid straight walled cartridge restrictions.
Yeah, That's a bunch of them isn't it!"

Whats your point ?

Still a stupid comment no matter how you try to defend
yes, 4 or 5 states that have thousands of hunters that now have better options.
Old June 12, 2021, 01:58 PM   #39
44caliberkid

Buy a Ruger American or Scout rifle in 350 Legend and make a Mannlicher stock for it.
Old June 12, 2021, 02:12 PM   #40
MarkCO

Kind of like it, but not sure it solves any deficiencies except putting a straight wall case firing 9mm bullet in the DI AR platform.
Old June 12, 2021, 04:14 PM   #41
Scorch

Man, this one went sideways pretty quick.
Old June 12, 2021, 04:34 PM   #42
GeauxTide

358 Winchester or a 338 Federal, in a 20" barrel, gives you proper big game bullets and the greatly available 308 Winchester case. Why in the world would a company introduce a .355 caliber rifle when no .358 caliber, with excellent big game bullets, has ever been successful?
Old June 12, 2021, 05:54 PM   #43
mehavey

The Hate is strong here.

With the exception of Stag, how many of the naysayers own or load for the LEGEND ?
Old June 12, 2021, 06:37 PM   #44
105kw

What is the max case length for Ohio? Is it the same in all restricted states?
Old June 12, 2021, 06:45 PM   #45
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
The Hate is strong here.

With the exception of Stag, how many of the naysayers own or load for the LEGEND ?
I don't hate it. I think its a great idea. I just think it was implemented poorly from a handloading perspective. If your using factory ammo and buy a box a year to hunt with, your golden. If you want to hand load you are you are in a complicated spot.

1- You can buy the special projectiles for the caliber at about 0.28 per bullet for the cheap stuff.
2- you can use 9mm FMJ for plinking but HP may have problems at those velocities
3- use 357mag bullets, but you have to get more tooling to swage the bullets to the correct dimensions to load.
Old June 12, 2021, 06:58 PM   #46
stagpanther

Quote:
The Hate is strong here.
Might be reason(s) for that.
Old June 12, 2021, 07:13 PM   #47
mehavey

With the exception of you & I, Stag, I doubt many here have delved
into the guts of actual work with the cartridge/rifle at issue.

If in error, folks pile in w/ pushback.
Old June 12, 2021, 08:26 PM   #48
stagpanther

Quote:
With the exception of you & I, Stag, I doubt many here have delved
into the guts of actual work with the cartridge/rifle at issue.

I don't assume that, in fact I usually assume most people here know far more than I do. I have my opinion based on my personal experience, nothing more.

I think "not well thought out" is a very apt description.
Old June 12, 2021, 09:04 PM   #49
mehavey

as noted....
Quote:
Quote:
Old June 12, 2021, 11:38 PM   #50
Geezerbiker

Awhile back there was a wildcat round called the .357 Max AR. I think it was much better thought out round and is also based on .224 brass that hasn't been necked down. I suppose you could call it unfinished .223 brass anyway there's a couple places that sell it that way from what I've heard.

Tony