The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM   #1
stagpanther

Possible jump in prices on the horizon

Had an interesting conversation with a brass manufacturer yesterday, he told me to get ready for significant jumps in both brass and copper components as the raw materials supplies are tightening. That can also lead to delays in production runs.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I can believe it. There was an article about a decade back wherein Sierra mentioned they try to buy metals during market downturns and buy enough to have stock for a couple of years. Well, the pandemic has certainly eaten up most of that time, plus there has been all the panic buying going on simultaneously, so I bet that supply has been depleted and now they are having to shop when prices are high just to keep their people working.

The metal shortage is about supply lines and shipping availability. One refrigeration equipment supplier told me steel is now effectively rationed. They used to buy 90 days worth at a go, but the supplier will only sell them 30 days worth at a time now. He's trying to help out all his customers by having at least some amount available, so he won't let any one of them draw the stock down too far.

If you look here, you can see how metal prices have gone up over the last year. Copper up 73%, lead up 23%, Aluminum up 57%, iron ore up 226%. Something has to pay for it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Most manufacturers have already announced price increases. Some went into effect in May (with more likely to come). Most roll in from July through September.
Minimum 10-15% across the board (all manufacturing).
15-40% for ammunition and components, depending upon brand and product type.
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Don't forget runaway inflation at 5%, already....

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

But the talking heads say it is "good" inflation. It is only impacting food, housing, fuel, transportation, and raw materials.
We're fine.
Just fine.