The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 12, 2018, 08:54 PM   #51
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSixpack View Post
If you build your lower out as a pistol you can then build it as a rifle and back again..

if you buy a pre-built rifle you can never reconfigure it into a pistol.

another advantage is you can buy just what you want, It will probably cost less then a pre-built as well.

I bought some lowers after sandy hook, I didn't have a AR15 yet and could not afford at the time to buy outright so I bought the lowers as insurance against a ban.

So you can build a rifle bit by bit without plunking out the money all at once.

Unless it was too good to pass up I would not buy a pre-built ar15

One downside though.. no matter how much you paid for lower or who's name is stamped on it you're unlikely to get as much as a colt, s&w, ruger, etc.

It does not retain value like those brands would.
Pretty much everything right here. One of the big reasons I recently have considered buying lowers is ban insurance.

I also have specific builds in mind. A long range optimized AR with a 24 inch heavy barrel, a super lightweight AR (not sure if I should go 16 inch rifle or 10 inch pistol) that can reach out to 300 yards, and a 9mm Glock pistol AR.

Those are AR's that a build is perfect for.

Definitely building a rifle piece by piece is a plus for some, it's basically like layaway only you decide what you want to add next and when.
Old March 12, 2018, 10:10 PM   #52
riffraff

Good stuff guys thanks..

What is the actual cost ballpark? Like for instance if it's just a basic nothing fancy AR w/ iron sights, is it $300 or $500 or more?

It's an attractive idea for me just nothing I've vetted out.

Something similar I've been through building fishing rods and engines, can often save about 30% but that's with the obvious labor & a minimum of some little headaches... For some things though, often the real cheap stuff or real high end stuff, costs are so close there's nothing to save. Same way with guns?
Old March 13, 2018, 12:01 AM   #53
marine6680

Price will vary based on a few factors.

You can build a bottom of the barrel for around $400 maybe a bit less if you shop around.

Or you can spend over $1000, on something like a basic BCM.

You have to determine your desired quality level and features.

Plain steel barrel, nitrided, chrome lined...

A mil spec build, or just one that functions well enough for the range.

Using PSA freedom line parts, $500-600 seems about right for the final cost. That would be a good rifle.
Old March 13, 2018, 04:40 PM   #54
riffraff

Sorry for the thread derailing and thanks so much for the info guys!

I am putting together my next bundle of gun errata and after poking around a bunch I'm sold on adding a couple lowers in there. Hopefully madness of the latest gun debates will not put a damper on that.

One item on my list was a 2nd 15-22 but in thinking about it I'd really like to put a dedicated 22LR setup together with an actual AR lower. Will not be as cheap or light but seems like it would be a better built rifle that way.
Old March 14, 2018, 12:46 AM   #55
marine6680

I have a dedicated 22lr build. I like it a lot. I used a DPMS 22 upper, but I don't think they are still available. It was made by Nordic components, which may still offer it.

The CMMG 22 upper is nice, but expensive.

My DPMS 22 upper looks externally just like a regular upper, nothing really there to give it away like some others.
Old March 14, 2018, 05:52 PM   #56
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff View Post
Sorry for the thread derailing and thanks so much for the info guys!

I am putting together my next bundle of gun errata and after poking around a bunch I'm sold on adding a couple lowers in there. Hopefully madness of the latest gun debates will not put a damper on that.

One item on my list was a 2nd 15-22 but in thinking about it I'd really like to put a dedicated 22LR setup together with an actual AR lower. Will not be as cheap or light but seems like it would be a better built rifle that way.
Don't worry about it, I've gotten enough consensus from this thread to understand that Anderson makes a fine product that's not garbage and that's really all I wanted to know because I have a thing about putting money where it's needed, not where it's put to show off.

This is coming from somebody who has bought a snub Rock Island .38 and a 4 inch Gen 1 Charter .357 and a Henry .327 Big Boy all in the span of less than a year.

It's not about the money, it's about the purpose. There's me almost quoting The Joker in the Dark Knight.

From what I've gathered, a lower is a lower and if it has some funky grip screw threads and some sharp corners, big deal, it doesn't impact what happens down range. A cheap .38 that's going to hang out in a special place and not be used much doesn't need to cost $400 and be limited to 5 shots. A 5 shot .357 that's going to be shot mostly with .38's and might be carried some doesn't need to be a Ruger SP101. A .327 rifle (the only one like it on the market) that will be shot a lot and tested with lots of handloads does need to be high quality.

But, onto the topic of why I'm responding to your post... I'm not big into .22 LR AR-15's. The size of the rifles is far larger than the .22 needs and I'm not a fan of added size when it doesn't need to be there. I'm generally not a fan of any semi-auto rifle or pistol that's a .22 that's not in a design dedicated to the .22 rimfire cartridge.

Except pocket pistols because they are useful for training.

I just think something like the Ruger 10/22, Mossberg Plinkster, Walther P22/Ruger SR22 are great platforms for the .22 cartridge and deviating from them for an AR or 1911 or Glock is a questionable endeavor.
Old March 14, 2018, 06:16 PM   #57
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6680
The CMMG 22 upper is nice, but expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthtellers
But, onto the topic of why I'm responding to your post... I'm not big into .22 LR AR-15's. The size of the rifles is far larger than the .22 needs and I'm not a fan of added size when it doesn't need to be there. I'm generally not a fan of any semi-auto rifle or pistol that's a .22 that's not in a design dedicated to the .22 rimfire cartridge.

Except pocket pistols because they are useful for training.

I just think something like the Ruger 10/22, Mossberg Plinkster, Walther P22/Ruger SR22 are great platforms for the .22 cartridge and deviating from them for an AR or 1911 or Glock is a questionable endeavor.
TT, not to talk you out of your position, but here is the other side.

I've built a (small) bunch of 10/22s. They can be made accurate and can get expensive very quickly. The magazines are durable, but not the easiest to load. The bolt manipulation can be less than intuitive.

A dedicated AR in 22lr with S&W magazines is easier to load, easier to clean,. can be reasonably accurate (less than 2 MOA), has the ergonomic superiority of the AR (which makes a difference in three position shooting), uses a bunch of good two stage triggers that don't cost $300, and unlike the S&W 15-22 is strong enough to sling up very tightly with and maintain POI. The shortcoming of the CMMG 22lr I am finding is the frequency of firing pin replacement.

10/22 are a good layout overall; the dedicated AR22 offers a different set of virtues.
Old March 14, 2018, 07:37 PM   #58
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
TT, not to talk you out of your position, but here is the other side.

I've built a (small) bunch of 10/22s. They can be made accurate and can get expensive very quickly. The magazines are durable, but not the easiest to load. The bolt manipulation can be less than intuitive.

A dedicated AR in 22lr with S&W magazines is easier to load, easier to clean,. can be reasonably accurate (less than 2 MOA), has the ergonomic superiority of the AR (which makes a difference in three position shooting), uses a bunch of good two stage triggers that don't cost $300, and unlike the S&W 15-22 is strong enough to sling up very tightly with and maintain POI. The shortcoming of the CMMG 22lr I am finding is the frequency of firing pin replacement.

10/22 are a good layout overall; the dedicated AR22 offers a different set of virtues.
Hey, no offense taken. When it comes to this type of arrangement with .22 LR, it's a different strokes type of deal.

You hit on a lot of good points, the trigger one especially. I think if Ruger is going to sell a BX-25 trigger, it should be half what it currently is. The cleaning issue isn't a big deal to me because I can drop a bolt into the ultrasonic and it's done. Does it take longer with dedicated .22's over an AR? Yeah, but it's only a few more mins and I have many of those to give in life.

The biggest dislike I have of the AR-22's is the magazines... they're ridiculously oversized for the cartridge. It's part of the reason I hate the 25 round mags for the Mossberg Plinkster so much. The 10/22 on the other hand, while still bulky, are reasonable in size.

I think when you bring up the expensive of increasing accuracy of a .22 LR you can make that argument for any .22 pistol or rifle. The .22 cartridge, given it's light weight, the way the cartridge fires, the whole package... you're dealing with an inherently inaccurate cartridge. IMO, it doesn't matter what you shoot it in, it's what you're shooting that matters.

Some .22's are just able to handle any ammo well, some can't be accurate with anything other than Tenex match ammo, and then you have the rest. The dedicated .22 LR rifles and pistols are built to be good with a wide variety of ammo. Converted guns... I can't say the same.

I will say a polymer lower AR .22 pistol does intrigue me, but I'm already entangled with the Ruger Charger and because of the ubiquity of that platform, I think it's the better choice over an AR.

But an AR .22 is not far behind the 10/22 and I think given the QC issues Marlin has had recently it has surpassed the Model 60 in many ways. Mossberg Plinkster brings in the Bronze for low cost, reliable, great 10 rd magazines, and lightweight.
Old March 15, 2018, 01:33 AM   #59
stagpanther

Or you could go .17
Old March 15, 2018, 07:15 AM   #60
PlatinumCore16

I will also say that because of this thread, I had no concerns buying an Anderson lower. It was a *relatively* good price at my LGS and I like giving them my business, so I pulled the trigger.

As much as that is used here, that pun will never get old
Old March 15, 2018, 09:11 PM   #61
jonnyc

Just built another Anderson lower last night. Only problem I had was with the Noveske ambi!
Old March 15, 2018, 09:37 PM   #62
rickyrick

Sometimes they sell for $29

But I bet it will be a while before they sell them that cheap.

First one I bought in 2014 was $40 at the LGS
Old March 18, 2018, 10:33 AM   #63
riffraff

Thanks again guys!

So it's funny when I went to the shop to put my little order together, they had 2 Anderson lowers (style w/ the trigger guard solid), were $60/each. They are now in my pile to pickup when a rifle shows up.

I have an M&P 15-22 and the thing is the balls. What a great value for < $400.. And ya the mags are goofy compared to say a 10/22 - haven't opened one up but I scratch my head as to why a 25 round 22LR mag somehow has to be the same length as a 30 round 5.56 mag. Have the plinker tactical 35 round mags and the things are ridiculously long..

At one point in time I was looking at an SR22 (the 10/22 not the pistol) versus 15-22 and what I could not get my head around was the weight of the SR22 for what it is - a fairly expensive 10/22. I thought that was what I wanted based on nostalgia of 10/22's but after holding it just wast not impressed - seems built well no doubt though..

But I do wish S&W would've just taken a regular AR lower, even a plastic one, and dropped their upper & parts around it. Very well may be as heavy as the ruger SR22 that way but then it's heavier with some benefit in my eyes.

Will stew on it a bit before I go ordering anything, more of a plan for later this year - might even just say the hell with it and pickup another 15-22, set it up a little different and do something else w/ the first lower I put together.
Old March 18, 2018, 10:39 AM   #64
stagpanther

you're over-thinking it methinks.
Old March 18, 2018, 03:07 PM   #65
TruthTellers

Even at full price of $50 at Primary Arms, there's a limit of one per order. Anybody know where I can buy 5 Anderson lowers at once?
Old March 18, 2018, 05:17 PM   #66
riffraff

Truth - I don't know squat about this stuff but if you just go to a local shop they probably will sell you whatever they have on hand and will be willing to order whatever they do not. That 1 a person stuff likely only applies to consumer sales.
Old March 18, 2018, 05:43 PM   #67
stagpanther

Quote:
Anybody know where I can buy 5 Anderson lowers at once?
Umm...Anderson?
Old March 18, 2018, 07:33 PM   #68
rickyrick

Sometimes Anderson has a special on a pallet of recievers, don’t remember the price but was several thousand dollars.

I used the term pallet to add comedic value to my post, but you can get a special on a large number of recievers. I think they are sequential serial numbers.