The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 15, 2011, 07:29 PM   #1
red caddy

Mosin-nagant carbine firing pin "Q"

I've got a Mosin M-44 "carbine" that is light striking the primer.

How far should the pin nose protrude from the bolt face?

How is this measured?

When I pulled the bolt down, the firing pin was screwed all the way into the knob. The pin nose was just barely touching the primer when fired.

I would think that once the pin nose protrusion is set, the firing pin spring preload would hold the adjustment, am I right?

Thanks, Paul
Old March 15, 2011, 08:24 PM   #2
MikeG

Read this page.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinDisassembly.htm

The page explains in disassembly how to decock the bolt, and firing pin adjustment at the start of reassembly.
Old March 16, 2011, 01:20 AM   #3
red caddy

MikeG,
Thanks for the quick reply. That link is a great piece of information for any M-N owner, I printed a copy for the customer and one for my working folder.

I don't have that nifty tool pictured, but the measurements are clearly given as 75 and 95, can I assume the unit of measurement is millemeters? Looks about that deep in the pictured tool.

Would you happen to know why the slot is always to be aligned with the index mark? (yea, I'm anal about little bits of gun knowledge like that)

Thanks again, Paul
Old March 16, 2011, 05:24 PM   #4
MikeG

It's actually in inches, .075" and .095". Russia was only converted to metric by the Soviets in the 1920s.

The slot has to be indexed with that mark because of the safety system. There's a rectangular section of the firing pin that matches a rectangular channel in the bolt. You apply the safety by pulling the cocking knob and turning it to the left (similar to decocking). The finger on top of the bolt will rest on the flat on the left side of the receiver. This locks the bolt shut and rotates the firing pin out of alignment with it's channel so it won't reach the primer. Very positive but hard to do and slow to apply and take off.