The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 5, 2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Lalo

Is my revolver now an "Assault Gun" :-)

Thought I would have a little fun with the NY Safe Act BS. If I load 8rds in my "clip" have I become a criminal in NY?

Old March 5, 2013, 01:49 PM   #2
alex0535

Yes.

In the state of New York, expect to be a criminal for being a gun owner sooner or later. All it takes is 8 rounds in a gun, how much farther will they go?
Old March 5, 2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Polinese

That offense is considered worse than luring a child and a few other forms of sexual assault. You evil evil thing!
Old March 5, 2013, 02:21 PM   #4
kayakersteve

Man, I can not believe you confessed to this and actually showed a photo. Expect NYBATF to be at your front and back door by dinner time. Sorry, buddy.
Old March 5, 2013, 03:24 PM   #5
coldbeer

Bloomberg is gonna show up at your house. You better hope he doesn't find any beverages bigger than 16 oz.
Old March 5, 2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Single Six

You have my sincere sympathy for having to live in a state where such silliness is forced upon the law abiding gun owners....but at least you've kept your sense of humor.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:19 PM   #7
PBW60

Glad I don't live in NY, I have two assault revolvers.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Welcome to the site.

If you live in New York don't ask and don't tell. Get involved with your local gun rights group and protest this insanity with every minute of your spare time by writing letters, making phone calls and donating to whoever is the leading fighter for your rights.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 5, 2013, 04:27 PM   #9
22-rimfire

They will eventually get around to DA revolvers too. Wait and see. One shot for one trigger pull.... it's semi auto.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:34 PM   #10
9mm

It's a good thing those are magazines and not clips!
Old March 5, 2013, 07:54 PM   #11
BoogieMan

How long before someone is making 8 rnd moon clips with 1 solid spot? I smell oportunity
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 5, 2013, 08:18 PM   #12
Dondor

What about a 2pc moon clip, much like the new S&W Governor has a 3pc moon clip? 2 4pc clips?
Old March 5, 2013, 08:22 PM   #13
PatientWolf

"Assault Revolver"??? You know it's evil with those AR initials.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:25 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

I figure it is only a matter of time until the antis figure out a term to use to make revolvers evil. Then they will be included in an "assault weapon" ban - anything over two shots.

Jim
Old March 5, 2013, 08:57 PM   #15
bigclubs

I read the safe act posted on the NY website and revolvers are exempt from the 7 shot magazine regulation. The really disturbing section falls under the penal law sectrion that if not rewritten, all firearm owners regardless of the type of firearm will be guilty of a class B felony. The article states that owning (1) any firearm or (2) owning a firearm persuent to above conditions regarding an assualt weapon, AR15 with 1 item that have not registered with the state. So under (1) we all will be commiting a felony just for owning a firearm.. LOL, watch all government employees will be exempt from the law.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:20 AM   #16
Lalo

(Quote): I read the safe act posted on the NY website and revolvers are exempt from the 7 shot magazine regulation.(UnQuote)

If so..just another example of a recklessly written law..it's OK to have 8,9,10,12 rds in a revolver...but not in a pistol (or long gun)?
Old March 6, 2013, 06:02 PM   #17
Nanuk

Quote:
What about a 2pc moon clip, much like the new S&W Governor has a 3pc moon clip? 2 4pc clips?
Those are called 1/2 moon clips and 1/3 moon clips respectively.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 6, 2013, 06:19 PM   #18
BillM

Quote:
If so..just another example of a recklessly written law..it's OK to have 8,9,10,12 rds in a revolver...but not in a pistol (or long gun)?

I see potential for the resurrection of the Dardick. I can see a magazine fed
revolver, with capacity of 15 or so. Crossbreed that with the Webley
Fosbery----now we have a 15 rd semi-auto revolver!

Dardick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKE2YwtcTXE

Webley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR9LckGnfO4
Old March 6, 2013, 09:43 PM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

Assault Gun

Assault Gun already has a definition. Also,from the German, Sturmgeschuetz.

It is a tracked, armored vehicle mounting a cannon for infantry support. Used extensively during WWII from 1940 on, the German designs were turretless. Other nations also used the concept, some designs had turrets, most did not.

Visit any hobby shot website and look at Armor, and you will find dozens of model kits of the various vehicles. Please let us hope the anti gunners don't try to steal and corrupt this term as well!

The New York law is a fine example of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. NO ONE who only has a half assed clue about the materials they are regulating should ever be in a position to do so. Sadly, it seems an awful lot of people in state and federal governments fit in this category.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:05 PM   #20
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigclubs
I read the safe act posted on the NY website and revolvers are exempt from the 7 shot magazine regulation.
Reread it. The website I've seen only says that a revolver is not considered an "assault weapon". Believe it or not, that's NOT the issue.

Issue #1 is that it's illegal to place more than 7 rounds in ANY gun unless you are attending a sanctioned competition at an organized shooting range.

Issue #2 is that the SAFE Act also includes all sorts of regulations regarding "Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Devices" (LCAFD's), and the definition of an LCAFD is written in very broad terms that include a "drum... or similar device". It is NOT clear than 8-10 shot revolver cylinders are exempt from this definition, and a LCAFD is treated very much like an "Assault Weapon" under the law, e.g. registration is required, and sales or manufacturing of new ones are forbidden.

If NYS has issued any sort of clarification stating that a revolver cylinder is NOT a LCAFD, I haven't heard about it. There are several ongoing threads about this and similar topics, and most NY residents have found that the NYSP is being very vague and wishy-washy when asked such questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigclubs
The really disturbing section falls under the penal law sectrion that if not rewritten, all firearm owners regardless of the type of firearm will be guilty of a class B felony.
The definition of "firearm" under NYS law is somewhat different than the common-sense everyday definition of the term, i.e. a device that launches a projectile from a barrel using a chemical propellant.

The NYS definition is:
Quote:
"Firearm" means (a) any pistol or revolver; or (b) a shotgun having one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length; or (c) a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length; or (d) any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise if such weapon as altered, modified, or otherwise has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches; or (e) an assault weapon. <Provisions re: how to make the measurements omitted for brevity.>
IOW the definition of "Firearm" includes handguns, SBRs, SBSs, and so-called "assault weapons". These weapons require registration. Other non-"firearm" bang-stick thingies do not.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:35 AM   #21
9mm

Quote:
"Assault Revolver"??? You know it's evil with those AR initials
+1 Better "ban" than those scary "AR's"
Old March 7, 2013, 09:15 AM   #22
JED1177

Bloomberg....

is not going to show up at your door.

He spent alot of money to get the Mayor's "people" from CHICAGO to do that for him. .
Old March 7, 2013, 09:22 AM   #23
MagnumWill

You'd better hope your revolver isn't black or FDE! And you thought EBR meant "Evil black RIFLE"! Hah! Think again!
Old March 17, 2013, 05:51 PM   #24
magnum777

I live in New York too, first the 7 round magazine does not go into effect until April 15, 2013(according to Ruger's website) This law was so ridiculous rushed in, they are still making amendments to it. But you are supposed to be grandfathered in. if you already own the magazines.
Old March 17, 2013, 06:45 PM   #25
Deaf Smith

And folks.. what if you just pack two or three 7 round guns. Doesn't that make it 21 rounds?

Don't these numbskulls see any nutjob, presuming the OBEY the law, they will just carry two or three guns and spare mags?

Deaf