The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 20, 2011, 02:06 PM   #26
rickyrick

Don't misunderstand, I am not suggesting that anybody use varmint bullets. I use them because I have no room for error. The pigs almost without fail, are standing near livestock and when I decide to take the shot I wanna be sure the round stays in the pig.

I had reservations about that decision until the first time I used the Varmint bullet on a pig. I was so pleased that I haven't picked up a 30 caliber since.

But this works on my situation, at my close ranges. If I can't shoot behind the ear or low behind the front leg, I don't take the shot... it takes discipline, but there are plenty of chances to kill pigs.
Old August 20, 2011, 02:12 PM   #27
Bernie Lomax

Quote:
An excellent choice is the Winchester 64gr PowerPoint (its in a silver Super-X box). It is my permanent AR load whenever I am shooting at something living. Its not always easy to find so get a few boxes when available. Its labeled as a CXP2 class cartridge so it is intended for deer, though I use it for smaller critters as well.
For deer (or any other medium game) I would also recommend the 64 gr power point. For goblins, however, I'd recommend a good JHP instead. When I used to use a Mini-14 for HD purposes, I loaded it with the Remington 69 gr. JHP, which is supposed to be a very good manstopper.
Old August 20, 2011, 09:17 PM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

We jinrully don't be huntin' no men in the Hunting forum. Fuhgeddaboudit.
Old August 20, 2011, 10:05 PM   #29
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
But this works on my situation, at my close ranges. If I can't shoot behind the ear or low behind the front leg, I don't take the shot... it takes discipline, but there are plenty of chances to kill pigs.
Discipline becomes more and more important as the margin for error drops.

Said another way, MAKING the shot is very important. PICKING the shot is even more important. One MUST be willing to let an animal walk away if it never offers a good shot.
Old August 21, 2011, 01:05 PM   #30
603Country

I have waaaay too many pigs, so if I see one I will blast him with whatever I have in my hands. The margin for error comment is correct, so if I'm seriously hunting deer or pigs I take the 260 or 270 with me. Gives me much more of a margin for error to use the bigger calibers, but on pigs I've also done well with the 220 Swift and the 223. I don't and won't hunt deer again with the Swift or the 223. They'll do the job, but that isn't the job they were designed for.