The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 10, 2011, 07:13 AM   #1
dajowi

Marking brass

Was wondering, who here marks their brass?
Old May 10, 2011, 07:38 AM   #2
mehavey

As in occasionally w/ a Sharpie pen for load info, or run-out amount & direction, anomalies, etc ?
Old May 10, 2011, 07:40 AM   #3
madmo44mag

I do.
I use aerospace / aircraft stencil ink.
I ink the case heads a dark blue, red or green.
The ink dries in seconds and wears very well.
It will go through the tumbler 3 - 4 times before needing to be re-inked.
Stands out at the range for easy collection.
Old May 10, 2011, 08:14 AM   #4
Uncle Buck

I have brass with my own head-stamp, which is used when I am shooting with someone else who saves their brass (.45 Colt).

For other rounds in which I do not have a personalized head-stamp, I use a sharpie and mark the head of the round.

I also use different color sharpies when I am developing a new load. (I.e., red is 4.5 grains, black is 4.7 grains, blue is 4.9 grain.) That way it is easier to carry everything out to the back porch and not have to worry about confusing which load is which.
Old May 10, 2011, 08:43 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

I color the primers for different type loads.
Old May 10, 2011, 09:32 AM   #6
grubbylabs

I color my heads when developing loads. Then mark the info on a label or 3x5 card. For example if a load starts at 40 grains then that one get blue the next increment gets green then red then black then a combo of the those 4 colors like red and blue or black and green or something. It just depends on what the charge range is for that cartridge. Other wise I pick up all brass at the range and sort when I get home.

I have a few friends who reload, I give them the brass they can use and keep the rest for trade or what ever. By the way last time I had a significant number of a certain caliber I wound up with a gun in that caliber

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old May 10, 2011, 10:07 AM   #7
hornetguy

I usually do little flowers and smiley faces on mine.

Seriously... the only time I mark them is if I'm developing loads, to differentiate between "small, medium, and large"...
Old May 10, 2011, 10:37 AM   #8
woody wood

i use sharpie for when i work up to some really hot loads-from blue to red to black being very carefull.
i have also used liquid black patina that is used for stain glass lead.i put liquid in a tray and stand an empty unprimed shell in it.it blackens within 60 seconds.
i do that for the shells i have opened up the flash hole and am using for rubber bullets and primer only setup. that way when i go to reload them i know not to use for regular loads. works good!!
Old May 10, 2011, 10:41 AM   #9
brickeyee

When working up loads I often number primers with fine sharpie (just in case they get out of order in the cartridge box).
Old May 10, 2011, 12:48 PM   #10
dahermit

Layout dye as used by machinists. It comes in many colors with blue being more common. I use both blue and red. One brand name is Dykem.
It comes in a little container with its own brush. It can be cleaned off with rubbing alcohol, but will tumble off also.
The red is noticeable enough that no one will claim your cases.
Old May 10, 2011, 09:53 PM   #11
C7AR15

Nail polish

It will help if you take the wife along....
or you could buy it in Drag!!!!

Anyway - Go to the Dollar store or ?? and buy bright colors - Red, Blue,
Yellow etc.......

Nail polish, when it dries is really hard stuff almost like an epoxy mix.

I use it to identify my brass at our very busy range.

Also use it to mark my keys for trigger locks.

A swipe of it on your tools .......

For RIfle Brass,

I use an Automatic centre punch. ( push down until it snaps forward)

This is used to leave a small mark on the case head to indicate the number of times I have reloaded that case.
JD
Old May 10, 2011, 11:47 PM   #12
NESHOOTER

I as well when I am shooting the same cal in bolt/semi-auto and I don't move stations. I mark the base of the case.
Old May 11, 2011, 12:14 AM   #13
That'll Do

I only mark my brass if I'm working up a bunch of different loads. Color coding makes it easier to keep track of everything.
Old May 11, 2011, 11:37 AM   #14
madlink

mark for different loads

That'll Do says
Quote:
I only mark my brass if I'm working up a bunch of different loads. Color coding makes it easier to keep track of everything.
Agreed!
Old May 11, 2011, 11:50 AM   #15
zippy13

>I color the primers for different type loads.
Ditto
Old May 11, 2011, 12:14 PM   #16
Edward429451

I do not mark my brass, but I do take good notes. I have a few allen wrenches that have a small dab or two of blue nail polish on them that tells me it fit something on the Dillon so I can pick it out fast.
Old May 11, 2011, 05:05 PM   #17
serf 'rett

I know it's a little off track, but does any of this stuff leave marks or residue in the weapon? I could see where the machinist dye might fly, but might abolish the nail polish...because wouldn't it melt with the high temp and possibly get in places where one wouldn't want it to and gum up stuff like the firing pin hole, extractor and other assorted gizzards and innards?
Old May 12, 2011, 07:34 AM   #18
Locoweed

I use a Lee hand priming tool and when I feel a primer go in a little bit too easy it means the primer pocket is starting to get loose. I put a slash across the head and primer with a black felt pen and that tells me to throw the case away after it's fired.
Old May 12, 2011, 08:11 AM   #19
Don P

The brass that I see marked is at competition matches and it is the 38 super shooters that I have seen marking their brass. Makes it a lot easier for them to find their brass.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 17, 2011, 11:19 AM   #20
Crazy Reformer

Marking Brass

I mark all of my reloaded brass because the head stamp is not what it says it is. Due to the availability and cost of brass in 7x57 Mauser I reform any 06 or 270 brass that I find to 7mm. I prefer Milsurp brass to commercial brass because I do not have to worry about the headstamp markings. If someone happened to pickup one of my casings and tried to reload it they would find out real quick because the case is about .250" shorter and just start to necksize.
Old May 17, 2011, 11:25 AM   #21
Saltydog235

When I'm developing different loads to test I load between 5 and 10 rounds. I'll take a marker and color each headstamp a different color and record that in my log. Then I can determin which load is best. If none of them work out, a simple run through the tumbler cleans the marker off and I can start over without having to sort brass.