The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 16, 2010, 07:02 PM   #1
ltmcleoed

Small of The Back Carry

Anyone have any opinions about it? Any problems? I'll be getting my conceal carry permit here soon and I'm planning on using a left handed iwb holster(galco royal gaurd) for my main holster. Thanks for input in advance
Old February 17, 2010, 11:41 AM   #2
The Great Mahoo

Small of Back carry presents a few problems. They are comfortable, and conceal very well when you are standing.

However, when you sit, stoop, or otherwise bend, they tend to stick out like a massive tumor on your back. Also, the cover garment is likely to ride over the grip and get caught, leaving your gun exposed for all to see. Lastly, the can be very uncomfortable to sit with one one, since you will be resting your weight against it, pressing the gun into your back.

Please consider all this before you buy SoB. They are nice in theory, but I find it very uncomfortable, as do many others. I'm not saying you can't do it, but think about how you spend much of your time, and what problems that might present themselves to you in your day.
Old February 17, 2010, 11:43 AM   #3
OldMarksman
Staff

How about the possibility of serious spinal injury in the event of a fall?
Old February 17, 2010, 12:33 PM   #4
The Great Mahoo

[QUOTEOldMarksman]How about the possibility of serious spinal injury in the event of a fall? [/QUOTE]

I have heard much about this, but am beginning to wonder how much of a problem it truely is. It sure would hurt like hell, but am not sure it would be enough to cause any fractures or such that wouldn't have been caused anyway in most cases. Of course, falling onto your gun is never going to feel good.

I am wondering how likely falling directly onto your back is, anyway. I would think most falls would have one landing on their hips, falling a bit to one side.

Something else to consider, but I am less convinced now than before.
Old February 17, 2010, 03:27 PM   #5
Don H

Quote:
I am wondering how likely falling directly onto your back is, anyway.
I have slipped on ice and fallen flat on my back twice. There's no doubt in my mind that a firearm over the spine would have resulted in fractures of the lumbar spinous processes, at the very least.

I'd think that retention could be an issue for sob/mob carry.
Old February 17, 2010, 04:49 PM   #6
highvel

Wish I didnt buy one, very nice leather, pretty actually, but

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old February 17, 2010, 05:28 PM   #7
brickeyee

You do not have to center the gun over your spine.

Try about a 5:00 o'clock carry.
Old February 17, 2010, 06:08 PM   #8
jcowan

My father who is now 76 has carried sob his entire life. That is the main reason that I have not. Growing up, whatever the event, everytime my Dad bent over everyone can see his weapon. Even after he stood up, as previously stated, his shirt or jacket would now be between the weapon and his back. I prefer 4 o'clock. You will need to try each and it will cost you a few dollars in holsters that you don't like. I just recently bought a Front Line IWB holster for my Glock 19. It is a great holster,it is used by the Israeli defense force, the leather is awesome and you can tuck your shirt in. The problem is that I have been carrying very low, whats called deep down or deep cover and I cannot wear this holster that rides a little higher, it just feels doesn't feel right. I think you might be better served buying a cheap suede type holster and try a few different positions and then buy a good holster for that position.
Old February 17, 2010, 06:43 PM   #9
dairycreek

Quote:

Simple suggestion - but great!

GOOD SHOOTING
Old February 17, 2010, 07:00 PM   #10
Rattlehead

Quote:

+1

That's how I roll...

(IWB, FWIW, which helps with the concealment)

Last edited by pax; February 18, 2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old February 18, 2010, 03:54 PM   #11
mr.matt

Wear it where it's comfortable and most easily concealed. End of story. Everyone is shaped differently.
Old February 18, 2010, 06:42 PM   #12
ltmcleoed

Quote:
+1

That's how I roll...

(IWB, FWIW, which helps with the concealment)
Lol, 5 o'clock is looking about right

Last edited by pax; February 18, 2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old February 18, 2010, 08:04 PM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
However, when you sit, stoop, or otherwise bend, they tend to stick out like a massive tumor on your back.
+1 to that.

Count on buying a couple of different holsters, IWB and OWB before you really decide on how you are going to carry. I can't guess that it'll be IWB or OWB, but I can guess that it won't likely be SOB.

I'd suggest OWB, strong side at 8 o'clock if you are a lefty. See how that works for you and experiment if need be.

A couple of CCW tips. No matter how you carry, remember that you'll most always need to dress around your gun.

Second tip, get a good leather gun belt. No matter what holster you select, without a good leather gun belt, you'll have issues.