The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 18, 2009, 11:14 PM   #26
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Your Bodine is showing.
A visit to the taxidermy shop for scraps(garbage can) to match DNA from a carcass found on a shooting preserve, How is that hard to understand.
Thanks, but not mine. Just re-explaining the question since you didn't answer what was being asked.

However, you can help me out here. I didn't see in the article or the video clip where it even said that DNA testing was done before the warrant was issued. What am I missing?
Old May 18, 2009, 11:24 PM   #27
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Ya'll do realize that in MANY states a game cop doesn't need a warrant to force his way into your home/property to search for illegal animal parts and can take what he considers "evidence" with him....
Brent
Old May 19, 2009, 06:22 AM   #28
Gbro

Quote:
However, you can help me out here. I didn't see in the article or the video clip where it even said that DNA testing was done before the warrant was issued. What am I missing?
Investigative DNA might not be revealed at any point.
Kind of like a poker hand, it may cost you to see the other hand

Quote:
Ya'll do realize that in MANY states a game cop doesn't need a warrant to force his way into your home/property to search for illegal animal parts and can take what he considers "evidence" with him....
That "IS" a common misconception that has been around for many years. Its BS. Unless there are blood trail kind of evidence(figure of speech).
The Conservation Office is highly trained in getting "permission" to enter private property.
Here in MN a Conservation officer was thought to be able to open a fish house on a frozen lake and do a surprise compliance check. until a meth lab was found in production and the bad boys were set scott free because there was no warrant. Today a Conservation Officer must knock and ask, You can say no and they go away. Unless they have a warrant
Old May 19, 2009, 08:29 AM   #29
Double Naught Spy

I spoke with a buddy of mine at USFWS about DNA in cases. Granted, this case is not a USFWS, but a Utah case, however I doubt the procedures necessarily vary that much. Basically, he said that they did DNA even prior to having suspects or warrants depending on the seriousness/priority of the case, which I found interesting given the time and effort involved. In fact, he said they may do whole workups on DNA, serology, hair, feathers, hide, etc. as needed even before there is an actual suspect if the case is assigned as being high priority.

Determining priority can depend on numerous factors. Certain types of animal cases often take precedent over others, such as if a lot of carcasses of animals are found or if the animal is a high status animal such as a bald eagle that has been shot. Then there are the aspects of the investigation such as if the animals are potentially linked to a larger or ongoing case, such as trafficing in poached animal parts (i.e. bear gall bladders to the Asian market, for example).

Those which are not tested on a priority status have various tissue samples taken and stored for future testing/analysis as needed.

So did they do DNA apriori the warrant in this case? Maybe or maybe not, but they can get DNA from antler and identify individual animals. So antlers can be tied directly to the individual carcass from which they originated if there are samples of each to match.