The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2009, 01:48 PM   #1
OneQuikSix

Machining Hornady Shellplate?

I was wondering if anyone had ever thought about machining 5-10 thousandths of an inch off the top of the Hornady shellplate (for LNL presses). The reason I ask is I am having some difficulty resizing some .223 brass using both full length and small-base resizing dies in my Hornady LNL press. I've screwed the resizing die down to the point at which it makes contact with the shellplate (per the instructions). In order to get cases properly resized, I have to exert a tremendous amount of force on the press handle. I feel like I am within a ft/lb of ripping my press out of its mount on my bench. If my shellplate was slightly thinner, I'd be able to properly adjust the depth of my resizing die.

Here's a thread I started a few weeks ago addressing my original problem http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=349422
Old April 28, 2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Doby45

Seems like it would make more sense to just have the die turned down a bit. Chuck it up in a lathe and knock off a few thousands.
Old April 28, 2009, 02:04 PM   #3
kraigwy

You'd be better off cutting a couple thousands off the bottom of the die. You'll weaken the shell holder allowing the change of pulling the rim through giving your a stuck case in your sizing die.

I had to that, machine about 4thousands off the bottom of the die, works great.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 28, 2009, 02:37 PM   #4
Shoney

The problem could be solve more easily by using a Small Base Die.

The Small Base Die sets are intended for use auto, semi-auto, and lever action rifles so that the loaded round chambers and extracts easily. The Small Base Sizer Die sizes the case from the shoulder to the head of the case a couple of thousandths smaller than a Full Length Sizer Die.

Good Shooting!!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 28, 2009, 03:07 PM   #5
OneQuikSix

Good idea about machining the die...I'll try to convince one of the guys at work to help me out with the lathe. It's funny how much time I've invested studying the problem from one side without considering the possibility of any other alternatives. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old April 28, 2009, 03:33 PM   #6
F. Guffey

Nothing suspect about the perceived strength of the progressive press, the shell holder acts as a cantilever without balance on the opposite side, I can not imagine a 223 case whipping one of my presses but If I was having difficulty and thought the case was tough I would determine it's effect on the press and die, after sizing and before lowering the ram I would measure the gap between the shell holder and die, with the die screwed down an additional guesstimate of a turns there should not be a gap, if there is a gap, the case is too tough to be sized and is causing the plate, press and or die to flex. If there is not a gap and the case is sized all it is going to be sized, before grinding I would use a feeler beneath the case and deck of the shell holder, this raises the case as opposed to lowering the die or grinding the bottom of the die to increase the amount of sizing, with the feeler gage in place, try sizing another case, or two.

F. Guffey