The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 15, 2012, 01:15 AM   #1
mellow_c

Getting close, alllllmost there.....

I ran into a guy shooting this last weekend in the mountains. He was shooting a Glock 17 with an AAC suppressor. Turns out he has a business and sells firearms and suppressors.

He gave me his card

I've been convinced for a while that I wanted to get a Glock 21sf and a "can" for my first "silencer" experience. Yes, of course, because the .45 is subsonic. After meeting with this guy, and him letting me shoot his gun, I'm blown away at the potential for quiet 9mm shooting. The guy was shooting 158gr factory fmj ammo with an AAC can and Lone Wolf barrel. It was amazing, if I shot into the snow, I heard virtually nothing, if I shot into a log, then I'd hear a snap. Then switching to 115gr ammo, i'd hear a crack (of course)

At this point, I'm thinking that I'd like to just get a suppressor for MY glock 17. Then I dont have to spend so much money for a new gun, new mags, more expensive ammo, AND the suppressor. But here is my concern......

We all know that a .45 ACP fmj slug is a good defensive round. But a pencil point fmj 9mm will zip right through with minimal damage. One of my questions is, are there 9mm rounds that are heavy enough to be subsonic which are also expansive enough to transfer energy into the target? I would think for general range use, I'd probably pick up a bunch of 158 gr fmj ammo to enjoy absolute quiet, and if I wanted to go cheaper and was ok with some extra noise, I'd use regular 115gr fmj. But for defence I would want to have sub sonic ammo AND a hollow point of some sort.

I could use some advice on all that.

Also, I've read some about reliability with different barrels, suppressors and ammo. My last question is.... Can I buy an AAC can, Lone wolf barrel, put them with my Glock 17, and expect it to be as reliable as it's always been? If not, why? And what would I need to concern myself with to get optimum reliability?

Thank a ton to anyone who can help. Right now I'm very close to investing in a suppressor for my enjoyment, and for the reduction of noise polution And I'd greatly appreciate anyone's opinions or advice

Last edited by mellow_c; March 15, 2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old March 15, 2012, 06:18 PM   #2
rjrivero

Gold Dot 147gr is subsonic in my Glock. From what I've read, it seems to do pretty well in self defense applications.

In order to "get your glock to run right" with subsonics and a suppressor, it shouldn't be too terribly hard to do. You'll want to wait and pass judgement AFTER you have a few rounds through the suppressor, as to break in the "booster" device. FTE's and Stovepipes are the usual complaint for a new suppressor. Once the booster is worn in, you'll find its pretty reliable.

I got a non captured guide rod and a few different weight recoil springs because I play with handloads a lot. I don't think that will be necessary with factory loads.
Old March 15, 2012, 07:51 PM   #3
mellow_c

Old March 16, 2012, 02:24 AM   #4
Willie Lowman

A booster also known as a linear decoupler or a Neilson device is a part added to most hand gun suppressors so the gun will still function with the added weight of the suppressor on the end of the barrel.

The booster is a piston that uses some of the gas from the fired round to basically push the suppressor away from the gun as it is fired and at the same time pushes back on the barrel so it can unlock and the gun can cycle.

It is late and I'm tired so look here for more explanation... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzzle_booster

The boosters are the bits with the springs around them to the right of the suppressor cans in this picture. Each company makes them a little different but they all do pretty much the same thing.

Last edited by Willie Lowman; March 16, 2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old March 20, 2012, 07:55 PM   #5
mellow_c

Well, I guess thats about it.