The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 19, 2024, 05:16 PM   #1
ligonierbill

44 Special vs. 357 Magnum

I'm not much of a pistoleer, but sometimes I carry a general purpose revolver in the woods. (Since I grew up in Pennsylvania and hunt there, it has to be a revolver.) The competitors are a Ruger Blackhawk "Flattop" 5 1/2" 44 Special and a Ruger GP-100 4" 357 Magnum. The 357 is more powerful by a third, but the Flattop sends a bigger bullet. It's also lighter and handier. I'm leaning towards the 44, but that's the debate. I should mention that I always shoot the GP-100 single action, so that advantage is mute.

What do you think?
Old April 19, 2024, 06:37 PM   #2
The Verminator

The .357 might be more powerful on paper, but I don't buy that in real life and especially not with the short barrel.

The only advantage would be the ability to use .38 Special for certain applications and the general availability of ammo.

But you can reload and have light loads in a .44, too.

I vote for the .44 Special.
Old April 19, 2024, 06:45 PM   #3
TheFlash

My vote would be for the .357 loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo...
Old April 19, 2024, 07:16 PM   #4
ligonierbill

I should have noted, no commercial ammo. I load everything I shoot.
Old April 19, 2024, 07:20 PM   #5
Pumpkin

If you are an experienced reloader, you can load some safe, powerful 44spl.
If not, maybe the .357 would be better.
One thing to remember about Buffalo Bore, they sell some stout 44spl too.
Probably equal or better than a .357 as a woods gun.

Last edited by Pumpkin; April 19, 2024 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Turible spellin
Old April 19, 2024, 07:38 PM   #6
jmr40

You're probably not going to need to defend yourself from any large predators. Possibly black bear in Pennsylvania, but human threats are still going to be the most common problem.

For that the 357 is my choice, you can learn to shoot DA. Ammo is a lot cheaper and easier to locate and there are LOT more options. You can shoot everything from light 38 Special loads up to 180 gr Buffalo Bore loads at 1400 fps.

Even though you handload you still have more options and less cost with 357. And I wouldn't try to duplicate them hot heavy for caliber loads from Buffalo Bore and others handloaded. Those loads are expensive, but a couple of boxes should last a lifetime. They aren't plinking loads.

Of course, if you just like the SA revolver it will do the job too. Buffalo Bore makes some 255 gr loads @ 1000 fps for the 44 that would be a pretty good choice for large predator defense. I just prefer the option of being to shoot and reload faster for the real threats.

I understand why you have to have a revolver, but my woods gun is a 10mm pistol. But my 3" Smith 65 is a pretty close 2nd choice.

Winston Churchill
Old April 19, 2024, 08:03 PM   #7
rclark

For me in the woods even here in Montana it is either a SA .44 Special or .45 Colt. Loaded to around 1000fps or so. 240gr SWC for the .44 (Skeeter load), and 255gr SWC with some HS-6 under it for the .45 Colt. Good defensive power for SD situations that we hope never happen. Easier on the ears too than the peanut .357 . As a reloader, I don't 'buy' ammo either.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 19, 2024, 08:31 PM   #8
GeauxTide

I'm a reloader, so I have both. The 44 Special, with a 250 SWC at 1000fps, is powerful, accurate, and much quieter than the 357. I also prefer my 45 Colt, throwing a 285gr SWC at 1000fps. Penetration measured in feet.
Old April 19, 2024, 09:53 PM   #9
44caliberkid

Since you load your own, I’d go 44 Special in the Blackhawk. You can load them a smidge hotter in the Ruger. A 240 grain slug at 950 - 1000 fps, or a 180 gr. JHP at 1000+ would out class that .357.
Old April 19, 2024, 10:55 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Personally I've always felt the factory .44 special loads to be on the weak side.

I would (and did) go with a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. Got the convertible so I can shoot ACP, too. (almost never do, but I can)

I don't run the heavy for caliber bullets the internet is in love with these days. Don't have a need or a use for them.

I load 240s/250s in .44s and .45 revolver rounds and 158s in .357s. Those are the slugs that made those calibers reputations, and they don't work any less well today.

In the same calibers the SA revolver is usually lighter than the DA revolver. For a woods gun on your hip or under your shoulder, that matters.

Forget the high round count and blazing speed of Hollywood movies and TV, only hits count, only good hits matter and good hits require aiming. The SA revolver is fine for anything in the woods, even two legged predators, once you're skilled with it. Nothing wrong with a good DA gun, nothing at all, its just different. Different feel to the recoil due to different grip shape and weight, ITs all a matter of how you train yourself, if there is any advantage to one over the other.

No, I wouldn't choose an SA to go into a gunfight, but as a gun I would be wearing all day, and one I could count on to get me out of a gunfight (providing I did my part) I think its a good choice.

.44 SPL and .357 Mag is not an apples to apples comparison. I persoanlly prefer the bigger beefier guns in .357 and .44 Mag or .45 Colt. I don't run any .44 Special guns, I have .44 Magnums and load them down a bit for comfort and plinking. I load my .357s hot, shoot .38s when I want something less.

Choose the gun that appeals to you the most. Either caliber will be entirely adequate, if YOU are.
Old April 19, 2024, 11:58 PM   #11
Jim Watson

To me it is more a choice between SA and DA.
And Ruger makes a .44 Special GP 100 for Linsey’s.
Old April 20, 2024, 03:24 AM   #12
TruthTellers

A big bore single action vs a .357 double action for woods usage. I like .45 Colt more, but since this is not focused on conceal carry or home defense I see no reason the .44 Special isn't a better choice and since you reload you don't have to deal with ammo price or availability issues and you can crank up the power some, probably even more than .45 Colt Blackhawk loads.

The .357 isn't incapable in the woods, but that doesn't mean it's better than bigger calibers. It is cheaper to shoot and can hold more rounds, that's good for some things but not the OP's intended purpose.
Old April 20, 2024, 05:49 AM   #13
PatientWolf

Are both 6-shots?
Old April 20, 2024, 06:45 AM   #14
ligonierbill

Yes. Thank you all for your thoughts.
Old April 20, 2024, 06:57 AM   #15
jetinteriorguy

GP100 in .357 is one of my favorites. A little polishing on internals, some springs and a shim kit and it’s one of the best revolver triggers I’ve ever had. The only one of my Smith’s that’s better is my 4” Model 57, no dash. Plus I pair it with my Henry BBS for added fun. I’ve only ever had one SA revolver, my first foray into bigger bore pistols was a Blackhawk in .41 mag. Never liked it, didn’t care for the rolling recoil and ejecting and reloading was a PITA. Traded it in on my 6” Model 57 no dash and have kept it for 37 years.
Old April 20, 2024, 07:20 AM   #16
HiBC

While the 357 and the 44 spl do have their differences, worrying about which to carry is sort of splitting hairs.

Which do you prefer to wear and walk with?

Which one are you more natural with ,smoother in the draw and getting the sights aligned on target?

In other words,which can you count on for delivering a solid first round hit?

I suppose delivering the next 5 rounds might matter,too.

Man or beast,a good hit with either cartridge will punch a hole through most targets.
I don't know that the perforated organs will show a lot of difference.

If you believe they will show difference,figure that in your choice.
Old April 20, 2024, 09:53 AM   #17
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligonierbill View Post
I'm not much of a pistoleer, but sometimes I carry a general purpose revolver in the woods. (Since I grew up in Pennsylvania and hunt there, it has to be a revolver.) The competitors are a Ruger Blackhawk "Flattop" 5 1/2" 44 Special and a Ruger GP-100 4" 357 Magnum. The 357 is more powerful by a third, but the Flattop sends a bigger bullet. It's also lighter and handier. I'm leaning towards the 44, but that's the debate. I should mention that I always shoot the GP-100 single action, so that advantage is mute.

What do you think?
What do you think you might be doing with it?

Quote:
The 357 is more powerful by a third, but the Flattop sends a bigger bullet. It's also lighter and handier.

.44 Special can be loaded hot.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; April 20, 2024 at 11:33 AM.
Old April 20, 2024, 11:06 AM   #18
Rifletom

Out here in the Eastern Sierra's, I carry my .45 Colt Taylors[Uberti] while camping, trout fishing or hiking a bit. Have a .357 BH, but, the .45 Colt goes. Maybe I should get a .44 spl BH to round things out.
Old April 20, 2024, 12:51 PM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
and you can crank up the power some, probably even more than .45 Colt Blackhawk loads.
Not really. When you are pushing big bore revolvers to the safe working limits of the gun, they all come out about the same. Measurable differences, sure, but significant ones, not so much. It is the gun used that is the primary limiting factor.

Ruger Blackhawks get a bit tricksy to cover with blanket statements because over the years Ruger has done a couple different sized frames under the name "Blackhawk", and Vaquero.

Top end .45 Colt loads, made to be fired in the New Model Blackhawk (large frame gun) are ok in the Vaquero (original) but too much for the "New Vaquero".

I am not very familiar with the "flattops" Blackhawks, but I expect you could safely increase the .44 Special in one, well beyond the somewhat anemic factory ammo. I wouldn't recommend trying to make a magnum out of it, though.
Old April 20, 2024, 12:56 PM   #20
stinkeypete

You say .357 is more powerful, yet I would pick .44 Special to shoot a deer. Especially if unexpected and with no hearing protection on, and with only 4" of barrel on the .357.

A .44 Special Blackhawk is an uncommon and sweet firearm. Well worth having and keeping. 5 1/2" is a well balanced Blackhawk. For me, it would be a no-brainer.

When in doubt, start with the bigger hole.

Please note... more people die from tick bites than black bear bites by about 170:1 in the continental us.
Old April 20, 2024, 03:59 PM   #21
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete View Post
Please note... more people die from tick bites than black bear bites by about 170:1 in the continental us.
That's because ticks are such small targets and are hard to hit with even a .44 caliber revolver.
Old April 20, 2024, 05:49 PM   #22
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Not really. When you are pushing big bore revolvers to the safe working limits of the gun, they all come out about the same. Measurable differences, sure, but significant ones, not so much. It is the gun used that is the primary limiting factor.

Ruger Blackhawks get a bit tricksy to cover with blanket statements because over the years Ruger has done a couple different sized frames under the name "Blackhawk", and Vaquero.

Top end .45 Colt loads, made to be fired in the New Model Blackhawk (large frame gun) are ok in the Vaquero (original) but too much for the "New Vaquero".

I am not very familiar with the "flattops" Blackhawks, but I expect you could safely increase the .44 Special in one, well beyond the somewhat anemic factory ammo. I wouldn't recommend trying to make a magnum out of it, though.
Well, we're not talking about the New Vaquero here, we're talking about the Blackhawk and I never said to try making the .44 Special Blackhawk into a Magnum, I said you can load it hotter, just like the .45 Colt Blackhawks usually are.

AFAIK, there is not much strength different between the flattops and regular Blackhawks and Chat GPT is telling me the same thing along with the .44 Special Blackhawks being capable of handling up to 25K PSI, including the "heavy Keith load."

Not advocating it be loaded that hot, just the facts.

And truth be told, having never been much of a .44 fan, this topic and the strength of the .44 Blackhawk has started to get me interested. The only issue is Taurus makes a 5 shot .44 Mag for less and that will handle a steady diet of heavy Kieth loads forever and be smaller, lighter and have a double action ability.
Old April 20, 2024, 07:03 PM   #23
The Verminator

Taurus?

Over Ruger?

Old April 20, 2024, 07:36 PM   #24
rclark

Quote:
The .44 Special flattops are on the medium frame just like the New Vaquero. No different except for the top strap . Yes they can easily be loaded 'hotter' than anemic factory .44 Special loads. Remember the .45 Colt flattop (and New Vaquero) is capable of at least 23K psi loads (.45 ACP certified). So when you go down to .429 from .452 ... You can see there is more wiggle room. Just an FYI. But yes, buy a Magnum (large frame) if you really want to shoot Magnum level loads. Stick to standard to 'warm' .44 Special loads in the medium frame (BH flattop or New Vaquero).
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; April 20, 2024 at 07:44 PM.
Old April 20, 2024, 09:13 PM   #25
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Verminator View Post
Taurus?

Over Ruger?

I've yet to buy a Taurus that was more than $500 and wasn't worth it. Just got another one today, 9mm snub and I swear the lockup keeps getting tighter each time I buy one!