The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 17, 2004, 12:25 AM   #1
David Berkowitz

Beretta/Winchester Comparison

I am looking for a Sporting Clays shotgun and pretty much decided on either the Beretta 686 White Onyx Sporting Clays or the Winchester Select Energy. In my area, they sell for comparable prices.
I have handled the Beretta. Accordig to the folks at the gun shop, it fits me and to be honest, I enjoyed how it came to the shoulder.
I have not handled this particular Winchester model but I have the Premier and it also was comfortable.
I did not shoot the Winchester well, but then, I don't really shoot anything very well. I just enjoy trap and 5 stand.
I'm looking at Sporting Clays guns because they may be more usable than Trap guns. Plus, no one around here even stocks trap guns.
I would appreciate any comments you may have concerning overall quality or shootablility. Heck, I'd like your comments on anything you think I might need to know about.
My actual first choice is a Browning, but they are out of my budget.

Last edited by David Berkowitz; October 17, 2004 at 12:26 AM. Reason: change title
Old October 24, 2004, 11:49 PM   #2
MASTERBLASTR

I own a 686 gold e in the

sporting configuration and looks better than the winchester energy.

please do yourself a favor and buy the beretta. but not the white onix.
wait another month and buy the 686 gold e.

recoilwise, the winchester energy has the overbored barrels and uses invector plus chokes(ala browning). somewhat less recoil. but non noticeable. with sporting clays ammo.

huntingwise the 686 is capable of 3" mag.

I also own a browning feather XS but i tend to get more of those farther away clays with the 686 than with the browning.

my experience with the winchester shotguns is that they are very good and the energy model is very nice but for the price I would buy the beretta. the furniture in the energy shotgun (that I saw),could be improved.

my two cents.

JOSE A. MARINE
Old October 26, 2004, 01:52 AM   #3
David Berkowitz

Jose,
Thanks for your input.
I am wondering what the difference is between the White Onyx and the 686 E.
They both have the 686 number. Is there a mechanical difference? I did see the 686 E in the store. It has engraving but it looked the same mechanically. Of course, I could not see inside.
What happens in a month? Is Berreta planning a big promotion?
Old October 27, 2004, 08:03 AM   #4
K80Geoff

The 686 has a great track record. In any form it is a quality gun and will give a lifetime of service.

I have not seen or handled the Winchester, it is however a new design and has not been around long enough to know it's virtues/vices.

I have owned a 686, and have shot many others. They are quality guns. I believe the Onyx is a base level model with no engraving and plain wood. I handled two onyx at a local Gander Mountain and their plain receivers were more appealing to me than the rolled on engraving all base model Berettas get. Mechanically all 686 models are the same. Only wood and engraving differ.

You would have to go to a 682 model to get any significant mechanical upgrade.
Old October 27, 2004, 10:06 PM   #5
David Berkowitz

Geoff & Masterblaster,
In the last 10 days, I have been able to refine my needs and criteria, to some extent.
Practically all my shooting is trap. I shoot 5 stand about 5 times a year and trap at least once a week, if it is not raining, and in Southern Calif, it usually is not raining (except for the last two weeks). My initial thinking was to get a Sporting Clays model to be used for both trap and 5 stand. I selected sporting clays model essentially due to its being easier to find than a trap model and can be used for both. I already own a well worn Browning Sporting Clays that really should be reconditioned, if Browning offers such a service.
I have found a Winchester Select Energy in Trap configuration selling for about $1500. The Beretta is a sporting clays for about $1,800. Since I already have a sporting clays gun, I may be better off going with the trap model, but my clays gun may also just be shot out.
Both have some "art work" on the receiver. The Beretta has jeweling and the Winchester has a pattern engraved. I think they both have a good looking appearance and the wood is nice. Not great, but these are guns under $2,000.
My biggest issues are mechanical reliabilty and a subjective thing I'll call "shootability", or just shooting impressions.
Budget is an issue, as is practicality.
Does this change your opinions/suggestions?
Old October 28, 2004, 06:08 AM   #6
K80Geoff

I would still go with the Beretta.

Have a gunsmith look at the Browning first, it may just need a small amount of work to tighten it up.
Old October 30, 2004, 08:06 PM   #7
David Berkowitz

Geoff,
Do you have any familiarity with the Lansbar shotgun?
I beleive it is a Spanish made gun. I hhave only heard about them and can't find anything on the web, not that I'm all that proficient with the net.

The Ruger Red Label has also been recommended, but to me, it seemed very servicable but felt heavy and unresponsive. Nothing very lively or special.

In the photo I saw of the Lansbar, it appeared to have an o[en rib betweenthe barrels, which may be a good thing on hot days.

Your opinions, please.
Old October 31, 2004, 09:41 AM   #8
K80Geoff

Lanber has a good Reputation, if you can get one that handles well for you at a good price than go for it. The main problem with lesser known brands might be in obtaining parts and additional choke tubes if needed. Are they better than Ruger or Beretta? Hard to say as everyone has different ideas as to what they want in agun. They probably are similar in quality to the R & B guns. Selling them if you decide to change or trade up might be difficult.

If you do a search on Google for Lanber Shotguns you will find a wealth of info. I would recommend a gun with 30" bbls and interchangeable chokes. A gun using one of the more common choke tube threadings is a plus (EX Browning or Beretta). Some of the lesser known brands will use choke tubes threaded for one of the more common makes.

Rugers are solid well made guns, however the 12's are hard kickers. Know a few folks who shot them and went to gas auto's due to the recoil. My 20 ga was a hard kicker. This may become an issue.