The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2017, 09:46 AM   #1
Sea Buck

.357 Mag Velocity for Deer hunting

This year I have added a Contender in .357 Magnum and 10" barrel. I plan to load 158 gr JHP and 180 gr Hornady FXP. Using Bluedot (because I have a lot of it !). In your experience, what should I go for in velocity to get good penetration with these?
Thanks ahead of time.
Old October 9, 2017, 10:24 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Double-check with Hornady on the nominal expansion velocity range for each bullet. Then take a ballistic program and see what MV you would need that delivers the bullet in roughly the middle of that range at the distances you expect to be shooting from. Then inspect some load data and see if Blue Dot will get you there.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 9, 2017, 10:51 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

I wouldn't get too hung up on velocity with either bullet (not sure what an FXP bullet is). The single biggest thing about using the .357mag on deer is that they shed velocity quickly and the bullet you use will be effected by this to quite an extent. I've shot deer with the .357mag and the distance makes a huge difference more in expansion than it does in penetration. Any decent mag load will give you all the penetration you need on a deer. I've shot one deer at around 90 yards with a 158g Hornady XTP and then shot the same deer at 35 yards after it ran towards me. Both hits were broadside and each one hit one rib going in and both stopped on the off side under the hide. One bullet had very little expansion and one expanded quite a bit. Both bullets stopped under the far side hide. I've recovered a lot of bullets from deer over the years that have been shot with the .357mag (I've shot over fifty with this caliber in a handgun alone). For a compromise between expansion and penetration I strongly suggest using the 158g XTP as a first choice and the 180g as the second choice. The 180g just doesn't expand as well as the 158g out of a handgun. FWIW, I've shot a few with a TC Contender in .357mag also. I've never lost even one deer with the .357mag and I attribute that to bullet placement rather than velocity or penetration. Using a handgun in this caliber will require you to have the right shot placement regardless of velocity or penetration. It's the most important factor of all. Good luck.
Old October 9, 2017, 12:07 PM   #4
GeauxTide

Quote:
The single biggest thing about using the .357mag on deer is that they shed velocity quickly and the bullet you use will be effected by this to quite an extent
I would suggest a 158gr. Keith SWC (Matt's Bullets). You want two holes out of a handgun bullet, which will overcome the lack of expansion. You might as well get a 45 Colt barrel while you're at it. A 9-10 grain load of Unique or PowerPistol will push a 285gr SWC to 1000fps and will be much easier to shoot than a hot 357.
Old October 9, 2017, 12:26 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Accuracy is far more important than velocity.
158 grain jacketed(A Speer GDHP is a jacketed bullet) Max loads of Blue Dot out of a 10" barrel are running 1188 FPS. And factory ammo tends to run much faster according to Ballistics by the Inch. That doesn't mean your Contender will shoot 'em well enough though. Energy drops as fast as the velocity.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html
Old October 9, 2017, 05:54 PM   #6
Sea Buck

Oops that's Hornady XTP!Please excuse the 75 yr old fingers!
Range will be 50 yds or less due to eyesight and ability to hold somewhat steady. Now, I have to practice. Thanks for the great answers.