The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2014, 11:34 PM   #1
cocopolo

Old style RCBS Rock chucker press not pressing properly

I have an old RCBS Rock chucker press that has given me decades of good service. Now one of the main bottom rocker arm is stiff an barely moves making all actions difficult even without dies or work being done. I have taken it apart except for the stiff side arm and I cannot see how I could take it apart. Should I use penetrating oil on it to see if it loosens. anybody has some insight. Is it time to buy a new press? I thought this thing was indestructible.
Old February 17, 2014, 11:54 PM   #2
burrhead

RCBS will rebuild it for free.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old February 17, 2014, 11:59 PM   #3
243winxb

RCBS gave me a new press. Cost me shipping to return the old one.
Old February 18, 2014, 12:02 AM   #4
oldreloader

Punch the pin out, polish it with steel wool. coat it with STP and load away.
Old February 18, 2014, 01:21 AM   #5
Brotherbadger

I'd hit it with some penetrating oil to see if that helps. Whatever you do, don't buy a new press, RCBS will replace it for free if it's broken.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old February 18, 2014, 01:27 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

If you do get it apart and clean up the metal (it's likely galled), be sure to use grease when you reassemble. Oil isn't adequate for the stress those pivot points experience.
Old February 18, 2014, 06:27 AM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

+1 for this comment ^ and being cast iron its pretty hard to hurt it any. But a aluminum press is quite different. I wore a Pacific out over the years even while keeping it well greased and its ram clean & lightly oiled. No more worry's I got me a Rock Chucker now. Besides. Being Irish I like that Green paint better.
Old February 18, 2014, 10:02 AM   #8
cocopolo

It's fixed

I used light gun oil all over and for the rocker arm that was stuck I used some Gunk Liquid wrench...waited 10 minutes then worked the arm vigorously and after about 20 pumps I felt whatever was making it stick and grind give way. It now works like a new press. RCBS Rock Chucker rocks. Thank you everybody for your input. Firing line forum saved me a few hundred bucks today.
Old February 18, 2014, 01:18 PM   #9
bedbugbilly

Just file it in the back of your mind that RCBS will rebuild it if necessary in the future as already mentioned. I bought an old JR 3 press off of eBay and the idiot I purchased it from, shipped it in a flimsy shoebox. By the time it arrived, due to poor packing, it had been dropped somewhere along the line and the pivot block that the handle screws in to was so badly damaged and crunched down, the handle wouldn't even begin to screw in it was so out of round. I called RCBS and talked with a very nice gentleman in the service department. Unfortunately, the press is so old (early 1960s) that they no longer had the part I needed. I was, however, very impressed with the fellow I talked with and he said that if they had the part, they would have rebuilt it for me with the only expense to me the postage back and forth. Fortunately, I made contact with a fellow who gave me the part I needed to replace and it will soon be back in action.

Glad you got it working again smoothly - they are great presses!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63