The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 4, 2012, 12:47 PM   #1
rick35ovi

What the heck is this?

I don't currently have it in my possesion yet but am told it is marked 44 winchester, i am assuming it is some sort of belgian copy. my appologies for the quality of the pic, it is a cellphone picture.
Old February 4, 2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Ralph Allen

Going to need more info. Looks similar to a Webley?
Ralph
Old February 4, 2012, 02:33 PM   #3
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

It strongly resembles a "Montenegran GASSER" - need to see proof marks on the gun to determine if Austrian, German or Belgian manufacture.

check here for pictures:
http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetai...olver+pictures
Old February 4, 2012, 02:36 PM   #4
rick35ovi

Yeah i will have more info when i get it, i was justa kinda hoping it might look familiar to someone.
Old February 4, 2012, 03:55 PM   #5
SDC

Yes, this is what's called a "Montenegrin revolver"; after the king of Montenegro (part of the former Yugoslavia) declared that every male subject had to own a revolver chambered for the standard handgun cartridge of his army, pretty well every arms manufacturer in Europe that had any spare capacity started making these as fast as they could. Most of these were made in Belgium, but you can also see French or German examples. They're usually chambered for an obsolete 11.3x36mmR (about .44") cartridge, but some manufacturers carried the design over into other chamberings. In any event, they're not very strong, not very recent, and probably not the sort of thing that should be fired today anyway.
Old February 4, 2012, 11:39 PM   #6
gyvel

"Gasser" refers to L. Gasser of Vienna who manufactured these for the Austro-Hungarian army in the 1870s. See Wikipedia ("M1870 Gasser") for a short synopsis of the origin of this revolver.
Old February 5, 2012, 07:57 AM   #7
rick35ovi

After looking for gassers on the internet it seems the 44 Winchester caliber may have been imported to Mexico, does this make sense? Some of the stories I have read point to Pancho Villa importing them in this caliber to be able to use that round in the El tigre rifle and the pistol. Interesting story at least! Is there any value in these?