The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 10, 2010, 06:45 AM   #1
benny7mmWSM

chipmunk madness.

i have a problem with chip munks around the back yard and i cant trap one, i use a small live trap and have used asorted bait flavor the only thing ive caught was 2 mocking birds 2 squirrels neighbors house cat. and a possom, the trap works fine but those damn chhips aint fallin for it what would be the best bait? i was thinking a another piece of my wiring harness from my truck, they seem to like it so damn much. and holy crap they are to damn fast to shoot.
Old March 10, 2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Chipmunks love birdseed. At least, the ones on my front porch do. They eat the "drippings" scattered from the hanging bird feeder. (Birds are messy eaters.) I can sit here at my computer and get many a chuckle from watching them.
Old March 10, 2010, 10:00 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Smear some chunky peanut butter on the foot trigger and mash some bird seed/corn into the p-butter... they may trip it that way easier.
brent
Old March 10, 2010, 10:40 AM   #4
Lavid2002

Get a smaller trap? If your catching a CAT and you're trying for chipmunks....something is up. If you wana kill em but leave everything else alone strategically place some mouse traps around in places only a chipmunk can get to them with some chunky PB on them : )
Old March 10, 2010, 01:08 PM   #5
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

When I was a kid, I used to catch chipmunks (well, ours are actually ground squirrels) by the dozen... literally.

Assuming you want to live-trap them, here's how I did it.

You'll need a cheap bird cage with a spring loaded door, and a garden hose (or a LOT of water).

Spot chipmunk and chase 'im. Watch which hole he goes down. Look around, because they almost always have at least one other escape hole. Plug any other holes.

Place the cage so the open door is over the hole he went down and weigh it down. Flood the hole and Mr. Chipmunk will pop up into the cage like a Jack-in-the-box . Lift the cage quickly so the spring loaded door can slam shut.

Watch your fingers though; those little guys can really bite!

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old March 10, 2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Lavid2002

I did that for some around here. We had 1/2 wine barrels holding trees. I know he had no way out so I would flood the hole and catch him out the other side!. ....Sucker
Old March 10, 2010, 04:05 PM   #7
waterfowler

Go get a cheap pellet gun. what are you going to do with the chipmunks after you catch them anyways?
Old March 10, 2010, 04:17 PM   #8
dsa1115

I have a RWS air rifle with a cheap tasco scope. Believe it or not, this RWS does over 1000 fps and is very accurate as long as it's not too windy, and you've done a good job sighting it in.
Old March 11, 2010, 08:14 AM   #9
Uncle Buck

Rat trap with peanut butter and bird seed.

If you are going to trap and remove them, please think about where you are going to drop them off.

I have caught people dropping off wild animals around here and I get mad at them. If the animal is a problem to you, why should it become my problem? I am just going to trap it and then kill it.

I think I would try to find a way to have fun with the little pests. I like the flooding and I also like the idea of catching them on the other side.

My grandparents used to have a few of them at their house. They would come up and eat out of your hand. I do not know how many time I was scolded by the chipmunks because I did not have enough food to give them or I got to close to a flower bed they considered their own. We would sit outside and watch them for hours while talking to each other. Comically little rodents.
Old March 11, 2010, 08:30 AM   #10
camper4lyfe

My handy dandy Crossman airgun took care of plenty o' chipmunks in its day. They sit still eventually, you just have to be ready for them, and work quickly.
Old March 11, 2010, 08:44 AM   #11
earlthegoat2

Brace yourself fellas because this is the best way to kill gophers/chipmunks and not anything else.

Get a 5 gallon bucket and half fill it with water.

Sprinkle bird seed on the water enough to cover the water.

Put a 2x6 up to the rim of the bucket and anchor it there somehow.

Come back the next day or leave it for awhile and pull the drowned chipmunks out of the water. Rinse repeat.

Squirells can get out, cats can get out, chipmunks not so much.
Old March 11, 2010, 10:36 AM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'm curious as to exactly how the chipmunks are a problem. What are they doing that's harmful?
Old March 11, 2010, 11:17 AM   #13
camper4lyfe

They can actually cause foundation problems. They like to dig along the basement walls, which allows water in, which causes big problems down the road.
Old March 11, 2010, 12:32 PM   #14
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
what are you going to do with the chipmunks after you catch them anyways?
Well, let's just say that having a pet chipmunk became a neighborhood fad and I spent more money at the candy store . (This was back in the late '50's when I was around 10 yrs. old.)

With a little effort, they tame down nicely, although today, I don't advocate trying to keep wild animals as pets. It rarely works out well.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old March 11, 2010, 07:49 PM   #15
bswiv

""i was thinking a another piece of my wiring harness from my truck, they seem to like it so damn much.""

OK......so me and Louann laughed ourselves almost to tears on that....

Brought back memories of tree rats in the attic.....

Peanut butter!!!!
Old March 12, 2010, 06:50 AM   #16
benny7mmWSM

i have a bolt action 22 marlin i kill squirrells with it all th time i load up with super colibre and its on, but a chimpmunk they are fast real fast, did you know that they bite? there bites hurt. ive set my trap out but it hasnt stopped raining so a will have to rebait and reatemp. thanks guys
Old March 12, 2010, 06:58 AM   #17
benny7mmWSM

any market out there for chipmunk pelts?
Old March 12, 2010, 10:08 AM   #18
cornbush

Dog food or cat food works good for most rodents, ground squirrels are cannibalistic, if you catch one try using a dead one for bait.
Old March 12, 2010, 12:33 PM   #19
troy_mclure

borrow a cat.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."