The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 8, 2009, 07:46 PM   #1
Ctay

Pardner Protector loose slide

Hey, new poster here. Long time handgun owner, fairly new to shotguns. I have a Mossy Mav 88 and just bought a NEF Pardner Protector 18.5inch from Dick's Sporting Goods. Nice price, a tad heavy, but seemed like a good deal. I've only owned the shotgun for about a week, not shot yet, and already noticed something that prompted my posting here.

The forearm/slide drops very easy on an empty chamber without much effort. Basically, I can just touch the top of the forearm and it drops opening the action about 1/4 inch exposing the chamber. This doesn't seem right to me. My Mossy Mav takes a bit of effort to cock the slide to open the action on an empty chamber, to load or what not. This Pardner opens the action partially very easy; too easy in fact.

The slide/forearm is solid when cocked, no issue there, but when on an empty chamber or when I use the slide release lever, the slide is very loose and the action opens quite a bit. As mentioned previously, my only other experience with pumps is the Mossy Mav and it doesn't exhibit this quirk.

Maybe it's not an issue, but it seems a bit unusual to me. Any feedback is welcomed, perhaps an idea how to "tighten" the slide to not work this easy would be great. I prefer to not have the action open too easy and expose the chamber. I rather work the slide with effort rather than touch it and have it "self-propel" the action.

Thanks all.
Old September 9, 2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Lee Lapin

As the software guys say- "It's not a bug- it's a feature."

It's supposed to be that way. Don't worry about it, there's nothing to 'tighten up.' The bolt will retract fairly easily about half way, when the chamber/magazine is empty and the hammer is cocked. At about the half way point, the bolt slide contacts the top of the cocked hammer, and there's more resistance. The more it wears in and the slicker it gets, the easier it'll open to that point.

You ought to see one of the old High Standard Flite Kings/Sears J C Higgins Model 20s- point the muzzle of an empty, cocked gun straight up and hit the action release button, and the action will open all the way. Now that's a slick pumpgun...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old September 9, 2009, 08:22 AM   #3
Ctay

Thanks Lee. Being that I'm accustomed to the way the Mossberg Maverick slide feels much tighter, I thought there was an issue. The Pardner slide gives to an open point in the action without the hammer cocked as well or when I press the slide release, on an empty chamber or not.

It's not a huge deal, I can always engage the action, which locks the slide. Then I can load the tube and use the slide release to chamber a load when needed. It's definitely a smooth action, can't wait to take her out.
Old September 9, 2009, 08:35 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Alot of the half way resistance may be the sell loading ramp as it reaches a point of contact in the receiver.
I wasn't going to say anything about it being a feature as I have only owned mossberg pumps for very long (one old S&W for a few weeks) and I always polish and lube to get them loose...
Brent
Old September 9, 2009, 08:59 AM   #5
TYM2MOTR

I have two pardner pumps...when empty hold them upright, lightly touch the forend when almost closed or the release lever when locked closed and they drop open half way. I've never had any load / eject issues with either one.
Old September 9, 2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Ctay

TYM2MOTR, that's exactly what my Pardner is doing. Ok, I'm fine with that. Thanks all.
Old September 9, 2009, 09:48 PM   #7
smoke63b

Same here. I have the protector as well. It's a feature. Extremely AWESOME shotgun for the money. You won't be disappointed.