The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 13, 2002, 07:02 AM   #1
birdog4

pistole

Hello I recently came across a small handgun I can't identify. Need some help
3 1/4 inch barrel
6 inches overall length
4 inches high
non-adjustable sights
combination safety and slide holdback
walnut scales-checkered
stamp at barrel end of slide is SP
stamp on the slide reads
CAL 7.65 AutomaticPistol"MARL
SUR - fire
FEU-safe
What the heck is this?
Thanks bruce
Old February 13, 2002, 02:02 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Do You have a photo?

HJN
Old February 13, 2002, 02:21 PM   #3
birdog4

No sir. No photo capabilities. It does resemble a hammerless Beretta in profile. Thank you
Old February 13, 2002, 04:58 PM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

If the lettering is dificult to read. Take a #2 graphite pencil and color over the letters. This will bring up the lettering and you may be able to determine more clearly what is stamped on the pistol.

Does it look anything like the phot attached?

HJN
Old February 13, 2002, 06:57 PM   #5
birdog4

Yes , the photo is similar, especially the slide. The photo is what I would say is a smaller version of this piece.
Old February 14, 2002, 05:59 AM   #6
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

The gun shown is a Czechoslovakian Marz Pistol. Taking the Marl, I could not locate any such pistol. That's why I ask to color the markings with a #2 Graphite pencil.

The attached photo is the only one I can locate in 7.65, however, that doesn't mean that the 1st gun was not made it 7.65mm.

HJN
Old February 14, 2002, 06:44 AM   #7
birdog4

Thanks Harley. The safe stampings had me wondering. Is that Czech writing for "safe" and "fire"?
Old February 14, 2002, 08:15 PM   #8
johnwill

No wonder I couldn't find it Harley, it's MARS, not MARZ. I suspect the slide says

MARS 7.65mm
KOHOUT & SPOL KDYNE

There's a picture of it in "Know your Czech Handguns" and Zhuk's great book, the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Handguns". Here's the one from Zhuk which sounds like your gun.
Old February 14, 2002, 08:59 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

"FEU" and "SUR" are French for Fire and Safe respectively. Apparently the maker felt that those terms would be better for the international market than the Czech words. "SPOL" is the abbreviation of the Czech word for Company. Kdyne is in the southern part of the Czech Republic near the German border.

Jim
Old February 14, 2002, 10:40 PM   #10
birdog4

I did the pencil trick and the stamping is definately
CAL7.65AUTOMATIC PISTOL'MARL
below that is a T and a E
The picture displayed is similar, the slide is identical except the barrel protrudes only about a sixteenth of an inch.
The decocker/safety is in front of the grips(above the trigger.)
The grips have parallel sides. The left grip has a inlet at the bottom rear and there are two threaded holes in the frame(layard ring?)
The frame extends about an inch in front of the trigger guard rather than ending rather abruptly like the one in the picture.
Would there be proof marks inside the slide or frame that would help in idetifying this? Thanks fellas!
Old February 15, 2002, 01:49 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Birddog4,

I think we have gotten off on too many tangents; let's start again.

Does the pistol have an outside hammer?

If it does, is the pistol double or single action? (With the hammer down, can it be fired by pulling the trigger or does the hammer have to be cocked first?)

You say the safety/decocker is above the trigger. Is it a decocker (does it lower the hammer) or just a safety?

If it is a safety, does it pivot forward and up to safe and down and back to fire? Does it have a hook to lock the slide back?

Are there any markings on the grips?

Are there any markings (proof marks) on the barrel or on the slide adjacent to the barrel. If so, can you describe them?
(They may look like an oval with E/L/G inside, or a crown, or a shield or some other mark.) Is there a mark with a spread eagle with a swastika and "WaA" and a number underneath?

I can't find any name "MARL" or any that begin with "MARL" (except Marlin, and I think we can rule out that company).

Jim
Old February 15, 2002, 03:38 PM   #12
johnwill

I also can't find any company or gun name of MARL, so if that's really what's on the gun, maybe it's one of a kind! I really think an effort to post a picture is going to be required...
Old February 15, 2002, 10:23 PM   #13
birdog4

OK, I did some more homework on thus gun.
No exposed hammer.
I mislabeled one piece. Not a decocking lever. It is a slide release. sorry.
When the safety/slide release is forward, the gun is on safe. push to the rear, ready to fire.
No markings on the grips, only checkering.
I haven't figured out how to get the sslide off yet. Does have a 3 digit number on underside of the slide at the rear. same number on magazine well under thgrips. Also same number on barrel.
cleaned up the magazine with polish and found a name scratched into it.
Lt. xx xxxxx
How do I get the slide off??
Old February 15, 2002, 10:49 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know for sure, but try this. Remove the magazine, and make sure the gun is unloaded. (Sorry, but I have to say that.)

Put the safety in the SAFE postion and pull the slide back all the way. The safety should hold the slide back. Then take the end of the barrel that is sticking out and try to turn it (try clockwise first as you look at it from the front, but try both ways).

If it turns about 1/4 of the way around, you may be able to pull the barrel out, or just release the slide and let it and the barrel come off together. Either way, let the slide go forward easy. It should come off the frame to the front.

If that does not work, we will try something else.

Jim
Old February 16, 2002, 08:10 AM   #15
birdog4

Jim , that got it apart. Can't find any proofmarks anywhere. Did find the 3 digit number on the safety lever and the trigger spring.
Could this be military issue? If so, whose army? Thanks
Old February 16, 2002, 06:13 PM   #16
James K
Member In Memoriam

I was going by the French safety markings in thinking it might be Belgian or French, but absence of proof marks would seem to rule out those countries.

It could have also been one of the many Spanish pistols sold to the French army in WWI, when they bought anything that would shoot. That could explain the French markings. At that time, Spain had no compulsory proof and most makers never bothered.

There was a Spanish "Mars" pistol, but no "Marl" that I know of.

Is the slide polished down or badly rusted so that there might have been some more to the marking that is now missing?

Jim
Old February 16, 2002, 07:44 PM   #17
birdog4

Jim
I cleaned the slide off better and found SPA on the barrel end of the slide, so it probably is Spanish. The stamping starts to fade with the A. Can't tell if there are more letters but the spacing indicates poor stamping. Same with the stamping on the side of the slide.
Thanks for all the help. Guess I need to get a scanner. bruce