The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 3, 2019, 09:53 PM   #26
Doc TH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 15, 2005
Posts: 614
Russian SK's are not a dime a dozen, anywhere.
As has already been stated, they do what they were designed to do fairly well. Remember they were intended to provide the Soviets a RELIABLE semi-auto battle rifle late in WWII, using an intermediate cartridge comparable to the German 7.9 X 33 Kurz, to be extremely reliable in Eastern front environments, and to not require separate magazines. The Russians at the time (and today) were not interested in target accuracy at ranges more than 300 m, as their experience indicated that situation was rarely encountered. The SK's successor, the AK-47 is likewise not a target rifle at long range and the desired selective fire capability mandated the use of external magazines. The SKS was quite functional in Vietnam as many of my colleagues can attest.
If you want a "target rifle" don't buy an SKS or AK-47/74. Most standard military rifles (including the M1 Garand) were considered acceptable if they met 3-4 M.O.A, requirements, and Russian SKS's will generally do that.
Doc TH is offline  
Old June 4, 2019, 03:44 AM   #27
Leaf
Junior member
 
Join Date: August 11, 2018
Posts: 198
Linestretcher, from a tactical perspective your modifications to your SKS make sense. Especially so if you only have a couple rifles and may need the tactical advantages such modifications can provide.

And what is the deal here with folks who like to bash firearms in the context of Commie this or Nazi that? Firearms the new "Liberty Fries"?
Leaf is offline  
Old June 4, 2019, 05:50 AM   #28
JJ45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 8, 2015
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc TH View Post
Russian SK's are not a dime a dozen, anywhere.
As has already been stated, they do what they were designed to do fairly well. Remember they were intended to provide the Soviets a RELIABLE semi-auto battle rifle late in WWII, using an intermediate cartridge comparable to the German 7.9 X 33 Kurz, to be extremely reliable in Eastern front environments, and to not require separate magazines. The Russians at the time (and today) were not interested in target accuracy at ranges more than 300 m, as their experience indicated that situation was rarely encountered. The SK's successor, the AK-47 is likewise not a target rifle at long range and the desired selective fire capability mandated the use of external magazines. The SKS was quite functional in Vietnam as many of my colleagues can attest.
If you want a "target rifle" don't buy an SKS or AK-47/74. Most standard military rifles (including the M1 Garand) were considered acceptable if they met 3-4 M.O.A, requirements, and Russian SKS's will generally do that.
Excellent post DocTH! I have monkied with the SKS a lot in the early days, both Russian and Chinese. I even mounted a Lyman peep on one by drilling the receiver for a side mount. It was not stock original, so I had no qualms about alterations.

My last two were all matching everything Russian and Chinese. I still have the Russian, The only thing I did to this weapon was mount it in a "Red Jungle Stock" that I alumahyded and since this stock was cut for a cruciform bayonet, I mounted an Abanian short spike (black) I have the original matching laminated wood and chromed blade. This fiberglass Chinese stock is a military issue SKS stock for better resistance in jungle environs, not a commercial replacement. They used to be available for around 7 bucks !! , and even came with a matching red (actually reddish brown) fiberglass hand guard, sans gas tube.

IMO, the SKS is best left stock. In my early days with the SKS, I fooled with all manner of replacement mags, duck bill varieties in 10,15, 20, 30 rounds including the fixed Chicom "Red Star 20 rounder. NONE of them were anywhere near reliable! Not going into a rendition on why this is probable, but this was my experience. There are slight variation, tolerances in these carbines and even the jungles stocks I worked with needed fitting. Even though they were military issue they were not drop-ins.

A fine weapon in it's own right but certain alterations may defeat it's purpose.
JJ45 is offline  
Old June 4, 2019, 10:14 AM   #29
LineStretcher
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 14, 2018
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by P5 Guy View Post
Where are these dime a dozen Soviet made SKS to be found, I have a roll of dimes?
And yet another person who just want's to stir a pot. Try GunBroker
LineStretcher is offline  
Old June 4, 2019, 10:19 AM   #30
LineStretcher
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 14, 2018
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
Linestretcher, from a tactical perspective your modifications to your SKS make sense. Especially so if you only have a couple rifles and may need the tactical advantages such modifications can provide.

And what is the deal here with folks who like to bash firearms in the context of Commie this or Nazi that? Firearms the new "Liberty Fries"?
My modifications are not done for tactical purposes. I'm not at all interested in tactical use. I just like the looks of it with the tactical stock.
LineStretcher is offline  
Old June 4, 2019, 06:26 PM   #31
agtman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 26, 2001
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,172
Quote:
My modifications are not done for tactical purposes. I'm not at all interested in tactical use. I just like the looks of it with the tactical stock.
Okay, so the mods weren't done for real-world tactical utility.

They're were done for 'tacticool-ish appearance?

Okay no problem, dude.

That sounds positively poser-licious.
agtman is offline  
Old June 5, 2019, 09:15 AM   #32
P5 Guy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 1, 2005
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by P5 Guy View Post
Where are these dime a dozen Soviet made SKS to be found, I have a roll of dimes?
And yet another person who just want's to stir a pot. Try GunBroker
And another guy with no sense of humor. Lighten up
P5 Guy is offline  
Old June 5, 2019, 12:07 PM   #33
Mal H
Staff
 
Join Date: March 20, 1999
Location: Somewhere in the woods of Northern Virginia
Posts: 16,012
It's obvious that this thread has devolved to snide remarks and little to no good information being posted.

Closed.
Mal H is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2018 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.07715 seconds with 10 queries