The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 25, 2019, 10:32 PM   #1
armednfree

Rock River Fit

Years ago it was said that Rock River uppers often didn't fit well on lowers made by another company. Is this true?
Old May 26, 2019, 08:04 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

I never had any trouble switching between RRA and Colt
Old May 26, 2019, 09:39 AM   #3
riffraff

I can't say if it is really made by RR but I have a new A2 upper from them thats a perfect match to the Anderson I checked it with.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:01 AM   #4
punkinhead

I've had two friends with Rock River uppers that wouldn't fit good quality lowers. Both of them had to remove material from the upper to get them to fit. It was only a few thousandths of an inch (not much more than removing the finish) but it's still not something they should have needed to do. One of them also wouldn't chamber match grade ammo or his reloads that he has no problem with in other uppers and had to go back to RR for reaming. From my small sample size, I'm not impressed.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:28 PM   #5
Mobuck

As long as you can force the pins through the holes, nothing else matters.
Old May 27, 2019, 01:35 PM   #6
zeke

AR-10 sizes/clearances are not standardized like ar-15's. If you expect lowers,uppers and all parts from differing brands to interchange, likely you will be disappointed.

Have multiple RR's, and they are all extremely accurate. Heavy and poorly finished maybe, but haven't bought one in awhile.

If saying a RR upper will not fit a "good quality" lower, might be helpful to actually name the lower. Same reasoning with "match grade ammo".