The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2011, 10:42 PM   #1
Shawn F.

Montana Gold Bullets

I am looking to reload 9mm and possibly some 45 ammo. I was looking at buying my bullets from Dillon since their prices are fair and shipping isn't crazy. I then looked at Montana Gold and for $107 shipped to my house I can get 1000 rounds of 124 gr FMJ's.
Seems pretty cheap but my concern is their quality and accuracy as well. I am wanting to reload to of course save some money but also get some accurate stuff for target shooting and practicing my groupings. Any opinions on Montana Gold?
Old February 5, 2011, 11:23 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Montana Gold is well known and fairly popular. I have FMJ and CMJ bullets from them in .400 and .355. They are good bullets.
Old February 5, 2011, 11:31 PM   #3
BDS-THR

Yes, they are great bullets.

Montana Gold jacketed bullets are used by many match shooters. It is what I recommend for match shooting.
Old February 5, 2011, 11:51 PM   #4
Shoney

Montana Gold, great bullets and great people to work with. Although I'm not certain the price still includes shipping, but it did last time I ordered.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 6, 2011, 01:10 AM   #5
bullspotter

They are super accurate, I use mt gold in 9, 40, 357 and 45. I like the full case, saves alot of extra$$$ If you cannot afford the full case, get your buddies togeter for a group buy! Its a good deal.
Old February 6, 2011, 02:39 AM   #6
LarryFlew

Nothing but MG
Old February 6, 2011, 06:12 AM   #7
Clark

I have shot my best groups at 100yards with a heavy weight 45acp bolt rifle and hot loads with 230 gr FMJ Montana Gold bullets.

4" 20 shot group, rapid fire.

Way more accurate than a handgun.
Old February 6, 2011, 09:58 AM   #8
Sevens

A heavy weight .45 ACP bolt rifle.

Link or pictures? Is this something you built yourself? I've never heard of such a beast.
Old February 6, 2011, 01:05 PM   #9
Shawn F.

Awesome guys, I think I am going to go with their 124 gr in the 3750 count! I will get my father and friend in on it and we can all split it! As for powder, I think I will buy it locally and same with primers because online charges are ridiculous. Locally prices are expensive even with my police/military/fire discount but I think buying online is more even if I bought an 8 lb jug of powder. I am going to most likely go with Win 231 powder as well with these Montana Gold bullets... Anyone here NOT recommend this?

Thanks again guys!
Old February 6, 2011, 01:08 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Locally prices are expensive even with my police/military/fire discount but I think buying online is more even if I bought an 8 lb jug of powder.

Should need to check Powder Valley Inc. Your local prices would have to be WELL below "normal" to not make it worth ordering from them.

A couple thousand primers and ONE pound of powder will cover the hazmat/shipping costs.
Old February 6, 2011, 03:40 PM   #11
Clark

Quote:
Sevens A heavy weight .45 ACP bolt rifle.

Link or pictures? Is this something you built yourself? I've never heard of such a beast.

11-7-2000 I bought a Shilen .452" 26" barrel blank from Browells for $104.20
Earlier I got a 1903 Turkish Mauser from BIG5 for $50.
I forged over the bolt handle with Oxyacetylene.
I drilled and tapped the reviver and ground down the charger hump.
I put #45 and #46 Weaver scope mounts on.
I put 45acp brass in a .467" Lee Carbide die and the brass came out .469".
12-05-2000 I got a 45acp throater from Brownells for $30.
I got a .469" straight fluted reamer from J&L for $17.
I cut threads and chamber on the barrel.

The loads for 45acp are:
1) 45 acp................. 18,000psi
2) 45 acp +P...............21,700 psi
3) 45 Super................ 28,000 cup
4) 460 Rowland............ 40,000 cup

I am running mixed 45acp brass considerably hotter than 460 Rowland levels.

There was a guy, Jamie, who started a forum called "surplus rifle". I sent him an email with a picture. He was a software engineer and used some digital manipulation to get rid of the yellow Brownells sticker and some rust on the muzzle in the pic.

10 years later, Jamie is gone from that web site, but his article about my rifle projects is still buried in the vestigial software at that site. The link for the pic still works.

I can find it simply by Google search, as the project follows my success formula of 5 hours in the lathe, 5 minutes at the range, and then post the info over and over on the internet for 10 years.
Old February 6, 2011, 03:46 PM   #12
Sevens

That's hilarious!

I enjoy every Clark post that I read and I never come away with anything that I can use, but I look forward to the next post!

This thing... bullet drops like a rock? What is it, the long way around to a .45-70 or an even longer away around to a .500 Mag barrel on a T/C Encore rifle?

That thing is just plain cool and I have no idea what you can do with it.

Great story.