The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2011, 09:48 AM   #26
overkill0084

If you haven't already, consider buying Modern Reloading 2nd Edition by Richard Lee. It has a very good variety of loads. I found mine for around $12 at Midway. The Lyman 49th book is worth a look as well. I've found that the Bullet manufacturer's books have less variety than the more generalized Lee & Lyman manuals, YMMV. I found the All In One manuals to be less than spectacular. With the previously mentioned books available, my All In Ones see very little use.
90% of my .38 spec & .357 is done w/ 158 gr SWCs. They are a very versatile bullet.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old February 1, 2011, 10:50 PM   #27
Colorado Redneck

Those bullets are looking really good!

We all have things happen when starting out, but as we go along we learn, just like you have.

I work in an office, dealing with useless regulations, permits, whiners that call to complain, etc. I find that making a whole great big bunch of bullets in the evening is a lot more satisfying and fun. It is getting to be at least as much fun as shooting them. Having a loading block full of 44 mag or 22-250 rounds is fun to look at. A person feels like they have done something. And it untangles your mind.
Old February 1, 2011, 11:16 PM   #28
jephthai

Quote:
I work in an office, dealing with useless regulations, permits, whiners that call to complain, etc. I find that making a whole great big bunch of bullets in the evening is a lot more satisfying and fun. It is getting to be at least as much fun as shooting them.
That's exactly what my grandfather told me. He said he started reloading to save money, and then discovered that it became the most engaging part of the shooting hobby. I can see a little glimpse of it -- I'm looking forward to testing my first attempts at the range this weekend!
Old February 2, 2011, 09:54 PM   #29
Colorado Redneck

Sounds like fun! Report back on how that goes. I can't do the range trip this weekend....mama has a bunch of ladies coming over next week so she needs a housemaid this weekend. But when she is distracted there are some 22 Hornet cases waiting in the oldman cave. When she can't find me, she calls on the cell phone and says "Whatcha up to?" "OH--nuthin---much."

This hobby grows and grows. The more you do it the more you find you can do. A new bench, different calibers, new powder, new bullets you need to try out.
Old February 4, 2011, 09:14 PM   #30
jephthai

Quote:
Sounds like fun! Report back on how that goes.
They worked great. I did notice what people mean when they say low-power Bullseye loads are "dirty". Some extra cleaning to do -- but they worked! Thanks everyone, for the help.
Old February 5, 2011, 04:32 PM   #31
bigbird34

Patience

Young Jedi knight....did you jump on your bike w/o training wheels and ride into the sunset ???? Nope !

Reloading is an art,it can be looked at in many different ways ....over time you'll get a lot of info,and you have to weed thru all that advice and see what works best for you ....there is a lot of metors here,and as you can see "crimping" is a critical part of the steps,that you are just starting to master ....once you load your first 10,000,000,000 rounds,you'll still be asking questions !

Good luck,Jim