The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 5, 2018, 10:38 PM   #26
AK Man

My latest build the scope is just high enough to get the side of the scope cap under the scope. I try to get all my scopes low as I can to make accuracy better.
It's an AR47.

They do make snap on cheek risers for ARs to get your eye up in line with the scope.
https://www.amazon.com/Command-Arms-.../dp/B003RCCZK6
Old May 6, 2018, 06:12 AM   #27
HiBC

AK Man : No criticism or complaint here,just an observation. Looking at your setup,it appears that your scope center height is essentially identical to the height of your front sight post.

Which would be the designed sight height for the rifle/stock layout. Your pic lays that out pretty well to see.

I think most of the AR ringmounts,such as an Armalite ,Rock River,ARMS,etc give approximately the same results.

Things get whacky mounting scopes on the old carry handle AR's,but I think for the most part the flattop AR specific parts are made to mount optics at the "right" height . Folks do stack up night vision,magnifiers,etc on the rails.to cowitness using ringmounts.
Of course,individual faces vary,

I don't see why the manufacturers would conspire to make the AR ringmounts and ACOGS and Red-Dot optic mounts at some wrong "too high" height for most folks.

IMO,the ringmounts are a good way to go.
Old May 6, 2018, 07:28 AM   #28
Hunter Customs

I tried it on my Armalite VSR even with the adjustable cheek riser removed I couldn't get my head in the right position to be comfortable for shooting. I was using a 30mm scope with a 42 objective lense.
Old May 7, 2018, 07:39 AM   #29
gshayd

It depends on the objective size a bigger objective size limits your scope mounting options. There are some scopes available in a 27mm and 32 mm objective which will let you mount it lower on the rifle. The front sight sits low on the in the objective and doesn't bother me. You can also buy an adjustable Luth Ar Carbine stock which lets you adjust the length of pull and has an adjustable cheek piece for height.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:17 AM   #30
Caliper

Define low? I've set one at about 1.25" and it gets a solid cheekweld with a Magpul MOE fixed stock.

The path was a WOA cantilever rail combined with the lowest 30mm rings I could find. Power ring just clears the cantilever rail which is a bit of a pain. WOA rail helps here because the center of the rail is scalloped down for added clearance.
Old May 17, 2018, 07:33 AM   #31
pblanc

I understand your problem and share it. If you are only shooting standing or from a bench, you have much greater latitude in how far forward or back you mount the ocular of your scope. If you plan to shoot from three positions, as for CMP or NRA high power competition, you will likely need to mount your scope much farther forward.

I am not a great shot, but what I have gathered from skilled high power shooters is that the great majority advocate a nose to the charging handle head position. Unless you have a nose like Pinocchio, this will require the ocular to be no further back than the rear of the charging handle, and some mount the scope significantly forward of the charging handle. The scope generally will need to be further forward to accommodate the prone position than others.

Bridging the scope across the junction of the receiver and the hand guard by mounting one ring on a receiver rail and one on a hand guard rail is generally not advised. Unless your receiver has a rail that extends well forward of the receiver over the top of the hand guard, or you are using a very compact scope like the Nikon P-223 3X32, you are almost certainly going to need either extension rings, such as the Nikon P rings, or a one-piece cantilever mount to get the scope ocular far enough forward.

As for scope height, although there is some divergence of opinion, most high power shooters seem to favor a scope center-line height of 1.3-1.4" above the top of the Picatinny rail so as to achieve an optimum cheek weld. Unfortunately, most one-piece cantilever mounts and the Nikon P rings place the scope center line 1.5" above the top of the Picatinny rail, or even higher. You can buy a super expensive (and very nice) one piece cantilever mount specifically designed for three position shooting such as CMP National Match high power like this Geissele unit which positions the center line of the scope tube 1.35" above the top of the Picatinny rail:

http://geissele.com/super-precision-...unt-short.html

Unfortunately, that unit was a bit out of my price range. What I went with was a cheaper cantilever mount with a 1.5" mounting height and a snap on cheek riser on the Magpul MOE butt stock of my AR to achieve a better cheek weld. The snap on unit I am using is made by Magpul.

The problem with the snap on cheek risers is that most will prevent use of the charging handle unless the butt stock is fully extended on the receiver extension tube. That is not a problem for me since I have the butt stock fully extended to achieve proper LOP. The butt stock can still be fully collapsed for storage with the cheek riser in place.

If you have a fixed stock you could make an inexpensive comb riser out of some foam and some Vet wrap, but you would need to position this far enough back on the stock to allow full travel of the charging handle.
Old May 17, 2018, 08:09 AM   #32
zeke

Just mounted a scope 2 in height. That is 2 inches from bore center to scope tube center. A 2.5x10x32. Works well for me, but am shorter, bony face and short arms. Use the burris 3 screw aluminum rings. Biggest problem was eye relief, as mounting most scopes forward of charging handle has me craning neck too far.
Old May 17, 2018, 04:03 PM   #33
mellow_c

Thanks pblanc, for posting the link to the geissele mount. That's about twice what i would hope to pay, but it could be a good option. Something to consider for sure!