The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2019, 08:37 PM   #1
Nube

Need opinions on Hornady LNL Press kit etc

OK I have found a Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Reloading Kit with Sonic Cleaner Combo that I might get. I am looking for opinions on this item...(either good or bad), but I would like the reasons behind you opinions, not just you could do better or you don't need all that, etc.... In case you haven't read my previous thread I am still kinda on the fence about getting into this so bear with me. I know this does not have all that I need but I am just getting started and working up to all the components. I thank you all for the patience and advice in the past and the future!!

Last edited by Nube; March 3, 2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old March 2, 2019, 08:48 PM   #2
ms6852

What do you mean on the fence about getting into this. Buying the Hornady combo or reloading?
Old March 2, 2019, 08:57 PM   #3
Nube

Both More so on the kit

Edited for content
Old March 2, 2019, 09:17 PM   #4
big al hunter

The lock-n-load seems like a solid press. I like the idea of fast change dies, but I won't spend the money to convert my press (RCBS Partner) but if i was just starting it would be a strong contender.

The Sonic cleaner is something I have not tried. But I suppose it would do the job as well as I need it to. I currently wet tumble with soap and water only. I hope someone that uses the Sonic cleaner will chime in on it. The draw back for me was cost of cleaning solution. Not sure how often the solution needs to be changed, so I'm not sure what the cost would be.
Old March 3, 2019, 08:20 AM   #5
Nathan

This is a solid kit. I have the press. I really like the quick change dies. I do most of my work on the LNL AP. It is as good as the green presses I have used, but I haven’t used either very much.

The scale is good too from my testing, but I never trickled into it. That will be important with rifle and no dispenser.....otherwise, you have to lift and place the pan each time you trickle.

The other pieces like the hand priming tool, etc, all seem good to me.

Sonic cleaning is wet cleaning. I’m sure it works, but why do you clean brass? I clean to knock the scale off on the outside and the big stuff on the insided. Dry tumbling will do that in a couple hours and finish ready to load. Wet cleaning has dry time in there and cases need to be really dry in the inside, so you are looking at 18 hrs to air dry. If you want squeaky clean, wet is the only way to do that.
Old March 3, 2019, 08:40 AM   #6
Old 454

I have used sonic cleaners.. I dont care for them. SS wet tumbling is better for absolute clean brass.

The LNL press is a good press that should give you years of good service if you take care of it.

I personally like Dillon presses. I have 2 xl 650 presses.

Dillon has sales going on for a complete press un one caliber with everything needed. Check them out before you decide
Old March 3, 2019, 10:07 AM   #7
kmw1954

Nube, I cannot comment on this press or kit in particular but in general most "Kit" are a good way to get introduced into the sport. As for the Sonic Cleaner, I have used one at work that we have for cleaning small mechanical parts and I'm not all that impressed with it.

As I recall from your previous post you are looking to reload a good deal of pistol rounds which is still the case I would still recommend one of the Lee Turret press kits.

Reloading is a great hobby and can get as involved and large as you wish or kept small and unobtrusive. It's all up to you. The biggest investment is the initial outlay because of the press, scale and dies. After that you can add small pcs. and tools as needed as your interest grows. Also once you have the initial tools you can proceed at your own leisure. Nothing is going to go bad or go to waste. Heck you can even set it up, load up a years worth of ammo and them put it away again for another year if you wish. Again it only needs to get as elaborate as you want.

I believe you had the right approach in your last post in the last thread. Go slow, research your needs and desires and take the time to decide which style of press best fits your needs. I state it this way because your needs and my needs most likely are not the same.
Old March 3, 2019, 10:24 AM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Since you seem to be asking about some sort of package deal but you don't provide a link to the package, it's really impossible to comment knowledgeably on the overall package. As others have commented, sonic cleaners aren't especially good for brass. The LNL press is one of the better progressive presses on the market. I know several people who use the LNL and who are very satisfied with it. It's well made and will last you a lifetime.

As to whether or not the kit you are looking at is a good deal -- without knowing what's included in the kit I can't comment.
Old March 3, 2019, 10:34 AM   #9
ms6852

I like the sonic cleaners, I have the Hornady the older larger version. I reload a lot of range brass that may have crusted dirt and the sonic cleaner does an excellent job of cleaning the brass. I normally clean for about 20 minutes and dry in a toaster oven. I use it to clean the barrels of my buckmark, and 1911 slides and barrels. It won't give you shiny brass but it is clean. If I want shiny I toss the brass in a vibratory tumbler for about 30 minutes.
Old March 3, 2019, 10:34 AM   #10
Charlie98

I have that particular press... I've already pulled it and replaced it with an RCBS Rock Chucker. It is not my primary press, I use it in the garage to decap and resize rifle brass, but it just didn't feel... right. I don't like the LNL collet system, although I'll admit it's handy. I thought the linkage was a little wobbly. The decap/primer system is a joke because if you pop a case on the downstroke, the primer arm, which you have to have in for the spent primers to funnel to the tray, pops out and falls on the floor.

Depending on what you are reloading it might be a decent press... I have a Hornady ProJector progressive (pre LNL) that I love and I'll probably be buried with when I die, but I think they missed the mark a little on the Classic LNL. Further, my press is marked 007, the older version of it; I was in Cabelas the other day and was looking at the 'new' version... and it appeared a bit smaller, but I didn't have the two side by side to compare.

My verdict: Unless it's a screaming deal, I'd pass, but it really depends on what you intend to reload with it. If it's just pistol ammos, or smaller rifle ammo, it would probably be OK. I had issues sizing thick .348WCF and .30-06 brass with mine, however.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old March 3, 2019, 11:20 AM   #11
egd

I didn't read your other thread, so I don't know your previous thoughts. But I have the LNL and it works great, none of the problems previousely mentioned. However, I only load 9mm with it.
I started with the Lee classic turret. It's a great press, but the more I got into competitive shooting I needed something to crank out rounds faster. 1 round per pull vs 1 round for 4 pulls--a no brainer for me.
As for the sonic cleaner, I just bought the big Hornady tub cleaner. I don't use it for brass though, I use a vibrating cleaner for that. The sonic cleaner works good for cleaning my pcc. I can put the entire upper or lower in at a time. I hate cleaning guns and this is easier for me.
If you're not in a hurry, there are often good sales around memorial day. That's when I bought my LNL a couple of years ago.
Old March 3, 2019, 12:02 PM   #12
RC20

Along the lines of this one? LNL is not a progressive, its anything reloading Hornady

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Horn...Kit/740228.uts

I have not shopped whats out there. The adapter is unique to Hornady, no opinion other than any fairly comprehensive kit is better than bits and pieces to start with.

As for Sonic cleaners, I don't like chemicals or the smell handling and disposing of them.

I am still using my Thumbler Tumbler and am happy with it.

That is another situational personal thing. My brother went wet pins and really likes it, my method works better for me and how I like to do things. No right or wrong.
Old March 3, 2019, 12:37 PM   #13
egd

Yeah, the LNL-AP is the progressive. The Classic kit RC20 linked is a single stage.
When most people refer to the LNL though they usually mean the progressive. Kinda like the term band-aid for adhesive bandage, although band-aid is a brand name.
Old March 3, 2019, 12:54 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd
Yeah, the LNL-AP is the progressive. The Classic kit RC20 linked is a single stage.
But Nube didn't link to anything in the opening post, which is why his question is difficult to answer.
Old March 3, 2019, 02:24 PM   #15
egd

Agreed. I didn't read the op closely enough.
Old March 3, 2019, 02:54 PM   #16
Nube

Well after reading the responses I apologize for not including the links for the kit and cleaner so here is the one that I was looking at:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/horn...-cleaner-combo

I will try to do better next time, I appreciate the guidance though.
Old March 3, 2019, 04:11 PM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

IMHO, that's a lot of money for a single stage press and a powder measure. I don't think you'll be happy with the sonic cleaner, so I discount that as being of any value. I think if you're certain that a single stage press is all you'll need, a Lee breechlock press would be far more cost-effective for you.

I know many people advocate starting with a single stage while you learn to reload. If you were only doing centerfire rifle I would go along with that. Pistols eat ammo, and it takes time to load pistol ammo just as it takes time to load rifle ammo. I only reload for handguns. I started with a single stage press, and within about a week or two I was done. I bought a Lee Turret press, and that's what I've been using for the ten or twelve years I've been reloading. It's not as fast as a progressive press, but it's far faster than trying to produce handgun quantities of ammo on a single stage.
Old March 3, 2019, 04:12 PM   #18
kmw1954

Not a problem here from me. I had a pretty good idea what you were talking about. Just a matter of what was included with the "Kit".

In my mind the two biggest items to consider when getting started are the press and the scale, then the dies.

For the presses there are 3 basic designs; single stage, turret and progressive. 1st thing to do is determine which one of these best suites your needs, not what someone else thinks you need. The type and amount of ammunition will help determine which is the best fit. Then after you know this part then you can think Brands and Models.

Next will come the scale. Balance beam or electronic? I suggest you read as much as you can and then sort the chaff. I prefer balance beam as I feel they are more accurate and repeatable with the least amount of drift or variation. The electronics have come a long way but when one is dealing with grains and not grams or ounces I'll trust gravity.

Dies are as personable as the presses. Everyone has favorites that they will die for. A die is also a tool and only as good as the man that made it. If it's faulty then return it for a different one. All companies make good products or they wouldn't still be in business and yes this is a very competitive business.. If you scrounge the forums you will find stories of presses and dies that have been in use for 20,30,40 years and still producing reliable ammunition.

The one item I suggest not skimping on is a caliper. It is used more often than people think and is as valuable as the press, scale or dies and will help keep you safe and your work in reliable condition.

No I am not going to push one brand or model over any other, that's not my place and I am not a sales person. My only wish is that you stay safe and enjoy this hobby that I truly love should you decide to indulge.
Old March 3, 2019, 06:29 PM   #19
RC20

The only downside I see is you are locked into the LNL bushings. Not a bid deal but would want one for each die.

As noted I am not a Sonic cleaner guy, so that is personnel thing and hard to know until you try it.

You do get the basic tools to get going and that is a plus. Those small things like funnels add up. The reload book is $30 or more by itself. Its a really good one (I have two favorites and Hornady is one)

I forget you cartridges, I am ok doing them single but I don't reload a lot of pistol. What I do is mostly large.

I still have my original funnel and debur chamfer tool as well as the beam scales (let me know, see if its worth selling one or not).

With an electronic scale you do need some backup, either a beam or another electronic. Once they last they are good but they can get funky in the first year.

My first Frankfurt lasted years then the next one crapped out in months (not worth hounding anyone over)

I have two auto dispensers (boy can I got to town loading) a Horandy like the set has and a Lyman 2000 (I used that as a cross check for the two auto dispensers now but it been backup when the Lyman 6000 went bad)
Old March 3, 2019, 06:56 PM   #20
ed308

I've had that press for precision ammo. Not bad if not loading a lot of ammo. I didn't care for the priming system. But you can always prime off the press. I exchange mine for a Hornady Iron press. I use a Dillon for pumping out a lot of ammo.
Old March 3, 2019, 07:00 PM   #21
ECM4

I bought a hornady kit but I got the deluxe version on sale online at Natchez. Really good deal with their sale. I really enjoy the hornady. Very quick changing out dies makes it nice. It came with just about everything I needed for starting to reload. I reload both pistol and rifle. Scale has been alitte bit of a disappointment. I feel like it will need to be upgraded soon. But overall great deal and works great. Pistol ammo is alittle slow reloading on the single stage but I enjoy doing it so time isn’t to bad. Gets me some quiet time away from wife and kids. Lol. This is the only press I have used so I don’t really have anything to compare to but I would recommend getting one. Also I do love the free bullets with press and die set purchases by just paying shipping.