The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2019, 07:02 PM   #26
std7mag

7mm Dakota???

Tempting not to ream mine out to that...

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 23, 2019, 07:07 PM   #27
kilotanker22

I am happy with the velocity I am getting from this. I actually like shooting the 7mm. Kinda wish I would have ordered the Winchester XPR in 7mm instead of 300. Lol, after I buy that 325 wsm I saw the other day. Maybe I will buy another 7mm. Maybe a wsm.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 24, 2019, 10:43 AM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

I don't know what typical 7 mm RM barrel life is. Probably around 1500 rounds, but that can vary a lot depending on how you shoot. The key is to watch for un-called fliers that appear with more and more regularity. They may only be out by half an inch, but get more and more frequent and all tend to have the same POI, IME. As near as I can tell, it seems to have to do with assymetric throat wear tipping some bullets in the bore and not others, but the percent that are tipped gets worse as the throat does.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 24, 2019, 11:06 AM   #29
hounddawg

If the gun is going to be hunting only from this point the barrel should last as lifetime. For a target shooter, replace at the end of every season if not more often

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/barrel-life/
Old February 24, 2019, 12:35 PM   #30
kilotanker22

Well. It shoots several types of factory ammo at best 1.5". Best groups I have shot yet we're with the load I just discussed here. I am still .050 from the lands at mag length. The one in or so group I shot yesterday were perfect shots on my part.

Maybe I would do better if I upgrade the optic. I bought the rifle with an old Bushnell banner. Have not switched it out yet. Still. An old rifle that shoots a 150 grain ELDx at 3200 fps. Into a 1 inch group with single digits SD is good enough for me.

I will say that I recoil is pretty stout with this load. Despite the porting in the barrel.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 24, 2019, 01:02 PM   #31
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddawg View Post
If the gun is going to be hunting only from this point the barrel should last as lifetime. For a target shooter, replace at the end of every season if not more often

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/barrel-life/
Interesting article Houndawg. Thanks for posting that!
– St. Augustine
Old February 24, 2019, 03:10 PM   #32
Unclenick
Staff

I actually looked at that same article when cross-checking my 1500 guess. There is quite a range though. Back in the late '90s, Kevin Thomas did machine rest testing of .308 Barrels at Sierra's test facility, working them into the regular bullet QC test process. He found chrome-moly showed its first flier at around 3,000 rounds and 416 SS ran about 3,500 rounds. That grew to 4,000 rounds with cryo-treatment. Unfortunately, he never tested cryo-treatment of chrome-moly. I say that because, in claims for extending the life of cutting tools, cryo-treatment has much more effect on chrome-moly than on stainless.

I note there have been at least a couple of reports of 416R 5R rifled barrels in M24's going over 15,000 rounds and still shooting straight. So, as I said, the range of possibilities is great and very dependent on usage conditions and care.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 24, 2019, 04:14 PM   #33
hounddawg

the article is pretty close on the .260 Rem at least. I burned out a fantastic barrel at c.2200 and a .204 Ruger at a whopping c.3800 pushing 38 gn pills at close to 4KFPS . Like Unclenick said you just start seeing more flyers. Both still group well under a MOA. That .260 would make someone a fine hunting barrel if it was cut off and turned down even without setting the chamber forward. That .204 would still get you a good hit count on rats out to 200 too.