The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2015, 01:25 PM   #1
stevebel

primer question...new to reloading

I just picked up a lee classic turret press. I've done a lil bit with a single stage. What I'm needing to know is about cleaning primer pockets. I used the cleaning tool with the single stage press but I was watching YouTube video on setting up my turret press and realized that with the auto primer the person isn't cleaning the primer pockets. Is it really not necessary or should I go ahead and remove all primers and clean the pockets before I move to the next step? Thanks
Old July 17, 2015, 01:38 PM   #2
overthere

When loading for accuracy, for me only rifle cartridges, I clean the primer pockets.

If for plinking, whether pistol or rifle, I do not clean the pockets.

No idea if it makes a difference either way.
Old July 17, 2015, 01:38 PM   #3
skizzums

I have never cleaned a primer pocket. Some do on their match grade ammo and not on range ammo. Some do it on all and some do it on none. It's a personal choice, I can tell you that it has absolutely no effect on reliability. I haven't ever had a primer not go off and I've never cleaned a pocket
Old July 17, 2015, 01:40 PM   #4
condor bravo

I think most of your responders will say not necessary for most purposes but go ahead and do so if you really think you must. But definitely do not bother depriming cases that are already primed just to clean the primer pockets. For some specific purposes like loading .30-06 rounds for the Garand, primer pocket cleaning would be recommended.
Old July 17, 2015, 01:44 PM   #5
F. Guffey

stevebel. I have progressive presses, 5 total, most of my reloading includes the use of an RCBS Case Prep Center. I use a primer pocket uniformed with 4 other tools that are used to prep brass.

I also have primer pocket brushes, problem, I do not recommend placing a case on the spinning primer pocket brush. The primer pocket brush works better when installed on a hand held handle. Cleaning primer pockets is not an absolute must for me, when using a progressive press from sizing/punching primers to seating bullets cleaning the primer pocket is not practice.

F. Guffey
Old July 17, 2015, 01:49 PM   #6
velillen

I'm another in the don't bother cleaning them camp. Especially for pistol. My rifle ends up getting cleaned just due to how I prep. I tend do a quick clean of the cases, full length size, then do a longer time in the tumbler so the primers end up being cleaned due to that
Old July 17, 2015, 01:53 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Primer pockets usually don't get terribly dirty. Isn't really something to worry too much about.
Old July 17, 2015, 03:27 PM   #8
stevebel

Thank you to everyone who replied. 1st post and lots of great information
Old July 17, 2015, 04:03 PM   #9
AllenJ

I have never cleaned the primer pocket on pistol ammo and only clean rifle primer pockets when the case requires trimming. I've never had a problem and can't tell any difference in accuracy.
Old July 17, 2015, 04:23 PM   #10
robinsroost

I used to clean them but now I do not. I can't tell the difference, they all go bang when you pull the trigger........Robin
Old July 17, 2015, 04:27 PM   #11
wogpotter

One good reason to keep the single stage even after upgrading.
Depriime on the SS, clean, ream & so on till your heart's content then reload on the progressive.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old July 17, 2015, 08:18 PM   #12
Longshot4

I am with F.Guffy with the Uniformer. Manny times in the past I have had problems trying to seat the primer flush or a little below the head stamp. When loading pistols or rifles. With revolvers a high primer can foul the frame preventing you from turning the cylinder.

Then I finally purchased a Redding pocket uniformer and I will always use it when I first load cases. Just the first time. That guarantees that primers will seat with constant resistance and depth. Every other time I load a case I might use a brush to clean out the pockets.
Old July 17, 2015, 08:32 PM   #13
Reloader2

I usually prep rifle brass during separate sessions. As part of the prepping I give the primer pockets a quick swab with the brush. Doesn't take much time.
Old July 18, 2015, 01:29 PM   #14
cw308

I'm with F.Guffey & Longshot4. I also trim every time & debur inside of flash hole once on first time brass. I try to keep every case exact every time I reload.
Old July 18, 2015, 03:10 PM   #15
Mozella

I clean my .223 primer pockets each and every time as well as the inside of the case;however, since I try to avoid unnecessary handling of individual pieces of brass I clean them using a wet, SS media procedure. It's easy, quick, and the brass comes out looking like new, including the primer pockets. It's all bulk handling too, so no extra tedium. Reloading is tedious enough without making extra steps.

Is cleaning primer pockets necessary or even good? I don't know but it's automatic for me and I figure it can't hurt. The brass needs cleaning whenever I trim, deburr, normalize the primer pockets, etc. Even when I full length resize, the lube needs removing and the wet SS process works great after any of these processes.
Old July 18, 2015, 03:13 PM   #16
emcon5

For rifles I load singe stage and clean them every time. For pistols, progressive and I don't bother.
Old July 19, 2015, 02:51 AM   #17
skizzums

as post before the last stated. if it's a concern, stainless stel pin tumber. set-up is "slightly" costly, but if you haven't already inverted in a vibratory and media, that will offset the inital cost some. i dont own a SS tumble, but i have just recently ordered about 3000 rounds that were universally decapped and SS tumbles, and hole begeez, the brass comes out looking virgin with spoless, shiny pockets. but ihave yet to see imperical evidence ransom resting loaded ammo with different styles of pocket cleaning compared to none at all.

i still have over a thousand of SS's 40 and 9mm. i'll try to get a test done next week with a chrony and ransomed 9mm carbine and really see if there is a discernable different in either velocity or accuracy or consistency. i think lots of folks would be interested in that.
Old July 19, 2015, 07:21 PM   #18
North East Redneck

I mostly reload pistol cartridges. I do clean primer pockets depending on how dirty they look. I usually can reload a case three or four times before I feel the need to clean. Is it necessary? Probably not. But that's what I do.
Old July 19, 2015, 07:47 PM   #19
Nick_C_S

I get my brass shiny clean; inside n out; and primer pockets; by wet tumbling with stainless steel pins. I like to start the load process with squeaky clean primer pockets.

But is it necessary?

Not likely.

There are just way too many reputable loaders here in TFL who state they never clean primer pockets, for me to believe otherwise. So for me, it's just a personal preference thing.
Old July 19, 2015, 09:18 PM   #20
Jim243

Pistol cases never, rifle case always.

Jim
Old July 20, 2015, 11:46 AM   #21
oley55

wet tumbling

for many, many years I never cleaned my pistol brass (primer pockets or otherwise). when I started reloading 556 I was concerned about trash harming my dies so I built a large capacity wet SS pin tumbler and now I clean everything.

does it make a difference, I dunno. But having clean brass inside and out, does help me quickly see the powder charge in each case. In most cases the primer pocket will be shiny clean, but not always. regardless they are clean enough that I can not imagine there being any negative impact.
Old July 20, 2015, 01:59 PM   #22
TimSr

30 years loading - Never cleaned one, never will.
Old July 20, 2015, 02:30 PM   #23
serf 'rett

Some clean, some don't. Some like Jim243 clean rifle only. I let the sst pins do the work.