The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 14, 2015, 07:03 PM   #1
4T4MAG

Load dev. 338 Win Mag

I have been playing around with new loads for my Browning A-Bolt 338 Win Mag. I'm using once fired brass with a 225 Hdy SST tip, fed mag match primer with 53.5 Varget, all loaded to factory COAL. 3.340 +/- .002. Varget is a new powder for me in the Win Mag. The target marked #1 was shot a week prior to #2 and was 4 shots with the bottom round being the first one fired out of a cold, wet patched barrel. The second target was 8 rounds using the same method, fire 4 and wet patch the bbl. On the second target the groups are good enough. On the 2nd target, how much is my load issue and how much is my inability to shoot on a lead sled at 100 yds off a bench?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #1.JPG (208.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg #2.JPG (205.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by 4T4MAG; July 14, 2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old July 14, 2015, 08:21 PM   #2
condor bravo

Ideally don't think we can really tell much yet with just two groups but they certainly aren't looking bad. By way of comparison only, I find my M-70 .338 Win to be quite accurate, not often getting five rounds from the bench into the desired 1", but the five rounds quite typically into 1.25" at 100. Haven't used a sled, but basic sandbags, using pretty much generic loadings of 4350 and 250 gr Hornady RN. To begin with this rifle had a free floating barrel and was extremely inaccurate, some four inch groups at 100 yards. What quickly pulled the whole thing into place was inserting a tight fitting shim near the stock forend and glassing into place. But it sounds to me your rifle is doing fine and some groups will improve.

Last edited by condor bravo; July 15, 2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old July 15, 2015, 08:44 PM   #3
4T4MAG

Thank you for your reply. I'll keep shooting a few more groups and see what happens. The rifle is glass bedded and free floating, however it is a factory Browning stock. I guess I should be good with roughly 1" @ 100, its a hunting rifle not a bench gun. I'll check the bedding and tighten everything up and see what happens.