The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 16, 2017, 12:28 PM   #26
TruthTellers

I think a better question is: will we ever see a departure from polymer?

Steel is fine for a collection or a target/competition gun, but for any defense use, steel is heavy to carry while polymer is light and doesn't rust. If there's going to be a change from polymer, it won't be to steel, it will be to harder non-ferrous metals like Scandium or aircraft aluminum or, what seems to be gaining a lot of interest now, Magnesium.

Polymer is just easy to make and cheap. Unless there's a drastic increase of using 3D printing in manufacturing, the metals I listed above will have to be cast/forged, then machined, and finished. That's a lot of time and money and I don't think it's something the majority of people in a future where jobs will be scarce from lack of work thanks to automation and robots and AI taking their old jobs that they'll have the money to pay for that higher cost.
Old August 16, 2017, 03:25 PM   #27
Carmady

Aluminum barrels and polymer bullets.
Old August 16, 2017, 03:38 PM   #28
rock185

Don't think there will be a resurgence of steel. I think it will go the other way. Manufacturers will continue to look for ways to undercut the competition. Soon as they can perfect reinforced paper mache for the frames, and recycled eyeglass frames, or some such, for the other components, that's what we'll have. People will extol the virtues of the new, modern, paper mache pistols. They are so much better and lighter than those old Glocks, XDs, M&Ps,etc. And, MSRP will only be about only $23.25, but CDNN will have them for $18.69, with a free Chinese weapon light
Old August 16, 2017, 07:55 PM   #29
cslinger

I have no problem with polymer guns. I just think it is a shame we are moving towards that point where they are the far in away most available option. There is something about a steel gun. I mean hell I like guns all of em. So I am fairly covered, but there is something of romance and soul in a well machined metal firearm.
Old August 16, 2017, 09:50 PM   #30
Doc Holliday 1950

I like the feel of steel & I also like Poly. I might be crazy but as long as everything works like it should, I don't really care. Yes, I lust after my 66 327 Chevy
but that's long gone like chocolate flavor straws and Imperial yo yo's that glow in the dark when you spin them. Se La Vie!

Doc
Old August 17, 2017, 06:17 AM   #31
CajunBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmady
Doubt it, but in 30 or 40 years shooters who are young now will be waxing poetical about the good ol' days when "plastic was plastic, and not this new crap they've come out with."
I wish we had a "like" button. I'd hit it twice.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 17, 2017, 06:58 AM   #32
arquebus357

I'm late in this polymer pistol era. Just picked up a Ruger American Compact. I very much like this pistol except for perverted Glock like trigger "safety" blade. I believe the metal drop in fire group into a polymer frame is a very practical design. Why haul around all the extra weight of steel if you don't need it.

I'm not what you would call a shooter so I don't have all those problems associated with holding and firing a handgun. Some write-ups sound more like the story of the "Princess and the Pea" than a gun review.
Old August 17, 2017, 08:48 AM   #33
rep1954

"Will we ever see a resurgence in steel??"

No but you will see a surge in metal gun collectors. I'm sure prices will soar.
Old August 17, 2017, 09:59 AM   #34
K_Mac

I agree that longing for the 'good ole days' and the associated material things is part of the human condition. I also don't think all steel handguns are going anywhere soon. That doesn't mean they are ever going to compete with the today's polymer offerings or the materials of the future though. Just like vinyl records and tube amps or muscle cars with naturally aspirated big block V8s with points ignition systems, many of us will remember them fondly and maybe even own a few. We will listen to digitally produced music and drive modern vehicles though...

Last edited by K_Mac; August 17, 2017 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old August 17, 2017, 11:25 AM   #35
Screwball

There are still steel guns out there, but I don't think we will ever go back to them being a mainstay. Too heavy, and I think the military's movement to the P320 was the death nail for most alloy framed contracts.

Polymer isn't bad, as long as the quality is there. Crappy polymer is just as bad as crappy alloy. You don't see widespread issues with most manufacturers because of the amount of time these have already been in the firearms market.

I love my CZ SP-01, as well as my S&W 1006. They are great pistols, and likely will never sell them... but I don't carry them.
Old August 17, 2017, 08:11 PM   #36
pete2

Plastic guns are popular because: A, they are cheaper
B, Gaston Glock is a great salesman
Old August 17, 2017, 08:59 PM   #37
osbornk

I don't think steel guns will return any more than I think the heavy all steel cars and heavy TVs with glass picture tubes will return. Light, efficient, more reliable and cheaper is today's reality. My light and efficient half plastic car and my LED/LCD TVs are far more efficient and reliable than those in the "good old days" and my polymer guns never fail me. I even bought a Mossberg Blaze 47 rifle with a polymer receiver that has been flawless and the entire gun weighs just over 4 pounds.

My favorite gun to shoot is an all steel 1911 but when I carry, it is always a polymer gun.
Old August 17, 2017, 09:42 PM   #38
Onward Allusion

As likely as rear-wheel-drive making a comeback in the consumer auto industry.
Old August 18, 2017, 10:02 AM   #39
Independent George

Steel will always be around, but it's pretty much done in the duty/carry category due to weight and cost.

For range use, that weight is actually a boon because of the way it soaks up recoil.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old August 18, 2017, 05:03 PM   #40
ShootistPRS

There are a number of guns that are made and sold that are all steel. I don't believe that the all steel gun is ever going away. Yes, there are some advantages to plastic in guns and there will likely be new plastics designed that will make frames more durable. There may even be ceramics that can be used for barrels and the common steel parts in guns now but all steel guns will be around when people want to buy them.
Old August 19, 2017, 02:03 AM   #41
tipoc

Quote:
"Will we ever see a resurgence in steel??"
Sure, you see that now.

tipoc
Old August 31, 2017, 01:05 PM   #42
PT-92

I think it's analogous 'print media' vs. 'online media' consumption...Some people still prefer the feel of a 'paper newspaper and or magazine' as opposed to same being had electronically via phone, tablet, comp, etc...Same applies to a Browning Hi Power, S&W 686 vs. a Glock 19 or LCR or some variation thereof... Of course, one's age may be a predominant factor in this equation?
Old August 31, 2017, 01:47 PM   #43
OldMarksman
Staff

Most unlikely.

Aside from cost and weight, the design of products that must be manufactured by removing metal or casting it or forging involves certain other limitations on the end product. Sam Colt and John Browning were able to do fantastic things with what they had, but the FN 509, Glock, and others of their ilk could not have been made then.

Differences are manifested in parts count and nuances of geometry.

Everyone is lamenting the demise of the Browning HP, which was a legend in its time, but I'll wager that objective customers would choose the 509 every day of the week.
Old August 31, 2017, 03:04 PM   #44
tipoc

This all depends on what question is being asked.

Why does anyone still make revolvers? Why single action revolvers?

It's because there is a market for them.

So why pistols made of steel and aluminum alloys? Why don't they all disappear now?

Because there is a large market for them.

There is no doubt that polymer framed guns, long and short will increasingly dominate, as they do now, the military and law enforcement arenas. Their utility and greatly lower costs of production make that a given. It's why the question is even raised, because it's a fact now. But that fact does not mean that metal framed guns will receded into oblivion.

Metal framed gun are doing just fine at present and will do that for the foreseeable future. There share of the market may decline some.

Will polymer framed AR's and pistols disappear and metal and wood long guns again become dominant? No that won't happen. But that also doesn't mean that AKs will disappear inside of 5 years and Marlin leverguns in 45/70 or 30/30 will cease production in 2020 either.

CZ is going to continue selling both it's metal and poly sidearms for a long time. They've been doing well despite the downturn.

tipoc
Old August 31, 2017, 03:31 PM   #45
ShootistPRS

I think the real question is what material will replace the polymers that they are currently using. Steel guns are going to be around for a very long time because people like me like the steel.
Old September 3, 2017, 01:20 PM   #46
tipoc

Another way of looking at it is this...Ford began mass producing gas powered automobiles and trucks in 1903. Within 2-3 decades the horsedrawn wagon was sidelined and all but gone (some use in agriculture, and carriage rides, etc.).

It's been over 50 years since the AR was introduced and over 30 since the Glock. And still...

tipoc
Old September 3, 2017, 07:08 PM   #47
JoeSixpack

And over a 100 years for 1911.. and look how many "me too" brands make them.

It's almost easier to name the ones that don't.
Old September 4, 2017, 10:46 AM   #48
jetinteriorguy

In my own experience I have a fair amount of both, polymer for carry and practice. But for any serious range shooting I'm really loving the steel/all metal guns. All my revolvers are steel, and I have an all steel FEG HiPower clone,an all metal CZ 75B SA, and an all steel Star in 9mm. Other than my P07, my polymers are pretty good for me to 7 yds, the P07 is good out to 15 yds no problem. But all my steel/metal guns are much better once you get beyond 10yds for me.
Old September 11, 2017, 04:15 AM   #49
thibaultfelix40

It is not the guns, it's the parts. What is the best material for this one part under consideration. I don't forsee plastic barrels with steel stocks.
Old September 11, 2017, 05:12 AM   #50
ARqueen15

I enjoy shooting steel and was quite fond of my cz75. I'd even consider a 1911 if good ones weren't as pricey as they are. The aesthetics and history of a 19 11 or browning hi power tug as strong as ever.

However I never enjoyed carrying the cz and while you might say it's because I'm a female I doubt many men want to carry a 3+ pound gun.

Polymer works too well for carry guns. While guns like the glock 34 are good for competition shooting.

I think if there was a flood of demand for solely metal guns then we'd see the companies sell them accordingly. And in fact there are such models out there.

I think steel will stick around just as SA revolvers and lever action rifles have. I'd say people will shoot them for fun and nostalgia even as the contemporary stuff keeps evolving.

Sadly though I think we're almost certain to see far fewer choices in all guns thanks to the tide of gun control. I look to canada and Europe for what these entities want for us.