The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 12, 2013, 07:14 PM   #1
4D5

Remington Golden Bullet Squib

I’m not a fan of Rem GB because I get a lot of inconsistent reports when shooting and usually a fair share of duds. However with the scarcity of ammo, I purchased this ammo at Wally World a few weeks ago. It’s all they have had in weeks and I bought 3 boxes and my brother bought the remaining other 3 boxes.

Well today I had the S&W 15-22 out and had a Golden Bullet squib.

I had a very light report and no hole in the paper so I removed the magazine, pulled the bolt back and the spent brass ejected. I keep a brass rod in the truck so I got it out to make sure the barrel was clear. Good thing I checked because I tapped out the round in the picture below.

In my area scorning any ammo is a crap shoot. I’ll certainly be glad when there’s more ammo on the shelf and a person can once again pick and choose his preferred ammo of choice.

Last edited by 4D5; May 12, 2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old May 12, 2013, 08:40 PM   #2
lamarw

I am assuming the mushed area on the base of the bullet is from your cleaning rod???

Lucky you caught the squib. The next shot would of been bye - bye to your barrel if not a possible injury.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:24 PM   #3
4D5

Quote:
lamarw
I am assuming the mushed area on the base of the bullet is from your cleaning rod???
It was not from a cleaning rod. I used a brass rod from the muzzle as the bullet was approximately 6 inches from the breech. So only the nose of the bullet (not shown) was a little dinged up.

The deformed base of the bullet was from firing alone.

Fortunately the gun did not cycle and that precluded firing another round on top of the squib.

However, after no hole in a brand new sheet of paper and low report, checking the condition of the firearm was a given.

Old May 12, 2013, 11:39 PM   #4
BarryLee

I’ve never seen that, but have experienced a lot of them that simply do not fire. The first time I thought something was wrong with my Ruger Mark II, but had several people suggest it was the ammo. I switched to CCI and have never had another issue. Of course, as you mentioned, we have to sort of take what we can get right now.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 13, 2013, 06:57 AM   #5
Dashunde

I have not had much luck with that stuff either, dead rounds aplenty.
Old May 13, 2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Wreck-n-Crew

I noticed the brass shell casing has powder burns as well as as scratches on the shell. I guess those scratches were from the ejection process but the powder burn pattern is odd.

Almost lines up with the deformed backside of the round. Looks more like an actual accidental fire due to a strike on the rim before the round was lined up and fully in the chamber.

Is it possible it was not fully seated when you pulled the trigger? In other words, it didn't feed right?

What ever it was it is enough to frustrate anyone!
Old May 13, 2013, 09:30 AM   #7
lamarw

As Wreck-N-Crew and I observed, there was something amiss and caused the melted and/or deformed base on the bullet in your photo.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Mausermolt

i dont think anything was awry with the rifle. i think Remington Golden bullets are the problem. i wont touch that crap anymore. it used to be i would only shoot the good ol Goldenbullet but that all changed about 10 years ago. bout every other round was either a light charge or a dud. i dont touch anything Remington anymore unless it was made before 2000.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:41 PM   #9
osbornk

I have shot 600-700 in the last few months through my semi-automatic pistol, semi-automatic rifle and my revolver and I have not had any issues at all. I've had a few with Federal bulk bur never with a Golden Bullet.
Old May 13, 2013, 03:29 PM   #10
lamarw

Not sure whether it was the weapon or the bullet. It is obvious there is a problem.

I think the poster should send the photos and information provided here to Remington and ask for an explanation. At least Remington need to be aware of the problem in case they should issue a recall or warning to the shooting public.

Why waste time on the forum when Remington needs to be alerted. Then let us know of their response.
Old May 13, 2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Prof Young

Remington going down hill

Remington used to mean high quality everything. Somewhere along the way over the last 30 years or so that has changed. I had a Rem model 7 chambered for 223. From day one it had trouble chambering around. I'd work the action and the bullet would simply not line up with the chamber. I gave up on Remington ammo some time ago. Over the years, I've probably tossed out nearly 100 golden bullets that were duds. And they still haven't owned up to the safety problems with the 700 that have caused multiple injuries even deaths. And the evidence is in on that note. There is a well documented problem. No more Remington anything for me.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old May 13, 2013, 06:22 PM   #12
Beagle45ACP

Quote:
Is it possible it was not fully seated when you pulled the trigger? In other words, it didn't feed right?
I feel like this is entirely possible. I was shooting a friend's S&W 15-22 and had a few cases where the round went off before being chambered. Before you ask - I knew that it wasn't fully in there because I was shooting lefty, with my right hand using the magwell as a vfg and my thumb caught a decent blast coming out of the partially open slide.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old May 13, 2013, 09:36 PM   #13
weblance

You are not the first. Remington GB is crap.

Almost Blew My New SP101 22 Into Chunks Today
Old May 13, 2013, 11:26 PM   #14
4D5

Contacted Remington yesterday

Sent pictures and info to Remington yesterday.

I heard back from Remington and they are setting up contact return info.

Unfortunately, this was one of the last few rounds in the box so a representative sample from that box doesn't exist. I do however have a couple boxes that will most likely go to Remington.
Old May 13, 2013, 11:31 PM   #15
4D5

As far as condition upon firing.

The bolt was in fully battery. I'm a lefty so I'd definitely notice an out of battery condition.

Upon inspection after firing, the bolt was fully in battery and when I pulled the bolt to the rear the spent case ejected without any abnormality.

There was obviously some sort of ammo defect.

I shot a couple other brands after that and had no issues.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:09 AM   #16
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

More than 2.5 Billion rounds of 22 made every year and almost that much is shot up so you are going to get duds, it happens. I found most of mine come from Value packs and rarely buy them because of that but I can't think of any brand where I don't occasionally have one. Sounds to me like your round did not have a powder charge and the primer alone pushed it into your barrel. I have had that happen with a 30-30, 38 spcl and a 45ACP but never a 22 ... yet. If you shoot long enough it will happen again, it's bound to but don't just dump the blame all on golden bullet, they are better than they were a few years ago but no brand is perfect and no brand is all bad. (admitted, some are worse than others)
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 21, 2013, 07:38 PM   #17
lamarw

I respect you for taking the time and making the effort to notify Remington.
Old May 23, 2013, 06:45 PM   #18
magnum777

I actually have had good luck with Remington golden bullets with my Ruger mark lll, most other rounds I use have more jam ups.
Old May 24, 2013, 01:54 PM   #19
FrankenMauser

The deformed base of the bullet was not caused by the squib event, but was the cause of the event.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:54 PM   #20
bamaranger

luck

Ya know, folks bash the GB on a regular basis, but my experience with them has been the exact opposite. OH yeah, I get some blooper rounds now and again, but not any more, and a good bit less, than the other bulk box cartridges.

I run a variety of .22's and the results are same for each. And accuracy is satisfactory (for what it it) too.

CCI seems to be the most consistent "common" ammo, but its a couple of bucks higher per hundred (well, was, I have not seen .22 ammo in 4-5 months).

I wonder if a lot this dud round business might be gunked up rifles or weak springs, or a combo of both.
Old May 29, 2013, 09:14 AM   #21
22-rimfire

I suspect that the deformed bullet was already deformed prior to shooting as FrankenMauser said and the bullet was the cause of the event.

I still think the cartridge was not fully seated in the chamber when it fired. Just because the next one is fully seated means nothing.

Your experience suggests that when loading up, if you see anything unusual in terms of a cartridge, don't even bother to use it. Not worth the heartburn.
Old May 29, 2013, 04:51 PM   #22
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I have shot 600-700 in the last few months through my semi-automatic pistol, semi-automatic rifle and my revolver and I have not had any issues at all. I've had a few with Federal bulk bur never with a Golden Bullet.
That's me as well. First I thought it was a regional thing, but if that's true, it changes every few months. Federal, you send your crap to this part of the country, Winchester to this part, Remington.......who's turn is it to send the garbage to the northwest?
Old May 30, 2013, 09:23 AM   #23
22-rimfire

I shoot GB's too and make no bones about it. They tend to be more accurate/consistant than other HV rounds (excluding CCI). I always viewed CCI 22 ammo as "expensive". Funny, that was my view as a young person and young man when money was tighter but the feeling remains today. That doesn't mean I don't buy CCI stuff. I have a couple of cases of their SV currently and probably about 3000-4000 rounds of mixed HPs and solids in HV.