The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 28, 2013, 02:46 PM   #1
simonrichter

"Modular Handgun System" - any progress?

The Army recently (OK, a few years ago, yet "recently" in terms of DoD purchase routines...) ordered quite a number of new M9 pistols and the Marines a (significantly smaller) number of this brownish-coated Colt Marine Pistol. Still, according to Wikipedia, the so-called "Modular Handgun System" evaluation program is not off the stove so far, even more, it says that "testing should be completed by 2013". Is there anything essential about this or is it just to keep bureaucrats occupied while planning to stick with the M9 until the first Phaser or Blaster gun is introduced into service?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_Handgun_System
Old June 28, 2013, 06:26 PM   #2
thedudeabides

The M9 and Colt M45 CQB are both perfectly adequate guns.

I'd trust the M45 to hell and back over any plastic gun. Don't need to waste tax payer dollars on something new.
Old June 28, 2013, 07:46 PM   #3
DasGuy

The Army just ordered 100,000 M9s over the next 5 years. I don't see it going anywhere soon.
Old June 29, 2013, 04:55 PM   #4
simonrichter

Quote:
I'd trust the M45 to hell and back over any plastic gun. Don't need to waste tax payer dollars on something new
and, besides, it sure looks cool in its desert tan color. I only wonder about the grip plates, they look rather fancy, like featuring an ornamentation, which would be a little bit odd for a gun that was particularly designed for the military...

Tags
beretta , m9 pistol , service pistol