The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2009, 07:09 PM   #1
outdoorlover127

Reloading XD 45ACP Problems

I have just started reloading and am having some trouble
I have 200 Gr Berry's Hollow Points and am charging with
W231
I have tried 5.0, 5.2 Gr and both Jam
Today I loaded 5 rounds @ 5.5Gr, I didn't get any jams but the brass is
ejectong just to the side and landing at my feet.
I am at near Max load, Max is 5.6Gr
Could this be caused by the XD,s 18Lb spring?
And is there any way to get better ejection?

Thanks for your help
Old March 30, 2009, 08:04 PM   #2
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Sorry to hear about your problem. I use 5.0-5.2gr Hodgdon HP38 (same as Win 231) for my 230gr bullets. I took a gander at the load data and you're right. 5.6gr is about your max load. I don't see the need for you to load quite that high in order for the XD to function reliably.

A couple of items I would address is to make sure you have proper grip technique and double check your OAL. If you have it too long, you can have pressures too low as long as there's still bullet leade.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 30, 2009, 08:35 PM   #3
jamaica

First, let me say you may need more powder.

Checking some loading data in Hornady's and Lyman's book, with 200 grain bullets they have max loads from 6.0 to 6.4 grains of 231 depending on the bullet.

Check another source for data. Don't just buy what I have said.
What book are you getting your data from? You can get data online. Just Google your powder type. "W 231 data"

Also: www.hodgdon.com/

I loaded some 200 grain bullets for my xd 45 using Unique. It took a full grain more powder than the load for the 230 grain bullet, to get the gun to cycle reliably.
Old March 30, 2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

You have to remember that you need to follow guidelines of lead loading data with Berry's, not jacketed.

Old March 30, 2009, 11:25 PM   #5
troy_mclure

plated bullets should be loaded to cast levels.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 31, 2009, 01:53 AM   #6
DCXD45

xd probs

Love my xd .45 acp 4"
Havent had a problem and i use 230-260 gr i believe even having trouble finding my ejected rounds they fling out so far... had a few hit my hat but no worries. Try a new spring or clean the gun thouroughly or however it is spelled. could be working a little slow on the lube...
Old March 31, 2009, 05:44 AM   #7
outdoorlover127

Thanks for the replys
I got my data from the chart on my dies and from Hodgons site.
I am using the load for lead, and my OAL is 1.250
I have heard of some going to 6 Gr, I just didn't want to go past max.
What are some signs of high pressure?
Thanks again
Old March 31, 2009, 06:36 AM   #8
Cloudpeak

I would think with your powder charge that the XD should function better. I don't have experience with the XD in 45 but shot several thousand rounds of reduced load, lead SWC (Lee) rounds through a XD40SC and they functioned 100%.

I've shot charges as low as 4.0 grains of 231 with 200 gr LSWC through three 1911's and they functioned just fine. I'm surprised with the charges of 231 that you're using that they don't eject farther. I know they're different platforms but, generally, 1911's are more finicky than XD's from what I've read.

It sounds like you have two problems. The close distance of the ejecting cases may change after you have more rounds through a new gun. If they eject cleanly, I wouldn't be too concerned at this time.

The "jamming" is a different story. Can you describe exactly what's happening? If the case mouth bell isn't removed with the taper crimp die, this can lead to chambering problems. Do you drop your loaded rounds in your barrel (removed from pistol) to check for fit? They should easily drop in and out. If you load a SWC too long, the shoulder will jam into the "leade" or into the rifling and this will not allow the slide to return to battery. If you haven't taper crimped enough, you can have the same problem. I taper crimp to around .470" +/- .001.

If the bullet nose jams into the top of the chamber and the case head is under the extractor (3 point jam), it could be a COAL problem.

Cloudpeak
Old March 31, 2009, 06:48 AM   #9
rwilson452

How many rounds total have you fired in your XD? that is any kind of ammo not just your reloads.
Old March 31, 2009, 07:47 AM   #10
PDshooter

Are you using a taper crimp die ? I have a single stage press RCBS now for over 22yrs. Its a PITA to load 45ACP time wise! but the last step is with a lee taper crimp die...
Shoot Shovel Shut-up!
Old March 31, 2009, 05:07 PM   #11
outdoorlover127

Again, thanks for the help.
I have shot approx 300 rounds through this gun.
Maybe 100 Factory 230Gr and the rest reloads from a friend with
3 diff type of hollow point all loaded with TG, not sure of Factory charges.
The friends reloads will not eject far either but more than mine.

I have only cleaned the gun 1 time, but I have taken it apart last week and it doesn't look gunked up. But it does look dry, as in no oil.

I am using a Lee taper Crimp dye but I have not done a barrel check.
I don't think the crimp is the problem but I will check with barrel out.

The jamming occurs after the brass is ejected and the next round tries to chamber. The bullet is pointing up toward the ejection port about 45 degrees and the slide slams into the side of the casing.
It appears that the slide goes back far enough to eject but not enough to catch the next round properly.
Sorry for the long detail, and thanks again for the time
Old March 31, 2009, 08:16 PM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
What are some signs of high pressure?
1. Cases split where the wall meets the head. Basically the web area.
2. Excessive fouling in the barrel. Not a real common indicator, but still one to inspect.
3. Flattened primers
4. Accuracy drops off suddenly.

Even though this probably isn't the culprit, but I'd look into lowering your charge a smidge and shorten your OAL to about 1.230". Remember, the pressure curve really goes when you shorten the OAL. But it may help in the cycling. I'm beginning to wonder if it will alleviate the angle which the round is being introduced to the chamber by the slide...

I also recommend cleaning and lubing your gun before commencing further troubleshooting.

Quote:
Sorry for the long detail, and thanks again for the time
Don't be sorry. Details help greatly so we can try to give the best advice we can...

Old March 31, 2009, 11:05 PM   #13
Suicide*Ride

Welcome to the world of reloading!!

Hey outdoorlover127 - You said you were "new" to reloading so I was wondering:

Do you have any way to verify your charge weight?
ie - is it possible your powder charge is less than what you think it is?

When I got started reloading, I didn't realize the NIB RCBS scale I was using could be "off" (by 2.0 grains!), & had loaded hundreds of rounds before investing in calibration weights. Good thing it was "under" & not "over"!
I've also invested in a RCBS pistol powder hopper w/ every size rotor. A big expense/investment, but well worth it!

Do you use a micrometer?
I've never used "Berry's" bullets, but I have loaded some plated bullets in the past & found they were a little smaller diameter than they should've been.

It could be possible your bullets are undersize & not "sealing" like they should, causing a "weak" cycling action w/ your weapon.

A "Brand name" bullet maker like: Hornady, Speer, Nosler, etc., cost more per bullet, but I've found when reloading that you get what you pay for. The more expensive bullets don't wind up bigger or smaller than they should be. The "cheaper" bullets tend to be over or undersized & cause more problems than they're worth. :barf:

I hope I've not come across as a "know-it-all". I'm just another reloading brother hoping I can help!

BTW - If your XD cycles w/ factory loads, it isn't a problem w/ the weapon.
Old March 31, 2009, 11:09 PM   #14
rwilson452

At 300 rounds it might still need some break in. If it looks dry it is dry. Most 1911s like a lot of lube until they are really broke in. say 500-1000 rounds.

I would start with a good cleaning a generous lube.

I don't use a lot on my 1911 but it has over 4000 rounds down the tube. I had to replace the recoil spring at 2500 and should have done it sooner but I was only shooting light target loads with it. My XD still only has about 700 but I broke the recoil spring assy and had to replace it. not the guns fault my fault.
Old March 31, 2009, 11:17 PM   #15
teeroux

Quote:
BTW - If your XD cycles w/ factory loads, it isn't a problem w/ the weapon.
My xd-45 will not cycle with the 200gr lswc loads I use for my 1911.

To use them in my xd I have to charge them to max loading with 4.6gr. bullseye instead of the 4.0 grains in the 1911.
Old April 1, 2009, 01:21 AM   #16
Suicide*Ride

I must admit, I've only known 1 factory new weapon FTF right out of the box.

A long time ago, in a land far, far away.....

I worked @ a gun store & sold a close friend a Springfield Armory Ultra-Compact V-12 45ACP. He (Army vet of Desert Storm) complained to me that it wouldn't feed properly even using different types of factory fodder. After Springfield sent 2 new magazines, & the same issues occuring (FTF-FTE), I called their custom shop & Springfield's head gunsmith said that paticular weapon had been designed specificaly for the FBI & to only feed the V-12 Ultra-Compact Remington +P "Golden Sabre". After that, my friend used +P ammunition w/o a single problem & had me order a lighter mainspring from Springfield.

I don't know how heavy the OP's mainspring is, hence my "BTW" comment. I said (& meant) in my last post, that if his weapon doesn't have a problem w/ factory ammunition that the FTF & weak ejecting of his brass most likely isn't due to an issue w/ his weapon.
Old April 1, 2009, 01:36 AM   #17
teeroux

Well yes I see what you are saying I think that it is not so much a problem with the weapon just that the problem is the weapon itself needs max pressures to cycle a lightweight bullet. Its just what it seems like to me since I had a similar issue mabe someone else has had this problem with light loads for an XD?
Old April 3, 2009, 08:25 PM   #18
ForneyRider

I ran 5.8gr of W231 with 200gr RN Lee mould. Which is above max in the Lee book of 5.5gr W231.

Works with XD and 1911.

The Lee book has plated bullet loads, but for 200gr plated only #2, #5, #7 are listed.

5.8gr W231 was max load for jacketed 200gr, and 5.3gr with 230gr jacketed.

Hodgdon's site shows 5.6gr max load of W231 with 200gr LSWC, and 5.9gr with 200gr JHP.

W231 is a very fast powder and pressure will go up considerably on the top end, that's why I use Power Pistol for a +P type load.

Getting a Dillon case gage (or Wilson) may help.

For bullet seating depth, I copied factory loads for the JHP and FMJ. For the lead, I went with some dummy rounds that cycled.

Using powder droppers will yield variances .3gr and beyond. Although W231 is more consistent in powder droppers. I tend to have .1gr variance.

Last edited by ForneyRider; April 3, 2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: seating