The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 25, 2017, 08:44 PM   #26
SaxonPig

Pretty sure the Mini Mauser does not have CRF. Not a true Mauser 98 design despite the name.
Old September 25, 2017, 08:46 PM   #27
SaxonPig

BTW Nunya53, we are neighbors.
Old September 26, 2017, 05:26 PM   #28
Nunya53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonPig
BTW Nunya53, we are neighbors.
My info shows I'm in Sherwood. Maybe I have bumped into you? Where are you located? PM me if you don't want it out in the open.

Jerry
Old September 30, 2017, 07:36 AM   #29
fourbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobnpr
Why does it have to be controlled round feed?
Quote:
Because it is what I like and I've reached a point in my life where I buy/build what I want, not what I could (could't) afford.

I do not go into debt when I buy/build a rifle. I'm blessed and have made a couple of good choices in my life.

Thanks,

Jerry
The Zestava is not a mini mauser. CZ does make a mini mauser in the 527. As stated the 260 will not fit either. My 2c, is a rant against the Zestava. Let me say up front, I have seen some tempting full size 30-06 rifles by zestava for short money in real mauser style actions. Classic. Worth buying for the action alone. Some had nice wood if given a proper refinish.

Now the bitch. The Zastava Mini Mauser NOT A MAUSER. It is a FAKE. They have a FAKE extractor down the side of the action as a DUMMY COSMETIC copy of the Mauser action. I find this very offensive. It is tacky beyond reason and borderline dishonest. I just hate that action with a passion all out of proportion. Really/really bad/bad design. They could have done an nice clean honest mini-action without the fakery. Mini Remington, if you will. I might be all over that. Might be. This is not clever marketing, it was an intentional deception in design from day 1.
Old September 30, 2017, 09:20 PM   #30
SaxonPig

Yeah, I know. But I still like mine...both of them. The first one has shot a 1/2" group at 100 yards which for me is beyond fantastic. I'm not a great marksman.

Old October 1, 2017, 05:58 AM   #31
fourbore

Saxon,

I appreciate the accuracy report because I was tempted to get one of the full length guns. My only nit pick is that you please change the wording on your photos. It requires that someone has to post a correcting on the verbage "mini Mauser". I know Zestava uses those words. I do hate the word policing, I was pummeled when I posted using the phrase the "assault rifle". And nobody ever told me what these guns are supposed to be called. "Black rifle", "rambo rifle"? I took the punishment and never use the forbidden phrase again.

What to call this a "Mini action"? We used to have short, medium, long and magnum actions. But the word "short" means nothing today. Abused by companies like Remington.
Old October 1, 2017, 10:47 AM   #32
bobn

I have had two mini mausers. the 223 did not feed. the 222 did but the receiver did not fit the only available one piece luepold mount. bob
Old October 2, 2017, 08:13 AM   #33
Scorch

Quote:
It requires that someone has to post a correcting on the verbage "mini Mauser". I know Zestava uses those words.
You might as well get upset over the Chevrolet Corvette because it is not a ship, or any number of other products on the market.

Although it is not a Mauser CRF action, the name "Mini-Mauser" is the name the rifle was originally marketed under beginning in 1985. No, it is not a CRF style action, and I fell for the misleading name as well back in 1985 when I bought my first Interarms Mini-Mauser. But it shot so well that I just shrugged my shoulders and went on to buy two more of them over the past 30 years. Back when the Mini-Mauser was first introduced, Zastava was known primarily for making commercial Mauser 98 rifles imported under the Parker-Hale and Interarms labels. When they introduced their new small action, the name was more of a reference to their other product lines than a reference to the new rifle. The action is very similar to the old Sako actions (except for finish). Besides, Mauser itself makes rifles that are not CRF, and nobody seems to get upset about that.
Quote:
The Zestava is not a mini mauser. CZ does make a mini mauser in the 527
Then the CZ is not a miniature Mauser. It does not have a staggered box magazine, it has that atrocity sticking out under the stock.
Old October 3, 2017, 06:15 PM   #34
HiBC

When the Mini-Mauser was on the market,I recall seeing 22-250 as one of the catalogue offerings.I kept my eyes open for a available action.I never sawa 22-250rifle,action,or supplier who said "available" Then,IIRC,the Balkan wars dried them up.
Rem intro'd the 798 and 799 for a while. History.

I don't know anything about the Howa mini,but Brownells is selling bbl'd actions. 6.5 G is an option.

My wild imagination told me the 22-250 action would be ideal for the very short Remington Benchrest series brass. I wanted a 6.5 Benchrest.I would have length for long bullets
Old October 4, 2017, 10:07 AM   #35
Scorch

I agree. I opened up the bolt face on one of my Interarms Mini-Mausers and chambered it for 7BR for my youngest son.
Old October 7, 2017, 05:44 PM   #36
Gunny K

I rechambered one for the 7.62x45 Czech with only a few mods but that cartridge is only 6mm longer and has the same head size. I did have to modify the mag and feed ramp only a little to accommodate the little extra length. This is pushing it. Also the rifle only weighs 5-1/2 pounds and with the little more power has surprisingly a high recoil. I since have built a new rifle for the cartridge out of a 93 Mauser which added 2# to the rifle and I also lengthened the barrel by 3.5" This reduces the recoil significantly. The 22-250 loaded length is shorter than the 7.62x45 so that would fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1305.JPG (224.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1308.JPG (223.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1310.JPG (226.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Gunny K; October 7, 2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old October 7, 2017, 07:28 PM   #37
HiBC

Nice!
I have no clue about a long term reliable source of brass for the 7.62x45,
but a "6.5 Grendel Long " sounds interesting.
Wonder how that would fling 120 gr Nosler BT's.
Old October 7, 2017, 08:08 PM   #38
Gunny K

I make my own brass from Carcano brass. It is readily available quite cheep from PPU. I bought some on sale about two years ago. About 500 pieces. I'm set for quite a while. I can reload it about 7-8 times.