The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 27, 2017, 12:55 PM   #1
Minorcan

Is old CCW Permit Still Valid When Moving to Another State?

I live in Florida and have a current CCWP. I plan on moving to Georgia and plan on getting a CCWP there. Once I move and change my residence to Georgia will my CCWP for Florida still be in force or no longer any good? Does having a Florida CCWP help in getting the Georgia CCWP?
Old January 27, 2017, 01:58 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

www.handgunlaw.us indicates that Georgia recognizes non-resident permits from Florida.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf

I wasn't able to determine whether or not your Florida resident permit automatically converts to non-resident when you change residence, or if there's some administrative action you have to take to make that happen. Florida does not appear to require a permit from your home state as a prerequisite to obtaining a FL permit, so it may be as simple as notifying the state of Florida that your address has changed.
Old January 27, 2017, 03:47 PM   #3
Minorcan

Thanks Blanca, that's the question. I reviewed the FL and GA sites but neither is specific. The FL site doesn't say if the CCWP is invalid after the move or if it stays in force. I called and got conflicting information. The same with GA. They said they didn't know about FL but I could always get a GA permit but they didn't know if that would invalidate my FL permit. Well, we are talking about rules and laws created by the government ....
Old January 27, 2017, 05:28 PM   #4
carguychris

If your quest fails to turn up any definitive answers, and you're seriously concerned about going without a permit for some time after you move, I suggest looking into obtaining a non-resident permit from a third state with reciprocity in both GA and FL.

The obvious downside is that you'll be paying a fee and jumping through other hoops for a permit you probably won't need for more than a couple of months.
Old January 27, 2017, 06:02 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Are you moving to establish residency and stay? Will you get a Georgia drivers license? Then you must get a Georgia CCW, they will not honor your old Florida permit once you have moved to Georgia.

From handgunlaw.us that you seem to have overlooked:
"(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state."

"Time Period to Establish Residency: None mentioned in Law. Upon obtaining Drivers License/ID."
Old January 27, 2017, 07:30 PM   #6
ShootistPRS

Typically when you move you are supposed to notify the permitting agency of your new address. When you move out of state you may or may not have to apply for a non-resident permit.

That is assuming that you notify them of your move.
Old January 27, 2017, 07:38 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Not definitive, but I have a Florida permit as a non-resident. There is no address on it, and it doesn't say "Non-Resident" anywhere on the face or on the back. So I suspect it is the same exact permit that you have as a resident. If that's the case, since no "home state" permit seems to be required in order to have the FL permit as a non-resident, I'm going to guess that all you have to do is notify Florida when your address changes.

But ... IANAL, so verification from an authhoritative source would be good if possible.
Old January 27, 2017, 10:53 PM   #8
rickyrick

I changed the address in my TX CHL and they sent me a new one with
My new address on it.
Now it's up for renewal I'll need to see what's required now.
Old January 27, 2017, 11:03 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson
From handgunlaw.us that you seem to have overlooked:

"(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state."
Good catch, Hawkeye. That seems clear enough.