The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 18, 2016, 08:21 PM   #1
Shadow72

Houston's Loss is Austin's Gain

Houston Texas has a new police chief, Art Acevedo, formerly Austin, Texas police chief. Chief Acevedo has, in the past, spoken out against conceled carry, open carry and campus carry laws when the Texas Legs was in session. I assume that Chief Acevedo will continue with his anti-gun policy along with Houston's Sanctuary City policy. I do not recall Houston previously having a openly anti gun police chief, but I could be wrong. What I do think will be interesting is if the Federal Government, with the new administration coming in 2017, decides to enforce federal law against Sanctuary Cities. Could be interesting, given that Houston has a cash flow problem from it's previous Progressive administration.
Old November 18, 2016, 09:53 PM   #2
Longhorn1986

And things like this are why I live 35 miles out of Houston and Harris County. Houston is my hometown, but the less I see of it anymore, the better I like it.
Old November 21, 2016, 09:26 AM   #3
csmsss

Acevedo is one of the most thoroughly politicized and contemptible police chiefs this country is cursed with, and is, quite frankly, an embarassment to our great state.
Old November 21, 2016, 12:00 PM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

While I agree with the sentiment, we need to discuss the actual impact he may or may not have on firearms issues in Houston. Or whether the climate in Austin would change.
Old November 23, 2016, 01:03 AM   #5
jdc1244

Quote:
I assume that Chief Acevedo will continue with his anti-gun policy along with Houston's Sanctuary City policy.
Which will have no bearing whatsoever concerning gun owners in Houston.

Acevedo is subject to state laws, the state constitution, and the Federal
Constitution, his opinions regarding current Second Amendment jurisprudence are subjective and irrelevant.

And if Acevedo acts to regulate firearms contrary to that jurisprudence, those adversely affected are at liberty to seek relief in state or Federal court.

Last, whether Huston elects to use the city’s resourced to enforce Federal immigration laws or not is likely not up to Acevedo alone.
Old November 23, 2016, 06:50 AM   #6
Texas45

I know all the officers I know from Austin including my BIL are glad to see this guy go.
Not surprised he went to Houston he should fit right in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 23, 2016, 10:15 AM   #7
TXAZ

I'll strongly disagree with jdc1244.

I lived in Austin and worked for the state police during 'the Artist's' rein. He is quite good at telling enough of the truth to get many to believe he's an honorable guy and making progress.

But to your question, police chiefs are usually given pretty broad latitude, however your statement:

"Acevedo is subject to state laws, the state constitution, and the Federal
Constitution, his opinions regarding current Second Amendment jurisprudence are subjective and irrelevant"

is very wrong.

Chief Acevedo showed he plays fast and loose with people and policies he does not agree with. Even though Austin has "police watchers", he became adept at minimizing their impacts and influence. But the biggest con, I'll call it outright fraud and abuse of all Austin-ites, was his dealing with Austin's unacceptable 911 call for service times.

How did he "improve" the times? I'm glad you asked such a relevant question. It was very easy, he changed the definition of time. By making small changes in when the clock started and stopped, he was able to trim the service times significantly. NO real change in reality, and only a few people knew the system well enough to call him on it, but he prevailed claiming those naysayers didn't know what they were talking about and didn't understand how (his) police operate. (But they did.)

Austin's city council supported him because of his stand on sanctuary status, guns and several other policies dear to those on the far left.

In summary, Houston loss will be Austin's gain, as the policies that change / become enforced in Austin will be blamed on the new President's policies that Acevado and others who don't believe in the uniform enforcement of existing laws hate.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes