The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 18, 2013, 06:41 PM   #26
wpsdlrg

Well then, sorry for the tone of my last post. I was not trying to insult you, but I was a bit frustrated, I admit.

The point of the whole thing is, you can either find ammo that will work reliably in your P250....and stick with it. Or, you can take up hand loading, so that you can tailor the cartridges to fit the pistol. Or, you can get something else. It's as simple as that. As long as the pistol is functioning within specs, Sig can't make it feed ammo well that it won't otherwise feed.

The basic design of the P250 in no way portends feeding problems. The dimensions of the breech area, the angle and design of the feed ramp, the design of the magazine (and angle of the mag lips), are all comparable to other pistols of the same size class and caliber. Further, there is no evidence that Sig has made mistakes in such aspects as the magazine spring rate, which could certainly affect feeding. So, to be able to diagnose the exact issue with your P250 is basically impossible without personally working with the gun. So, I have put it down to the same reason as caused this in MY P250 - a relatively short, tight chamber.

This aspect was a compromise, on Sig's part. A short, tight chamber will help with accuracy and brass life, but, can have adverse effects on feeding, especially with certain bullet shapes and COL (Cartridge Overall Length). As I alluded to before, that is the "secret" behind the feeding reliability of Glock pistols. Glocks have a loose chamber and an undercut on the bottom, which allows a bit flatter angle for the feed ramp. Put another way, a "sloppy" chamber. A sloppy chamber will always feed different bullet types and COLs more easily. It is as simple as that.

As for what to do now, I can only suggest a few things. One, fully load your magazines and keep them fully loaded, for at least a month. That MIGHT help to "settle in" the mag springs a bit. Two, find whatever ammo that your P250 does feed well....and try to stick with ammo with a similar bullet shape and COL length. Third, you might take a look at the chamber and feed ramp area of your barrel. If there are any burrs, these could be dressed with a fine file, or a bit of fine sandpaper. I doubt that you'll find any, though, as Sig barrels are normally VERY well finished. Fourth, shoot the gun - a lot. There is NO factory recommended break-in period for Sigs, but some further break-in might help. It couldn't hurt.
Old August 18, 2013, 08:08 PM   #27
Chowder

One more question I just thought of. I wan't to remove myself from the equation as much as possible. What kind of lube did you use on your 250 wpsdlrg? I used Rem oil on the slide rails, I don't think I used too much but if anyone as I read the manual and it said don't over lube. Its a simple thing but I have known myself to screw up simple things in the past haha.
Old August 18, 2013, 10:23 PM   #28
wpsdlrg

Lube on the rails wouldn't cause the problem with the pistol, at least, not except under extraordinary circumstances (a really thick grease + very cold temps, for instance).

As to what I used (and still use on my other pistols even now)....I use a light, high temp automotive grease. I've found that a thin oil simply won't stay on things like guide rails. I do use a regular thin gun oil on internal parts, but I use the grease on guide rails, barrel lugs, places on the frame which might be subject to lots of wear, etc.

As for the P250, I used the grease on only the guide rails and a very thin coat on the outer barrel (simply to reduce friction and protect the finish on the barrel).....and gun oil everywhere else.
Old August 18, 2013, 10:57 PM   #29
jimbob86

Sigs would be exactly like potato chips for me ....... if the chips in question were $800 a bag and 29 of the 31 available flavors were such dandies like "Boiled Chunked Potato" or "Hammered Spuds with Dillweed" ......

I am quite sure I could eat just one. If I had to eat and there was nothing else. And you gave me 800 dollars.

I do like the 938 ..... might drop that 800 on that, eventually.
Old August 18, 2013, 11:48 PM   #30

Sigs are Potato chips. Vastly overpriced for what you get. YMMV
Old August 19, 2013, 12:00 AM   #31
Chowder

Quote:
Sigs are Potato chips. Vastly overpriced for what you get. YMMV
Never bought a chip that I thought was overpriced lol. I got my P228 for 575... It is much more gun that I was expecting.
Old August 19, 2013, 05:51 AM   #32
Garycw

Sig's are like potato chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86 View Post
Sigs would be exactly like potato chips for me ....... if the chips in question were $800 a bag and 29 of the 31 available flavors were such dandies like "Boiled Chunked Potato" or "Hammered Spuds with Dillweed" ......

I am quite sure I could eat just one. If I had to eat and there was nothing else. And you gave me 800 dollars.

I do like the 938 ..... might drop that 800 on that, eventually.
Bet ya can't get just one!
I recently spent $1000 on a sig and has many more features than comparable Kimber.
Old August 20, 2013, 03:50 PM   #33
henry1960

Quote:
Bet ya can't get just one!
I recently spent $1000 on a sig and has many more features than comparable Kimber.
Just Sold one of my Kimbers CDP II And picked up a P220 Compact. Worth every penny and personally think its better then the Kimber..But Kimber is still a great Gun..
Old August 20, 2013, 07:17 PM   #34
texgunner

Yep! I have six of them. SIG's also last longer than a bag of chips.
Old August 20, 2013, 08:29 PM   #35
Vermonter

Like potato chips eh?

If by like potato chips you mean they crumble when compared to Glocks I would have to agree
Old August 21, 2013, 01:38 AM   #36
Chowder

Quote:
If by like potato chips you mean they crumble when compared to Glocks I would have to agree
Hey now, I so like Glocks as a combat sidearm but saying a Sig will crumble is a bit of a stretch lol.
Old August 21, 2013, 04:07 AM   #37
thedudeabides

I've sold all of my Sigs except my P220, have kept that one because it's a range gun.

Can't really rely on something that has a thin trigger return spring that looks more at home in a hair clip than a gun.

Once you've experienced your trigger return spring breaking and turning your "to hell and back" Sig into a very expensive brick, you wonder how they manage to sell so many of these things.

Also, if your new P250 fails to return to battery one round out of 20, it's not the ammo. It's someone too cheap/lazy at the Sig plant to make sure that the chamber is being reamed to spec. The gun isn't supposed to have a "match grade barrel" and the fact that it can't feed anything without choking on it is a testament to Sig's rapidly declining quality. You can shoot it more and waste good ammo, change the lube, change the ammo, but it won't fix anything. Your gun was made bad, it's "kkkrrap" as Mike Myers used to say. I had a Scorpion 1911 go back to Sig twice for this same problem.

Does anyone really believe that this kind of garbage would fly back when they were making the P6 in W. Germany?

Sig needs to revamp its quality standards instead of making 200 expensive variants of the same gun and chasing the plastic market.

Last edited by thedudeabides; August 21, 2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old August 21, 2013, 05:50 AM   #38
Herr Walther

While I don't know anything about the P250
s problems, I agree about keeping things simple.

10 or 15 versions of a P220 or P226? Really?

I wonder what their flavor of the month is this month?

SIG-Sauer had always been a top of the line firearm when they were entirely made in Germany. Now I'm not so certain. Seems to me all they've done by manufacturing it here is cheapening the brand and its reputation.

My 02 Pfennigs.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old August 21, 2013, 05:44 PM   #39
Garycw

I couldn't disagree more with post #35 and most of #37. I've not experienced any problems with any Sig's and will continue to grow my collection of them. There's exceptions of quality and unforeseen problems with anything. Whether its guns, electronics or cars. If I happened to be unfortunate enough to get one of those exceptions, I wouldn't call all of them krap. Glocks have Never been on my want list,but if I ever had one with problems, I wouldn't necessarily call them all junk either. ...just ugly
Old August 21, 2013, 06:05 PM   #40
10mm4ever

The original w. german SIGS were excellent. The overpriced, pimped out Cohen SIGS are nothing more than a reflection of what it takes to appeal to the typical american consumer. Some of the Cohen models should include a 'grill' as part of the package.
Old August 21, 2013, 06:12 PM   #41
wpsdlrg

Well, the "dudeabides" is a well-known P250 hater....as well as a hater of most (or all things) Sig Sauer, since what's his name took over as President or CEO, or whatever. So, most of what he says on this subject can probably be discounted as negative propaganda. Frankly, I've heard it all before from him.....and wasn't impressed.

"Haters gonna hate"..... after all.

If anyone wants to get back to the subject at hand, i.e., helping the OP work out the issues with his P250.....I'm guessing that he might appreciate it. I've done all I can, without actually handling the pistol, but perhaps someone else has a useful, or positive idea ?
Old August 21, 2013, 07:12 PM   #42
Garycw

Not that I would think a new Sig would need it, but polishing the rails and slide with some Flitz or a felt wheel in dremel with polishing compound may help? I like to polish the feed ramp to a mirror finish too. The key word being "polish" not grind, sand or remove material. A very little gun grease on the rails helps too. Also is it the last round that failed to feed properly? Or random.
With the tight tolorences, a little polishing should solve it IMO.
Old August 21, 2013, 07:51 PM   #43
kcub

less salty but just as hard to wash down
Old August 21, 2013, 08:08 PM   #44
Chowder

Thanks for your help everyone. I went to the range again this morning with some PMC 230g FMJ and was still having issues. I considered polishing the feed ramp but I decided to call SIG first. So tomorrow it is being sent back to them. I do like the firearm and don't want to mess anything up so I will let the people who built it take a look. Sig makes great firearms and they were pleasant to deal with so I am sure they will be able to take care of it. I will keep everyone updated.
Old August 22, 2013, 03:49 AM   #45
thedudeabides

I'm sorry, but what people are saying is that the P250's tolerances are so awesome and tight that it can't work out of the box? A service pistol designed for Police use needs all sorts of gunsmithing and polishing? Can't wait to see how that goes when you give them to police officers "Hey, guys, your guns are made so well, they may malfunction on you... um, so can you take them to the range and run 1000 rounds through them first and try to polish them with this dremel tool? Oh, and here's a set of calipers so you can measure the length of each cartridge before you load it, because your gun is so awesome, it may not work with some that are out of its very specific tolerances."

Every. Gun. Needs. To. Work. Out. Of. The. Box.

I know the Glock owners drink some serious Kool-Aid, but it's really posts like these that are damaging to gun owners.

If your new gun doesn't work, don't try to go through the denial phases of whether it's lube, or ammo, or how you're holding it. It came from the factory bad, because someone was asleep at the switch, and needs to be worked on. Sure you can do a jethro job on it yourself with a dremel, void the warranty, but I think you should hold the manufacturer to task and make them get it right.

Last edited by thedudeabides; August 22, 2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old August 22, 2013, 06:53 AM   #46
DasGuy

Quote:
So tomorrow it is being sent back to them. I do like the firearm and don't want to mess anything up so I will let the people who built it take a look. Sig makes great firearms and they were pleasant to deal with so I am sure they will be able to take care of it. I will keep everyone updated.
You made the right choice, IMO.
Old August 22, 2013, 11:37 AM   #47
Robk

They are like real expensive potato chips for sure. But I do love them so much. Here's an older family photo:

P220,P226,P229,P6,P232 not in any particular order. Have sine changed to a stainless steel P220 and thinking about a P220 MAtch Elite or P227 next. Have the money for one or the other already. Just have to find them first.
Old August 22, 2013, 06:07 PM   #48
ccwnut

Glad to hear that the OP will be able to get his gun fixed. I'm only 3 paychecks away from joining "The Sig Bunch" myself! I've found love at first sight with the P250 2sum kit in 9mm! Two guns for the price of one!
Old August 22, 2013, 07:04 PM   #49
Chowder

If have to say I had advice on both ends of the Sig love/hate spectrum lol. But thank you everyone who gave advice as I did take it into concideration. The main thing that made me send it back to sig was that this is not a cheap gun to keep taking to the range just to tweak it enough to be happy. I don't like spending $80 dollars for an hour of frustration. I am the type that like to fix things myself this was a .22 I would let it chug ammo until I figured it out myself lol.

A lot has been said about the chamber being the issue, which I also think it is. I believe the truth is right in the middle of everyone opinions. I like that This Sig has a tighter chamber than some other so called sloppy guns and I don't mind if I find my firearms don't like brand X for what ever the reason but runs with most others. But in this case brand everything was the issue so its time to let Sig stand buy the product they produce, and I am sure they will. I don't want them to Ream my gun to be sloppy but after talking to everyone here I would put money down that I will be getting a new barrel and possible slide off the line. All we have to do now though is wait haha.
Old August 22, 2013, 07:05 PM   #50
Chowder

RobK... delicious line up but you forgot the dip haha.