The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 24, 2017, 11:42 AM   #1
baddarryl

My Super Blackhawk 44mag

Hi all. Long story short: I bought and gave this to my father for his birthday about 25 years ago. He passed away a little over 2 years ago. His widow soiled on me and ceased all communication including banning me from his property and keeping his things. At the time of his death I was smart enough to remove his other firearms, but she indicated she wanted to keep it for now as it made her feel safe. I was trying to amicable in a difficult situation so I didn't push. Of all of my fathers possessions this was the one thing I wanted back. Well in the end it looks like she did the right thing. This week she sent me 95% of his stuff in a truck with no clue what was in it. I even asked my step brother (I guess) if the gun was in the load and he said he didn't think so as she didn't say anything about weapons. Well here it is! All week long I have been putting up his paintings and other keepsakes. It has been a very good healing thing for me that has me feeling closer to him. Needless to say this has been a tormenting situation to me. I just needed to share that!

Old April 24, 2017, 11:58 AM   #2
ZEBRARANGER

I'm glad to hear that you got your Dads possessions back, I can understand how it would be a healing thing.
Last September my Dad passed away, a few years before, he gave me this S&W 3rd model Double Action made in 1886. Prior to that, it was his Dads. So like your revolver, this revolver has special meaning to me. It always reminds me of a very funny incident that happened between us involving this gun.
Old April 24, 2017, 12:17 PM   #3
baddarryl

Now THAT is cool!
Old April 24, 2017, 12:47 PM   #4
dahermit

A "Super" Blackhawk with a fluted cylinder? I thought that Super Blackhawks had unfluted cylinders...at least mine did.
Old April 24, 2017, 01:32 PM   #5
baddarryl

This is a "New Model" so that may be the difference. It is original. I do know that much. I think only 5.5" barrel and early Bisley's were fluted.
Old April 24, 2017, 02:28 PM   #6
Bob Wright

Dahermit said:

Quote:
A "Super" Blackhawk with a fluted cylinder? I thought that Super Blackhawks had unfluted cylinders...at least mine did.
The New Model Super Blackhawk is offered with 4 5/8", 5 1/2", and 7 1/2" barrel lengths, plus the Hunter and other specials have 10" barrels. The only thing common to all barrel lengths is the wide hammer spur. The short barrel models have the XR-3RED grip frame, while the 5 1/2" gun also has the fluted cylinder. At least that's the way it is on Tuesdays.

Bob Wright
Old April 24, 2017, 04:17 PM   #7
damienph

Baddarryl, glad you finally got your SBH back.

Also glad that your Dad's wife has come around and let you have some of his possessions that he probably wanted to have gone to you originally.

I have two Supers, a blue 7 1/2" and a stainless 4 5/8"; both have unfluted cylinders.
Old April 24, 2017, 06:43 PM   #8
baddarryl

Quote:
Baddarryl, glad you finally got your SBH back.

Also glad that your Dad's wife has come around and let you have some of his possessions that he probably wanted to have gone to you originally.

I have two Supers, a blue 7 1/2" and a stainless 4 5/8"; both have unfluted cylinders.
Thanks man. Yes it feels really good!
Old April 25, 2017, 07:56 PM   #9
Armybrat

What Damien said, except my 2015 Super Blackhawk with the 5.5" barrel has the fluted cylinder:

Old April 25, 2017, 08:30 PM   #10
rock185

baddarryl, as you undoubtedly already realize, you are very fortunate to have had your Dad's revolver returned to you. It has been my observation that when someone passes away, one of the first things grabbed by relatives, both close and those with access that you may not have even known you had, besides cash and jewelry, is firearms. Even though some of the family "mourners" may not have the slightest interest in firearms, there is always a pawn shop nearby. Good for you sir.
Old April 25, 2017, 08:36 PM   #11
THEWELSHM

Congratulations mate gun is where it should be ..... split families can suck... I know I lived it.

Thewelshm
Old April 26, 2017, 01:40 PM   #12
Rothdel

I have several guns passed down through my family so can certainly imagine what it would feel like to lose them.

My father and I spent more than a few mornings at the range together and knowing that some day his firearms will pass to me is for some reason comforting although I hope that is many years in the future.

Its funny though of all the guns my father has the two I'm the most attached to are an old pump action 22 and an old Sears branded shotgun that cant have even 1% finish left. They are the guns he learned to shoot with and the ones I learned to shoot with. Almost every time we go shooting together the little 22 comes with although we rarely actually fire it. Just seems wrong to take a range trip with out it tagging a long. It has almost turned into a good luck charm.
Old April 26, 2017, 08:17 PM   #13
disseminator

Glad you got your Dad's stuff.

Old April 26, 2017, 10:57 PM   #14
bamaranger

cherished

Some (maybe most) of my cherished possesions are my Dad's (and Grandad's) guns. I'm glad this worked out for you.
Old April 27, 2017, 08:31 PM   #15
baddarryl

Quote:
Its funny though of all the guns my father has the two I'm the most attached to are an old pump action 22 and an old Sears branded shotgun that cant have even 1% finish left
That is true for me as well. I have his Sears Model 5 .22 lever action and a Ted Williams 12ga pump. Both are fine guns and what I learned on. Taught my kids on that .22 too. Shoots a little high and to the left, but hey, will still hit a beer can at 50 yards! Both are from the 60's and neither has never malfunctioned. The Ted Williams is so slick the action drop with the push of the release. No force needed.
Old April 28, 2017, 09:15 PM   #16
75218ron

Quote:
baddarryl, as you undoubtedly already realize, you are very fortunate to have had your Dad's revolver returned to you. It has been my observation that when someone passes away, one of the first things grabbed by relatives, both close and those with access that you may not have even known you had, besides cash and jewelry, is firearms. Even though some of the family "mourners" may not have the slightest interest in firearms, there is always a pawn shop nearby. Good for you sir.
Old April 28, 2017, 10:02 PM   #17
shootniron

Glad she finally did the right thing.

Enjoy!
Old April 28, 2017, 10:31 PM   #18
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

This Three Screw, Flat Top 44 Mag Blackhawk from 1958 has a fluted cylinder.

One of my most prized possessions is this little Winchester Model '06 gallery rifle that my Dad gave me when I was about 15. His Dad bought it for him in Abercrombie and Fitch in Manhattan in the late 1930s.

I also have Dad's 12 gauge Browning Double Auto shotgun, but do not seem to have a photo of it.