The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 22, 1999, 12:02 AM   #1
Ned Roundtree

Okay, got a takedown 97 Winchester. Mngfd about 1927. Just cut the barrel from 30" to 20" and new bead. The receiver, barrel and mag tube are obviously all pieced together. None matching to original.The stock looks original with some fine hairline stress fractures. But no telling how old those stress lines are. Other than being three different ages pieced together it looks "rustic". Do I get new stocks and get it all reblued. Or just leave it alone and go for the RUSTIC look? Rustic, new? New, Rustic?
Old December 22, 1999, 09:26 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Personally I go for the beat-up..errr..rustic look myself.
I'll have to remember that...rustic. I like it.
Old December 22, 1999, 10:58 AM   #3
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy,

I would go with the rustic look,since guns used in CAS get pretty beat up anyway.

Bellicose Bill
Old December 22, 1999, 08:08 PM   #4
Trigger Jerk

Reblue and go for new!

Here's my thoughts...In CAS we are playing like it was 100 years ago, right. If you think about it, 100 years ago, those guns would likely look new.

In my experience, it seems that the shotgun takes the most beating of the three. I happen to have a refinished 97 and one a little more "rustic". I often decide which one to use based on how I have to stage it or restage it ofter use. ...I usually use the beater. I also have a double Stoeger in 20 gauge that I get a kick out of shooting once in a while.
Old December 23, 1999, 06:38 AM   #5
Ned Roundtree

Now you see my predicament. Rustic looks good, all beat up and all. But I was at a cowboy match in Ohio once. There were at least four 97 Winchesters there. Each one had been overhauled, restocked, and reblued. Man did they look nice. Plus, even if you do that, after two years of shooting on the cowboy circuit it is going to have some nicks, scratches and usage marks identifying as a beloved shooter. Well, its the off season and I still can't decide what to do.
Old December 26, 1999, 05:16 PM   #6
Bullmoose

You will spend a lot more refinshing it than you did buying it. If that is just extra pocket change to you, then go for it. I would suggest you consider how you will feel when you start scratching up a real pretty, like new 97. My new Marlin II and Stoeger Coachgun are both looking used after only 6 or so matches. I don't sweat it as that what they are for, but I won't be paying for bluing and stocks, etc when they get some real character and are rustic (BG). BullMoose
Old December 27, 1999, 08:42 AM   #7
Ned Roundtree

Yeah I know. My Marlin Cowboy II is getting that truly rustic look. After about 28 matches now, some in 98 degree weather, slight scratches,dents and the wood turning a beautiful reddish color. I'm so new to cowboy, I am still counting my matches.