The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 26, 2017, 09:40 AM   #76
random guy

I've never seen a Judge outside of a gunshop, much less fired one. It seems as though there are a lot of misconceptions about its capabilities but there are ways that it can be useful.

As a snake/close range varmint gun, it is passable but would be better with a slow twist barrel. 1 in 12" is actually pretty fast and I don't see much justification. You aren't going to turn it into a really good .45 Colt so why ruin its shot pattern?

In "close in" self-defense mode, .45 Colt rounds would be somewhat effective even at their reduced velocity but the Judge's real forte would be with large diameter balls. These don't seem to scatter as badly as smaller buck and birdshot. 3 or 4 of them in the torso with each trigger pull must have some effect.

Not something that I have to have but I certainly wouldn't feel nekkid with it in my hand.

It would be interesting to create one of these for .45/70 cases loaded with multiple projectiles of full bore diameter. If it had a .458 bore and could fire Trapdoor rounds as well that would simplify the ammo situation (and appeal to somebody I'm sure) but would lead to people blowing the gun up with hot loads. Maybe better to create a completely new multi-bullet round.
Old March 26, 2017, 11:30 AM   #77
Cheapshooter

Quote:
As a snake/close range varmint gun, it is passable but would be better with a slow twist barrel.
As a means to dispatch a venomous snake when absolutely necessary, and at such a distance as would offer no option to let it move on, the pattern with #7 1/2 shot out of the 2 1/2" barrel of my PD Poly is completely dense enough. 10' or less, otherwise if not in a yard, or place where it might be a threat to children, it can slither on it's own way.
Maybe the faster twist of your theory has creedence with a longer tube, but it has not proven to be the case with a 2 1/2" barrel.
As for accuracy with 45 Colt, my short barreled Judge does as good as I can, and as good as any other snubbie I have shot. Actually, better than some with holding a 2 1/2-3", 5 shot group, off hand @ 10 yards. Perfect center mass hits as well.
With Federal Handgun 410 000 buckshot loads the "pattern" @ 10 yards looks very similar to the "group" shot with 45 Colt.
Now, to my thinking why my PD Poly is kept alongside the seat of my truck as car jacker defense. The first three rounds up are the Federal 000 buck. Ballistic gel tests have shown this round drives four .355 diameter projectiles to, and past the 12" FBI standard. With one pull of the trigger that is four chances of hitting the spine resulting in an instant stop. Two more rounds tor a total of 12 9MM/380 holes.
One interesting test I would like to see, but haven't found would be pattern with 000 buck at very close range. I'll just have to do that one my self, easy enough next range trip. Thinking car jacker at my door distance of two or three feet. My thinking is that the shot will stay very close together at that distance. Say an inch, maybe a bit more, or less. That would be one massive wound, and I don't care how high, or pumped up an assailant is, that's going to stop him!
Now, for the final two rounds. Backup in case there is another threat at a longer distance.
The PD Poly is not my EDC, nor what I consider my main SD handgun. Just a specific firearm for a specific purpose in SD that doubles as snake insurance in the berry patch. With the bonus of being lots of fun to blow stuff up with!
But that's just me. An inexperienced 70 year old that has shot almost his entire life. But has never written a book, hosted a TV show, or trained Mall Ninjas.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 26, 2017, 04:00 PM   #78
random guy

Quote:
As a means to dispatch a venomous snake when absolutely necessary, and at such a distance as would offer no option to let it move on, the pattern with #7 1/2 shot out of the 2 1/2" barrel of my PD Poly is completely dense enough. 10' or less...
Yeah, about what I had gathered from reviews and Hickok45. But it could be so much better if the fast twist barrel did not fling the pattern open. It really should have more than 10' of usable range. 44 mags work great with 1/20" twist and even 1/38". I don't see why the Judge would not do the same.

You seem to recognize the Judge's limitations though and exploit its strengths. That's why it works for you.
Old March 26, 2017, 06:56 PM   #79
jimbob86

I'm no expert, but I surmise that the Judge was given a fast twiist to stabilize the relatively long, low muzzle velocity 45 LC rounds out there..... it's the only the gun does..... if not well, then at par..... if you don't count huge size and low capacity.....
Old March 27, 2017, 04:57 PM   #80
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
First trip to the range we shot clays to start, and just had to try it with his new toy. Clays with a hand gun, sounded challenging and way fun...
It's not just that it's a handgun. For comparison purposes, how often do you shoot clays with a .410? That can increase the challenge from full-length shotguns.

Sorry to hear that S&W biffed it here. I hear that from people more than I'd expect.

As per philosophy of use, I think these would be fun for plinking, blasting jugs, etc. They could certainly be used for pest control. They could be stellar in some self-defense situations too. I think people look at them the wrong way. Forget the .45 Colt. Load them up with heavy buck. At close range, the results of one trigger pull should be in the same ball-park as the fastest three or four shot burst possible in a .32acp pocket gun. It's a different concept than the traditional single-projectile pistol, which is a far better option for single projectiles like .45 acp or .45 Colt.
Old March 27, 2017, 06:10 PM   #81
tallball

I have one. It is fun to blow stuff up with. Like the other poster said, it is reasonably accurate for a 45 caliber snubby. Admittedly, it is also large and awkward for a snubby. Mine is the version that shoots 3" magnum shells. IIRC, they hold six 32 caliber pellets. I prefer my 4" 357 for SD. However, at close range, say "across the room" distance, my opinion after shooting it a fair amount, is that it would be effective. Shooting 30 32 caliber pellets at someone within a few seconds would probably ruin their day.
Old April 21, 2017, 05:46 PM   #82
turkeestalker

Not that it really pertains to, but update on the kid and his Governor.
Smith & Wesson sent him a brand new revolver and he's a happy camper.
Old April 23, 2017, 01:06 PM   #83
XDforever

That's great news that S&W took great care of him!!

Joe
Old May 18, 2017, 08:57 AM   #84
Paladin7

I haven't shot the Judge, but have shot the S&W Governor extensively. I found that executing a speed reload with 410 shells to be cumbersome at best and very slow. So, I would recommend 45 ACP or LC as the defensive round of choice in this handgun. It was much easier to eject those cases and reload, esp with the 45 ACP Moon Clips.

Also, I'm not a fan of the 410 defensive loads... I just don't see how they would outperform a 45 LC or ACP. The ballistics just aren't there. It would be good to research this vs taking my word.
Old May 25, 2017, 09:08 PM   #85
Apple a Day

Back on topic, if I was carrying a judge I would load with
a)ammo SPECIFICALLY powder-loaded for a short barrel and
b) the heaviest projectiles for max penetration
Yes, I have shot and tested one
Maybe this will be helpful:
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph.../#post-7663869