The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 8, 2007, 03:34 PM   #1
Unregistered

What do you think of this 7.62x51 service rifle load?

I am working up loads to use in an M1A and FAL.

What do you think of this load:

Hornday 150g FMJ BT
Winchester 748, 43.0 grains
OAL 2.735"
Winchester Large rifle primer

Would that be a good load to run though the M1A and FAL?

I would also like to use the same load of powder but with the Hornady 150g Interlock SST Bullet for whitetail deer in a Tikka T3. How will that load work for that?
Old December 8, 2007, 05:39 PM   #2
crowbeaner

You didn't specify what brass you are using, but I've loaded WW brass and 150s with 46.5 of WW 748. The book says max. is 48.5, but I haven't been able to get that charge to fit in my brass. 46.5 is just fine in my old 742 in .308. If you're using milsurp 45.0 might be about all I'd use unless you uniform the flash holes and primer pockets. Let your rifle be the judge. CB.
Old December 8, 2007, 06:47 PM   #3
Unregistered

I will be using R-P commercial brass for the rounds I load for deer hunting, and Lake City Brass for the M1A and FAL.

But I should be OK with either if I am only using 43.0g of W748, right?
Old December 8, 2007, 06:56 PM   #4
crowbeaner

You should be fine. Remember that the semis have to have enough gas pressure to reliably cycle the action, or FTEs and FTFs might happen. I'd work up until I saw signs of extraction problems, and back the charge down 1 full grain. The RP brass is quite strong although WW has more capacity. The LC will have the least capacity thereby necessitating reduced charges. 43.0 is quite mild actually. The action might not cycle reliably though.
Old December 8, 2007, 07:49 PM   #5
Unregistered

What kind of fps would you expect to get out of an M1A loaded with this recipe?
Old December 8, 2007, 08:57 PM   #6
crowbeaner

Well, the WW data booklet says 2860 with a 150 SP and 48.5 of 748 but we all know that the mfgs. can print what they want to. I'd say more like 2500 with your load of 43.0 gr. Every gun is different, and what it does in one rifle may be faster or slower depending on a lot of factors. The only sure way to know is to chrono your load. I like to load as close to the book as the rifle's appetite will let me with Olin powder. Interesting that the pressure with the 48.5 load says 48000 cup. In my rifle I start to see pressure signs around 47.0, and the case runs out of space for the powder there. Ball powder is hard to compress, and can be quirky with some certain powders. I recall that WW 785 was tricky to load in some calibers like the 8mm and the 338 WM. It had to be loaded just as the book said; same with 296 and magnum pistol loads. The book says that 50.1 of 760 will yield 2700 fps. with a 150 and that charge comes right to the base of the neck in my brass; pressure is listed as 40500 cup. Hope this helps. Enjoy. CB.