The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 21, 1999, 10:02 PM   #1
Hard Ball

I am curious as to why actual 19th century double action revolvers produced from 1878 to 1900are not allowed in a CAS match but modern replica single action revolvers produced in 1999 are allowed. If the objective of CAS is to shoot weapons similar to those actually carried and used in the old west it seems strange not to allow 1878 Colt and 1880 Smith&Wessons.
Old December 21, 1999, 11:48 PM   #2
Ned Roundtree

Good thought. But I guess they couldn't call themselves Single Action Shooting Society. Again, like most sports to distinguish themselves from other shooting sports where you would shoot double action revolvers. And to put everyone on a more level playing field. You can shoot some double actions if they qualify as a pocket pistol, barrel length and manufacture date. But the main revolver is Single Action. The single action does "set the tone and spirit" for what they are trying to accomplish.
Old December 22, 1999, 01:07 AM   #3
Joe West

Hard Ball,
I started shooting in CAS matches over 10 years ago so I have the advantage of having heard many questions about SASS asked many times. I've also heard the answers given by various members of the Wild Bunch.
Having persuaded many folks to give SASS a try, I'll give you my version of the answer.
When we were growing up our heros were the movie and tv cowboys. I grew up with horses and western tack. I dreamed of Colts and Winchesters. None of my cowboy heros normally used double action pistols. They didn't shoot bolt action rifles. SASS has a historical side but it is a fantasy game with safety and fun the main components. SASS does allow some double action pocket pistols in side matches or as a staged, match provided gun. WASA and NCOWS have different rules if you want to play by a different set than SASS. They allow you to use historical double action or even some semi-auto pistols as main match guns. Also there are many unaffilliated CAS clubs shooting by their own rules. If you shoot with the Cherokee Cowboys, it'll be by SASS rules.
Joe West