The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 29, 2008, 11:38 AM   #1
chickenman

Bayonet on an 870?

First post here.....I want to add a bayonet on my 870. Why you ask... just because. There has been talk about a kind of lug to use to make this happen but I have a mag extension. Anyone know?

Old July 29, 2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Joat

The Bayonet lug is to mil spec NATO for standard M16, M4 C7, C8 bayonets.

It replaces the current barrel/magazine band. http://www.sjhardware.com/870Bayo.html

Joat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lugNextension.jpg (5.3 KB, 3734 views)

Last edited by Joat; July 29, 2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: add link
Old July 29, 2008, 12:48 PM   #3
sporty06

Remington did make a factory bayo lug that went over a +3 extension on a 20" barrel but they are hard to find and pretty expensive.
Old July 29, 2008, 01:08 PM   #4
chickenman

thanks yall.

What does the entire set up look like? What style of bayonet.
Old July 29, 2008, 08:50 PM   #5
mikenbarb

Im sure it looks silly and im still asking myself why? But whatever floats your boat. Chaaaaaarge!
Old July 29, 2008, 08:55 PM   #6
daveydoo

tried to fit a m7 to 590 noted the ring is too small, must be for a m9 bayonet.
Old July 29, 2008, 09:13 PM   #7
Ruger4570

Bayonet on a shotgun???? Just load a few more rounds. Talk about useless Tackycool...
Old July 29, 2008, 09:31 PM   #8
T.A.Sharps

Wow, that is awsome, I want that next time I go party hunting deer.

Imagine the [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] you can give everyone else if you get a deer with the bayonet!
Old July 29, 2008, 10:00 PM   #9
Scattergun Bob

chickenman

Please only use this as fluff, the original bayonet attachment for a M870 was a massive support piece I remember to be 2 1/2 to 3" long and fully locked and supported the mag extension to the barrel. Had one in southeast Asia for awhile, fitted a M-7 bayonet.

I would be concerned about springing the mag extension if I did any serious frog gigging with that new fangled piece.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old August 1, 2008, 06:33 AM   #10
Icopy1

There's a seller on Ebay who occasionally sells the original military version. It sells for approx 200 with shipping.
Old August 1, 2008, 04:46 PM   #11
spoolup

Here is a photo of the M870 and the bayonet mount. Yes they are expensive, I seen a few for $600. Yeah its overkill. I have 4 870s, and acutally bought a M590A1 because one can neer own enough guns, they are stout as hell (as is the 870), and yes it holds a bayonet.

The M870 I was talking about

My 590
Old August 1, 2008, 05:42 PM   #12
L_Killkenny

too funny!!!

LK
Old August 1, 2008, 06:11 PM   #13
RedneckFur

Bayonett on a shotgun? Its not April first...
Old August 1, 2008, 07:03 PM   #14
chickenman

spoolup,
I am not a Mossberg fan but might be now. Do tell more....what is thelug/mag deal you have going on there?

LK,
Overkill? Why not right?
Old August 1, 2008, 09:27 PM   #15
spoolup

The mossies are easy, just a standard 590 with accessory lug.... I guess thats the political way of say bayonet lug since thats about all it can hold really. Its the M590A1, model 51668, which has the heavy barrel, ghost ring sights, speed feed stock, 8 shot tube, 20" barrel. Then I threw on a Lancay M9-LW bayonet. Will ever be used. No. Does it turn heads... oh yeah. I also thew on Vangs oversized saftey and their follower since the photo. I still have a factory parked heat shield to toss on there just havent had the drive to modify it to fit since they do not easily fit the heavy barrel but can be done. Its my only mossie and I am very happy with it. Even without the blade it still looks sharp

M24 from ARF.com has this photo of his with the shield.
Old August 2, 2008, 04:42 PM   #16
arizona98tj

30 some years ago, when I was doing an 8 year hitch in the Navy, I worked at a small gun shop in Chesapeake, VA. I enjoyed shooting and this funded my habit without impacting the family budget.

One Saturday evening, after closing up shop, we cut off a section of barrel on an old trade-in 12 gauge Savage pump. I needed something to hunt deer with since VA had mostly shotgun hunting areas (where I hunted).

We finished the barrel shortening and then started joking around about a bayonet. I belonged to a nice gun club at the time and while I spent 95% of my range time with rifle and pistol, I would occasionally shoot a couple rounds of skeet. I was less than half the age of the typical skeet shooter and didn't have a high end over-under or side-by-side....and I didn't even one of those leather pads on the end of my shoot upon which to rest my shotgun. (more about this later)

So yeah....a bayonet was adapted to the Savage. An old German WWI rifle donated the original lug which was heavily modifed....and I got my first lesson on silver soldering. We had to modify the bayonet a bit to fit over the barrel, but that was pretty easy.

I still have the Savage and would never part with it....just too fun to shoot and it has for years been the icebreaker for many conversations with complete strangers. Besides that, those skeet shooters from 30 years ago didn't know what to think when I shot a round with the Savage, bayonet and all. After a station, I would stick it into the ground while the rest patiently waited their turn with their high $$ shotgun resting on that little leather pad.

Here are a couple of recent photos.....

The lug we made. The bluing has worn off (I blued everything when we were done) since it was installed but given the number of times that bayonet has been on and off, it only means it has seen some use.

Last edited by arizona98tj; August 2, 2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: typo corrections
Old August 2, 2008, 05:27 PM   #17
branham700

where can you get a bayonet lug for a mossberg 500?
Old August 2, 2008, 05:54 PM   #18
bclark1

You could always just employ BUIS (backup iron swords). I think Blackhawk makes a MOLLE attachment for katanas, scimitars and tactical-length dirks.

Naw, good luck with it. If you Macguyver something, let's see how it turns out
Old August 2, 2008, 07:33 PM   #19
chickenman

I want to add one BUT I also want the surefire setup. Im sure there is a rail deal I could hook up with a light and a bayoney but that looks like ass I think.

Thank you all.
Old August 2, 2008, 08:15 PM   #20
mikenbarb

This is tooooo funny.LOL. Just get a nice military rifle that a bayonet belongs on. It will look alot nicer on an Enfield than on a tacticool shotty.
Old August 2, 2008, 10:32 PM   #21
arizona98tj

Quote:
It will look alot nicer on an Enfield than on a tacticool shotty
Already did that too. I have a very nice Wilkinson Sword (London, England) manufactured bayonet on my 577/450 Martini Henry Enfield. The only problem with it is that it is sooooooooooooo long....talk about reaching out and touching some one. I find my Savage with its bayonet much easier to wield in confined spaces.
Old August 2, 2008, 10:58 PM   #22
hoytinak

chickenman,

Where ya at in N. Texas? While you're at it with the bayonet and light, here's another thread about a "cool" tactikool accessory you might like. http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=304821
Old August 2, 2008, 11:17 PM   #23
imp

If you want my 2 cents, and I'm sure nobody does, a bayonet on a shotgun makes just as much sense as a bayonet on a rifle. Maybe even more so. Most military rifles hold 20-30 rounds, whereas a shotgun is going to hold 8-9 max.

I'm not sure that civvies need bayonets on rifles or shotguns, but I can hardly ridicule the man with a bayonet on his shotgun when I have on for my rifle.
Old August 3, 2008, 10:24 AM   #24
mikenbarb

Its just another thing that adds to the length of the HD gun. Its just something else that isnt needed and can put you in harms way if it gets stuck on something as the BG is coming at you. Too many useless add ons and not enough thought behind them. It makes an 18" barrel turn into a 26" sharp pointy one that can get caught and hung up on something very easy. I dont see the point except to look tacticool.
Old August 3, 2008, 12:30 PM   #25
Juhosaphat

You never know. The BG might just run into it when the time comes

I don't see much point to it either besides trying to make your gun look cool, but you can find the lugs. Just have to take a look