The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 30, 2005, 09:02 AM   #1
Clayfish

Close call

Last night my wife and I were well... distracted when I heard the garage door slam shut! Immedeatly our eyes got the size of baseballs and she said "did you lock the doors"? I did not since we weren't going to bed for the night yet. My two dogs were distracted wrestling in the other room. Whe told me to go check it out so I opened the night stand drawer and retrieved my CZ-40b. I quietly racked the slide and made my way into the kitchen area. The lights in the house were still on so I had no need for a flashlight. The door was unlocked so I locked and latched it. The other two doors were locked. I then proceded to clear the house making my way through the guest room and closet, The guest bathroom and shower, then to the office and office closet, and finally the laundry room and utility closet. Thank God no one was in the house. As best i figure the dogs must have been wrestling and one threw the other into the door. I'm not suprised, they're pretty rough with each other. I learned two things last night. Always, always lock the doors when I come in at night, and if something does happen I can and will defend my home and more importantly, my wife. The ironic thing is that yesterday afternoon I decided it was time to refamiliarize myself with the Georgia state gun laws and the right to protect myself laws. I'm just thankful I didn't have to use my pistol.
Old August 30, 2005, 09:23 AM   #2
ckp_hokie

FWIW, another lesson learned might be to have a round already chambered. Should a BG already be inside your home, that 2 sec. could prove costly. Just my $.02. I have never had a ND and I ALWAYS have my nightstand gun at the ready, locked and loaded.
Old August 30, 2005, 09:28 AM   #3
Clayfish

yep. #3 lesson learned. One stays in the pipe from now on. The wife will just with it.
Old August 30, 2005, 10:51 AM   #4
BatmanX

Revisit the rules.

Since you have dogs (let them bark or do whatever they do to someone in the house), and it was just the two of you, is it possible the BG could have gotten behind you? ie: Between you and your WIFE!

Pick up the phone and call the policia.
It is not a good idea to clear the house yourself.

Current shopping list:
Bersa Thunder 9mm
CZ SP01

Current Ownage:
CZ-P01
Bersa .380 (Duo tone)
Kel Tec P3AT (SG)
Stoeger 2000 (black syn.) 26"
Winchester Model 97 12 gauge FULL
Marlin Firearms Model 60 22LR
Old August 30, 2005, 11:34 AM   #5
Clayfish

Quote:
Since you have dogs (let them bark or do whatever they do to someone in the house), and it was just the two of you, is it possible the BG could have gotten behind you? ie: Between you and your WIFE!
Not possible when my wife shuts the door behind me and locks it. She had the phone and knew if she heard anything to call 911. My house is set up if you stand in the living room you can see the whole house besides the rooms.
Old August 30, 2005, 01:36 PM   #6
BatmanX

10-4 good thing you have everything planned out.
There are not many that have plans.

Good job.

Current shopping list:
Bersa Thunder 9mm
CZ SP01

Current Ownage:
CZ-P01
Bersa .380 (Duo tone)
Kel Tec P3AT (SG)
Stoeger 2000 (black syn.) 26"
Winchester Model 97 12 gauge FULL
Marlin Firearms Model 60 22LR