The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 8, 2001, 10:29 PM   #1
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

I want to re-do this gun … What do you suggest?

I have this Springfield Ultra compact V-10. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=1&res=high

The gun functions well in that it has no feed or extraction problems and it groups well. It does shoot extremely low though. I am planing on replacing the sights with a quality set of night sights that are designed for the compact 1911’s . I would appreciate any suggestions on specific brands. The weapon also has very sharp corners and edges. I have been thinking of performing a “melt down” by buffing all sharp edges. I’ve never done this before and would appreciate any pointers on what to do. After that is finished I’ll need to refinish it (need suggestions on this as well). Last list any other improvement that you would add to this weapon if you were going to make it a daily CCW piece.

thanks

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old October 8, 2001, 11:13 PM   #2
Coltdriver

I recently shipped a MAK 90 to the shootin iron for a refinish that is a combination of parkerizing with a poly over lay.

I should get it back this week or early next week. I will let you know how it turns out.
Old October 9, 2001, 05:18 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Scott, take a look at Novak's low mount sights. You can have tritium inserts installed in them for around $80.00. Dehorning a pistol is simply rounding off the corners. You just polish it and make sure that you do the things you normally try to avoid. I'd add an extended thumb safety. I think that's about all you need. George