The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 16, 2015, 11:28 PM   #1
mjes92

Looking for Shotshell data

I have the following components.
Universal powder
Fed. 209A primers
2-3/4" Winchester AA hulls
1-1/8 oz. Rem. R12H wads

For some reason I am unable to find any 1-1/8 oz. published data with this combination of components. Checked several manuals and Hodgdon on-line.

I found a recipe using Longshot but don't want to buy a powder that I normally don't use. I have a bag of Wads I want to use up.

Does anyone have the recommended powder Charge for this load?
I have an idea of a starting power charge but prefer using published data.
I have never worked up my own load for shotshell before.

Thanks
NRA - Life Member
Old November 17, 2015, 05:50 AM   #2
hartcreek

What else do you load with? Red Dot, Green Dot, 231, Unique?
Old November 17, 2015, 10:25 AM   #3
SonOfGun

I can find no data for the components you list. You may have to use a different hull or a different wad.

Shotgun reloading does not allow much leeway in combination of components.

You need to match all components.

(edit) I did find some data, first one uses PB powder and the second uses Unique the third uses Green Dot.

Last edited by SonOfGun; November 17, 2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old November 17, 2015, 11:59 AM   #4
mjes92

other powders

I formerly used Clays, but I haven't seen a pound of that in almost 2 years.

Looks like I will have to concede to buying a pound of Longshot to try.

Has anyone out there had experience using Longshot for Shotshell loading?
Dirty? Clean burning? Opinions?

Thanks
NRA - Life Member
Old November 17, 2015, 12:36 PM   #5
SonOfGun

Do you have data for Longshot? If not why would you spend money on powder with out knowing if it will work? Try one of the powders already recommended.
Old November 17, 2015, 02:29 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

There's AA, 1 1/8 oz, Universal data using Fed 209A primers on Hodgdon's site. No mention of wads for most loads. Don't know anything about shot shell loading though.
"...have never worked up my own load for shot shell before..." Read the book.
Old November 17, 2015, 06:09 PM   #7
SonOfGun

Quote:
"...have never worked up my own load for shot shell before..."
You do not "work up a load" in shotshell loading. You use published data from a reliable source.

Published data will list hull, primer, wad and powder and shot weight.
Old November 17, 2015, 08:44 PM   #8
mjes92

Please read original post. Yes load data for longshot powder with these components does exist.
NRA - Life Member
Old November 17, 2015, 09:42 PM   #9
hartcreek

SonOfGun

Yes you do work up a load with shotgun reloading and you use a patterning board but you stay with shotgun powders to avoid surprises. By working up your charge you get the best out of your choke/load combination.

I have loading data for the powders I listed as I also load 12 gage..... 2 1/2, 2 3/4 and 3 inch.

I can make a scan of the data that I have if you need it and post it so others can benefit. Patterning a shotgun is just as complicated as getting that right load for your rifle as you have different wads, weight ranges of powder, different powders and of course shot size all combined with chokes.

There will probably be some in this group that do not have the skill set to do it so they just will say no you just have to burp out recipes......that aint so.

I have loadings with layered shot, copper wire, used primers and even rock salt it just aint a big deal once you get the hang of it.

Last edited by hartcreek; November 17, 2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old November 17, 2015, 10:13 PM   #10
FITASC

Wrong, you do NOT work up loads. You try various ones at the pattern board according to the recipes. There are certain compatible subs in primers and wads, but those are limited.

There is data for 7/8, 1, and 1-1/8oz loads on the powder maker's website.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 18, 2015, 04:18 PM   #11
BigJimP

Longshot is a poor choice ...unless you want a high velocity shell for some reason ( over 1450 fps )...which makes no sense for target loads in my view.

I've used a little bit of Longshot ...in 12ga and 20ga ....and the recoil is a little snappier than I'd prefer.../ and I don't want any target shells over 1200 - 1225 fps...just beats you up mentally ..if you're going to shoot 8 or 10 boxes a day.../ in fact I don't shoot hardly anything over 1 oz anymore in a 12ga...

Longshot is primarily designed as a " Heavy Field Load" powder....or for high velocity Hangun loads.../ so a lot of us have some 4lb cannisters of it ...that we haven't used up in the last 10 yrs...
--------------------
Hodgdon Universal is showing up more and more ...some Cableas had some this week...in 1 lb and 8 lb cans.../ price per lb is up to over $30-- and the 1lb cans I saw were only 14 oz..../ ...but it should be available in many areas now.

But you'll have to switch wads to use Universal in 1 1/8 oz loads for Win AA's and that primer.../ don't substitute in shotshell components...primers, etc are not interchangeable...in shotshell loads.

Last edited by BigJimP; November 18, 2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old November 18, 2015, 08:46 PM   #12
snuffy

Quote:
Yes you do work up a load with shotgun reloading and you use a patterning board but you stay with shotgun powders to avoid surprises. By working up your charge you get the best out of your choke/load combination.
No you don't! Hartcreek, you're skating on thin ice. Shotguns are NOT anything like handguns or rifles. Pick a load from the books, find the exact components for that load, then assemble the shells.

Substitute ONE of the components, you may have a dangerous load! Way back when (before the internet), I read of a published 1-¼ heavy field load that was widely used for ducks. It ran at 1350 fps, of course lead shot. A reloader ran out of the correct primer, substituted a Alcan max-fire for a Winchester 209. Fired the first shell in his 870, it nearly busted his shoulder, the pump wouldn't cycle, he gave it a mighty tug, broke the extractor. The empty hull had to be removed by a gunsmith the next day. The plastic case had fused to the chamber, the brass head had flowed into the extractor cut. The gun survived, says a lot about the strength of the ol' 870 Remington.

12 ga. shotguns in 2-¾, and 3' operate at 10,000 LUP. 3-½ 12 ga. loads operate at 11,500 LUP. More than that you will stretch the chamber, could even burst it.

There's 100's of different ways to build shotgun shell hulls/cases. Some have high base wads, some have medium base wads, some have low base wads, some have NONE! The plastic tubes/walls can be entirely straight from top to bottom, some are tapered top to bottom. That means the wads have to be straight or tapered to fit properly. Putting a tapered wad in a straight walled case makes the wad not even touch the wall of the hull when it's on top of the powder. The powder can move past the wad during handling, probably won't all ignite. Turn it the other way a straight wad in a tapered hull will be severely pinched at the powder charge, may not even set on it at all.

In case you're wondering, I started loading shotgun in 1972, I've lost count of how many I've loaded, has to 50,000.

I just checked the load data site, no loads for universal and the R12H wad. Lots for other wads, but not the R12H.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?