The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 13, 2013, 05:55 PM   #1
microman

My last gun show

I'm up in Kansas City, MO visiting some relatives and got talked
into going to a local gun show today.

I didn't really see anything new. I got to play with a ruger sr22
which I have been thinking about getting. Not going to pay what
they were asking for it.

All the prices were too high. I won't even tell you what ar-15's
were priced at

This will be my last gun show. Better deals to be found in the
local gun shops and big chain stores.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Achilles11B

Saw the same thing over here in the St. Louis area, lots of price gouging. $6K for a Scar-17, $900 for 55gr .223 FMJ. Even after the hysteria dies down, I don't think I'll be going back to any more shows.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:20 PM   #3
TheNocturnus

Was at my LGS in KCMO today (Claycomo actually, but close enough) and their prices had gone up on everything. They would not sell practice ammo unless you paid for a range rental.

.223 ammo was going for $1 per round. 1000 round case, $1000. 20 round box, $20. Insane.
Used Kel Tec PF9 was $295. New gen 3 Glocks were $569 when they used to be $499. Most cases, while usually stuffed full, were very picked through and barren.

I can't wait for this to all blow over.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 14, 2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Skans

My last gun show will not be my last gun show. But, next time, I'm not going to pay to go inside. I'm just going to hang around outside to do some trading.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:41 PM   #5
TheNatureBoy

Same here in Hampton, Va. A waste of my time and money.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:56 PM   #6
bikerbill

I haven't been to a gun show in a long time ... as for jacking up prices, I just ordered an XDs at a big gun store in Austin; $50 below list ... there are still some folks who won't take huge advantage of their customers to make a quick buck, but gun show peddlers aren't in that group, I'm guessing ...
Old January 14, 2013, 02:06 PM   #7
globemaster3

Quote:
Prices are not going to be coming down.
Unless some kind of legislation is passed, prices will come down. Its happened before. Study history long enough and you can see the future.
Old January 14, 2013, 02:10 PM   #8
MDB

I go to the gun shows whenever there is one in my area. When the prices are to high for me to buy that is when I sell. I have sold a few guns, reloading supplies and hunting items. I like them and will continue to go.
Old January 14, 2013, 02:17 PM   #9
Skans

Prices do drop. Even for banned items. You can look at machineguns as an example - they went through a bit of a decline recently. After the last AW ban, prices of grandfathered guns eventually came down a little.

There is no shortage of AR's or AK's out there. Or ammo. Just a lot of hoarding going on right now. Eventually, people will need to buy butter again and will be looking to sell some of their guns.

Now is the time to buy a military style rifle if you don't have one and want one. Now is not the time to spend money to hoard multiples of stuff you already have - those are the same people who bought dot.coms in 1999 and got into real estate in 2006.
Old January 14, 2013, 02:51 PM   #10
dalegribble

my last gun show was 10+ years ago. i used to love going to them, sks $89, 380 amt backup $150, ak's $299, mosin's $59, cheap ammo, ammo boxes, cammo clothes and gear. these days between the parking and admission and used guns selling for more than new prices i can't even justify going just for the sightseeing. there is free parking and no admission costs at your local sportsmans warehouse, cabelas, bass pro shops or any local gun store and that is where i shop these days. if they ever manage to shut down local gun shows they won't be missed by me.
Old January 14, 2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Biner

I didn't start going to gun shows until about a year ago when I moved from CA to NM. I went with the expectation that I'd find a few things at good prices, but it seemed that everything at the show was at full retail or higher. I commented to my brother-in-law that gun shows must just be for people whose Internet is broken.

I can only imagine how the prices have climbed in the past month. The shows happen just about monthly here, but I don't think I'll even bother going to any of them until things cool back down.