The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 16, 2012, 03:49 PM   #1
Archarris

Question about Springfield 1903 reciever

So I have a fairly early Springfield 1903. Made in '23 I think. It was sporterized years ago by my grandfather. Now this rifle is just a shooter and is used for deer. On the inside left side of the receiver, maybe 1/2" behind the ejector is a small silver bump. This bump contacts with and has caused considerable wear on the portion of the bolt which straddles the ejector when the bolt is worked. It causes the bolt to be somewhat difficult to open and close. My question is what is it? Thanks for the help in advance.
Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reciever.jpg (90.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Worn Bolt.jpg (100.4 KB, 32 views)
Old October 16, 2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Slamfire

Don't lose it, those are hard to find.

It is called the bolt stop

The following text is from a 1903 dated document:

“Description and Rules for the Management of the U.S. Magazine Rifle, caliber .30, Model of 1903”

"The bolt stop, consists of the pin and the spring, riveted together in manufacture. The pin projects through its hole in the receiver just in front of the cut-off opening, and is held in place and operated by the spring which fits into a slot in the receiver in the rear of the magazine.

When the bolt is drawn fully to the rear, the pin enters a recess in the left locking lug of the bolt and retains the bolt in that position while the arm is being loaded
.”

Bolt stops are hard to find as they were generally tossed out. Given that the follower positively holds the bolt open on an empty magazine and single loading, perhaps the only justification for this part, hardly done, most bolt stops were removed at some point.

If you collect enough 03 bolts you will see the indents disappearing, and neither the bolt stop or lug indents survived to the M1903A3.
Old October 16, 2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Archarris

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't find any schematics with the part on them and my Smith Corona does not have one so I was beginning to think it may have been modified when it was sporterized.
Old October 16, 2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Archarris

Glad to hear that it's supposed to be there.
Old October 16, 2012, 09:33 PM   #5
Malamute

What does it do the the regular bolt stop/cutoff doesn't do? Edit: I get it now

I've never seen one like in the picture. I do have a rifle that has the hole for it, I didnt know what was supposed to be in it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Last edited by Malamute; October 16, 2012 at 09:39 PM.

Tags
springfield 1903