The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 20, 2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Joe_Pike

Question About Broomhandle Mauser

I was in a LGS yesterday and they had an old Broomhandle Mauser in the original display case with the wood stock that you can attach. I'm just curious as to why this can be sold in this configuration as a pistol. I thought it would be an SBR or AOW with the stock attached.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; June 20, 2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Title correction
Old June 20, 2012, 10:50 AM   #2
meatgrinder42

The Broomhandle and some very early P08 pistols (mostly Navy and Artillery) came from the factories with the stock/holsters and the ATFE made an exception for them.

But yes, if it was a permanently fixed stock it would be an SBR, if it was detachable it's an AOW.
Old June 20, 2012, 01:00 PM   #3
EOD Guy

Some of the Broomhandle Mausers and Lugers with shoulder stocks were removed from the National Firearms Act and classified as Curios or Relics under the Gun Control Act. They are listed in Section III of the Firearms Curios or Relics List.
Old June 20, 2012, 01:23 PM   #4
jonnyc

Not to mention some early Inglis and FN Hi-Powers.
Old June 20, 2012, 03:11 PM   #5
carguychris

FYI the C&R Section III exceptions for pistol shoulder stocks only apply to factory-original stocks and certain vintage collectible aftermarket stocks, typically those made by Ideal. IOW to be exempt from the NFA, the pistol must have the right shoulder stock, not just any old stock, and particularly not a stock custom-made in your garage.

It pays to do some research and avoid shoulder stocks that look fishy- e.g. incorrect or absent markings, or unusually clean wood or other hardware. Most of these stocks were dragged through the bush by soldiers, so they should NOT look new!

Fortunately, the Mauser C96 shoulder stock exception in the C&R book is more loosely worded than the shoulder stock exceptions for many other pistols; basically, if a C96 pistol's country of origin matches that of the shoulder stock, you're good. This is not necessarily the case for other pistols; the Luger shoulder stock exceptions, for example, are gruelingly detailed and specific. (This is probably due to the fact that most Lugers have fittings for shoulder stocks, even models that were never sold or issued with one; the reason is that the fittings were also used to affix the pistols to factory workbenches during assembly.)

Last edited by carguychris; June 20, 2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Minor reword...