The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 15, 2012, 03:00 PM   #1
9mm

Galco King Tuck Issues With G19

Hi, I am using a Galco King Tuck for my G19 and I notice when I draw, I take the holster out..... The clips that are on the GKT don't work to well, is there some sort of after market clasps that work better? and if so, they have to be the same belt look size as the standard ones. I think I found a pair once but it wasn't the same as the original. I have a Blackhawk cqc recuse belt and its wide. Thanks.
Old April 15, 2012, 07:54 PM   #2
7jinxed7

You can by the Comp-Tac clips separately. They work well, if they would fit. I have the DeSantis Intruder version of that holster and my mounting clips work well but i don't think you can buy them separate. I'm sure their is alot of other options out their. Maybe try a different belt.?
Old April 15, 2012, 08:24 PM   #3
9mm

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much
Old April 15, 2012, 08:34 PM   #4
TunnelRat

Weird. I have never had this issue with my GTK for my P229. As others mentioned are you using a decent belt?
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 16, 2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Andrewh

buddy had a king tuck issue like yours.
turns out it was molded too tight. trigger guard grabbed and it would pull the gun and holster too.

took it back to where he bought it and they compared and noticed that.
Old April 16, 2012, 04:36 PM   #6
9mm

Tunnelrat, my belt is a blackhawk cqc recuse, very good belt. and supports life weight, and using my caribbean clip.
Old April 16, 2012, 06:28 PM   #7
TunnelRat

How thick is it? I will admit my metal clips like a thicker belt. I tend to use leather for a gun belt, I shy away from nylon. But if it's worked for you in the past keep it, no reason to change kit that works.

Maybe you just got a lemon? All I was saying is that mine doesn't have this issue. I do find that a quick jerk upward is needed to unseat the pistol, not so much of a continuous tug.
Old April 16, 2012, 06:47 PM   #8
7jinxed7

I'm soooo sorry. I didn't realize you had all the answers to your own questions already.
Old April 16, 2012, 06:56 PM   #9
9mm

I know some people with galco king tucks they don't have this problem, I think it might just need breaking in. I havn't used it but a few holster draws to test it out. One of my old class mates said thats what he does when he gets a new kydex holster, just draw like a few dozen times, and bend the leather a bit, like body shape. To losen it up.
Old April 16, 2012, 07:54 PM   #10
X_shooter

Wonderful. It sounds like your problem is solved. I like to eliminate variables until I find a solution, but to each his own. If it were me, I might look at the following...

Is the belt too tight?
Is the belt too loose?
It the belt too wide and not allowing the clips to encircle and grab the belt?
Is the belt too thin allowing the clips to slip off?
Is the holster riding at the appropriate level of your belt line?
Does the gun holster and unholster with ease off of your body?
Have you tried softening and remolding the kydex with a heat gun to adjust retention?
Have you tried roughing the leather to grip better against your body? I recall these have the double layer with the nice and smooth leather.
Perhaps a picture or a video of you wearing the holster would help well meaning and experienced members analyze your issue to avoid arriving at unsubstantiated conclusions.
Old April 16, 2012, 09:32 PM   #11
Miketodd04

Sometimes these holsters can be overmolded I have found. If you are up to it (like I did) I used a hair dryer on it inside and out until it was nice and warm (but not melting hot where it would adhere to my pistol) and than slide the M&P into the holster. I let it cool with the pistol in the holster and it really helped! I also did this with my Theis Holster for my Sig 1911 and it helped to form to the pistol. I did not lose any retention and can hold my holster upside down and shake it without the firearm comming out.
Hope it helps.
Old April 16, 2012, 09:42 PM   #12
9mm

Quote:
Does the gun holster and unholster with ease off of your body?
No, you gotta hold it down good to pull out. Like I said, I draw my gun and it pulls the holster right out of my pants.
Old April 16, 2012, 10:12 PM   #13
TunnelRat

I'd just reholster a bunch of times.
Old April 17, 2012, 02:05 AM   #14
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
When the Galco King Tuck first came out, I bought one for a Colt Officer's. Literally could not get it out of the holster; short of a crow bar and/or cutting torch. I left it in the holster, on and off body, for almost one week; around the house, not out in the big world! Thinking that it just might help "form the leather".
Took it back to the gun shop, where it took two of us to remove the Colt; the owner and I. He gave me a refund and sent it back to Galco.

It was just as one would imagine it, "Ha! You can't get it out of the holster... let me see that... (insert grunting noises here and maybe a couple of "#$&%%*"s)... well... hmmm... help me out here... guess we'll send that one back."

Time passes, I buy a second one for the same 1911. This time, all is well. Works as advertised. I know that there are "hints" and "things" to do that may help, but I want a holster that does work straight from the factory; fitted for the gun, call me old-fashioned.

Now, go figure...