The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 19, 2015, 09:34 PM   #1
losixxx

Rust look on 38 spl die set

Today I was getting ready to reload some 38 spl and i noticed a rust look or rust it self on the bullet seater and crimp die, I checked the other reloading dies none of the others seem to have any. It only looks to be on the outside.
Is there a way to a, clean this off and b, to prevent this from happening again and to the other die sets.
Old November 19, 2015, 09:56 PM   #2
condor bravo

You'll get various replies on removing rust but one of the best is by the use of Naval Jelley, available from hardware or building supply stores. Comes in small pint quantities, not required to get enough to de-rust a battle ship. Apply with a brush, let sit, rinse with water and repeat if necessary. This is a pretty potent rust disolver and may leave a dull finish to the metal if originally polished. I have used it on a number of dies and the rust has so far not returned. There may be other dry ways recommended such as tumbling in your case polisher but not sure how effective that might be.

Last edited by condor bravo; November 19, 2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old November 21, 2015, 10:13 AM   #3
Whisper 300

I take the die over to my bench grinder set up with a bronze 8" brush (or wire wheel) and have at it.
Remove the surface rusting and liberally coat it in eeze-ox or Ballistol.

If I think it will be a long time before the next use, I spray a paper towel with CLP or Ballistol and zip lock bag it squeezing out all the air.
I have considered using the vacuum food saver but I am leary of pulling in vapors from the preservatives into the machine which I will later use on food.

Gary
Old November 21, 2015, 11:31 AM   #4
Metal god

I have the same thing on a couple dies but most do not ( which seems odd in it's self ) and my Hornady powder measure . I have so fare just left it there on the dies only because I just noticed it there a couple weeks a go . How ever the powder measure has had rust on it pretty much after about a month owning , so a few years now . I never wanted to apply any rust remover or oils so not to contaminate the powders .

I get that rust is bad to metals but how important is it to remove that "light" orange rust off ?

I'll take some pics later of the rust and you guys can tell me how bad they really are .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 21, 2015, 12:16 PM   #5
mikld

Since it's only on the outside, next time you tumble some brass just toss it in with the cases. A light coating of oil on the outside will deter any rusting and I know of fellers that wax their tools (good measuring tools, gauges, etc.).
Old November 21, 2015, 12:42 PM   #6
Ed Jaws

I wouldn't worry about it. I got a 35 years old set of Lyman 357 mag dies that have that red haze (nothing flaking off) type of surface rust to the knurled areas of the dies. I just take a small stainless steel brush to it and spray it with Hornady One Shot dry lube.

My old Lyman #55 powder measure has that same kind of surface rust inside and I cleaned it with the SS brush and gave it a good dose of powdered graphite in it while working all the slides to lube those too.
Old November 21, 2015, 01:14 PM   #7
lamarw

Take a few tea bags and make a small batch of very strong tea. Drop the rusty item(s) in and let soak a few hours. Rinse, dry with hair dryer then lightly lubricate.

Warning: Do not drink the tea afterwards.
Old November 21, 2015, 03:05 PM   #8
wogpotter

Evap-o-rust!
http://rustremover.net/evapo-rust_1-quart.htm
Seriously good stuff, water soluble, reusable & non toxic, doesn't even really have a smell.

dismantle, de-grease with alcohol, drop in & let soak overnight.

Remove wash with HOT water.

Dry thoroughly & use gun oil while still hot.

I inherited some seriously rusty dies & this fixed them up like new.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”